IS THIS THE START OF THE ANNUAL SLIDE?

This is what concerns me. The rest of our schedule is really tough. The team that some dreamer wrote could be a dark horse to win the national championship possibly won’t even make the tournament.
You don’t read so well.

The guy said Iowa could be a dark horse to compete for a NC if —

IF — IIIIFFF they can win some games on the road in the Big10.
THEN he would consider Iowa a dark horse

So he qualified his answer to a hypothetical question.

So, no, he’s not a dreamer.

But I’m sure you feel better for being able to type that this team “possibly” might not make the tournament.

If we lose to Nebraska at home we are definitely giving a stroke back to the field.

Getting swept by Nebraska in a year when the conference is wide open would be the classic Iowa thing to do. It would be like starting the season 0-2.

That said I give Nebraska about a two percent chance of beating us in Carver coming off a loss like Purdue. I think this team has too much mental resolve to let that happen.

I guess we'll see. The game the other night didn't inspire a lot of confidence but it's just one game.

The remaining schedule isn't easy so I DO expect some losses, but I still think 4-5 of our remaining games are winnable. I picked 5-4 to close it out (including a loss @Purdue), but 4-5 wouldn't shock me. If we finish 2-7 or 1-8 or something I'll be pretty peeved, but I'm not going to make any conclusions yet. The way we got our doors totally blown off does concern me, but hope the team flushes it and bounces back.

Lose to Nebraska, and I'll have to suspect that "the slide" is beginning. Win, and hopefully that means we're back on track.

I'm not saying anyone here specifically is feeling this way, but why does it seem like a lot of posters just CRAVE for this to happen. So much that they can't wait to post that it could be the start of the Fran fade? I mean, someone did back in early January after the Nebraska loss. What's the hurry for you guys to want to see this team fail?

See Depaul game. See the start of the Big 10 season. This team has shown it comes back from these types of games. I'm glad we have Nebraska at home. I don't see any slide coming. We got run off the court, but we weren't supposed to win that game on the road. With that said, I was incredibly disappointed along with every other hawkeye fan with the result of that game. I thought we had a chance to go in and get a win.

Hold your home court which we have done well this year. 2-6 talk is possible, but not likely. I would love to take the bet that Iowa wins more than 2 games the rest of the regular season. All the road games the rest of the way we will be underdogs. I think we can steal one of those with a good shooting night.

I'm not saying anyone here specifically is feeling this way, but why does it seem like a lot of posters just CRAVE for this to happen. So much that they can't wait to post that it could be the start of the Fran fade? I mean, someone did back in early January after the Nebraska loss. What's the hurry for you guys to want to see this team fail?
Do not want it to happen. But the remainder of the season looks very difficult for a team that in some games can't hit the broad side of a barn or defend the perimeter. I'd like the rest of the season to go 6-2 (actually 8-0 but that seems highly unlikely). But I fear it's going to be closer to 2-6. Certain players are going to have to really step it up.

You don’t read so well.

The guy said Iowa could be a dark horse to compete for a NC if —

IF — IIIIFFF they can win some games on the road in the Big10.
THEN he would consider Iowa a dark horse

So he qualified his answer to a hypothetical question.

So, no, he’s not a dreamer.

But I’m sure you feel better for being able to type that this team “possibly” might not make the tournament.

You honestly think 18-14 (IF Iowa goes 2-6 and IF it loses in the first round of the BTT) gets into the Dance? Dream on ...

You're probably right, but I'm certainly not one of those. I'm just used to seeing it happen, so it's my fear. But trust me, I want the team to succeed and roll into the NCAA Tournament with a good seed.

The January thread talked about how difficult the schedule was at the end of the year which was part of it. CJ injury uncertainty as well. We had a 5 game win streak where easily three of those games could have been losses. Even with that it still looks like it’s going to be a grind to get to 11 conference wins.

Also Iowa fans are mostly pessimistic by nature. We’ve been let down so many times before it’s just easier that way.

Last edited:
You honestly think 18-14 (IF Iowa goes 2-6 and IF it loses in the first round of the BTT) gets into the Dance? Dream on ...
even if that were to happen, Iowa's RPI and Net would still be really high and they would have a lot of good wins and baring a loss to Nebraska, not very many bad loses either. I don't think it would be a shoe in, but probably a double digit seed kind of deal and very bubalicious. The early season surge I think will really play well for the Hawks.

My real question on 2/7 is if the Iowa will be in the NCAA's top 16 that they reveal tomorrow or if they will be just short of that? Probably just short. I'd say they're probably projected a 5 seed or so right meow.

I for one certainly don't want to see Iowa fail (we've seen what happens to me when they do). I'd love for them to make the so called "Fran fade" a thing of the past. Kicking Nebraska's ass this weekend would make everyone feel better.

Honestly, where did I say that?
Where did anyone say that?

Honestly, do you make up straw man and claim somebody actually said it so that you can knock it down and feel good about yourself?

Are you so dishonest that you can’t respond to what I posted about what that guy said?

I'd say they're probably projected a 5 seed or so right meow.

giphy.gif

:D ;)

I agree we 'need' them to be. But I'm not betting on it are you? Kreiner can be ok at times. I think he's had 3 really good games. But that's about it. Evelyn has had 1 good game where we won because of him. Other then that he's hardly contributed. So I'm not getting my hopes up too high for that as much as it's needed.
If help is coming, it has to come from these two in my opinion. They simply need to up their games right now.

With the three point shot, and the game transitioning to its importance, any team that can shoot and get hot can beat any team that is "better" on paper.

Iowa's limitation will be depth, and getting exhausted, gassed when they need their best to advance in the tourneys. Exhaustion easily wears down Wieskamp's and CJ's shooting accuracy. Garza is more of a diesel engine.

Perhaps this is Fran's "Paradigm Shift" season where the team avoids going off the rails and gets even better when the finish line is in sight.

Certainly depth is a major issue now and will be down the road. The Purdue blowout is another story with little to do with depth. One issue we have that has not been mentioned much is that we start 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores, and 1 junior. Young teams at times just fail to show up. Experience counts, big time. I think the Purdue game might have showcased the experience factor along with some mentally and physically tired players. We will beat NB today.

Latest posts