Is this the PERFECT WINDOW to let go of Fran?

Fran's buyout is still way too high. Not to mention Barta was just handed an extension for his "excellent performance". Fran isn't going anywhere until Patrick is done. So saddle up fellas.

kQ5ttb05xXNE0c6trY_9jfqyuzaQyc09z-cAVzy6jss.jpg

Forget the money for the moment. Any time you axe a coach, there is a ‘cost’...current players transfer, recruits get outta there LOI, etc. Any time you change coaches, it ‘sets you back’ a year or two.

But, RIGHT NOW, the cupboard is all but bare. We have ZERO recruits with any pedigree coming in to help either.

This maybe the PERFECT window. The ‘cost’ to the program will NEVER be lower.

Thoughts?

When Carver starts to have empty seats during games, they will think about making a change. That's what finally happened with Alfraud. It might be getting to that.

I've ALWAYS been a Fran guy. 2 seasons ago my stance was "This guys built up so much good will over the past few years, and we have one bad season and we are all just gonna turn on him like this? Nah, that's filthy...he needs to be given the opportunity" - He bounced back last year. It was respectable. He built a little equity with me again. Then DJC, then Moss, then XF. Those are all hard to swallow. But I give him the benefit of the doubt. I gotta see the product on the floor ya know? Maybe he knows what he is doing. I expect respectable basketball for Iowa. I just do. Last night was an absolute joke and I just won't watch anymore. I LOVE Iowa hoops, I have never thought "hey, i am not gonna watch anymore" ...ever. Since I was like 6 years old. I'll literally do ANYTHING else with my time then spend another minute watching that dog shit.
This is where I’m at too. I love Iowa hoops, camped with Lutes staff.

Froze my ass walking across the lot to arrive at CHA at tip.
Attendance was pitiful, actually a disgrace.

First or second TO JBO tried to pick up team at bench, guys just kind of blew him off. Staff stood there forever, didn’t say a word - Fran finally jumped into huddle for a few seconds. Staff didn’t say anything cause they knew - we are effed.

There are too many things broken, IMO to fix now. FM has until Xmas to pull a rabbit out of his ass. I hope it happens, but don’t think it will.

I want a basketball program and Athletic Dept that is committed to winning - Period. Last night was unacceptable in so many ways.

Fran's buyout is still way too high. Not to mention Barta was just handed an extension for his "excellent performance". Fran isn't going anywhere until Patrick is done. So saddle up fellas.

That's the reality, isn't it?

However, should sense prevail, Barta at least is a plausible casualty. Now I really understand how black holes can suck light out of the cosmos..... don't need PBS to explain that to me anymore!

Most of the seats are empty. Barta will just say that's how college basketball is going.

It's not going that way at ISU or Creighton or Nebraska or.... ya know, pretty much anywhere else around here. I realize that no one is going to confuse Gary with a smart business man, but I know a little bit how it works. Each empty seat is worth a dollar amount to the U of I. Ticket cost, parking cost, concession cost. You add that # up and times that for every empty seat and that's the potential revenue you are losing every game. It's a lot more then 8 million dollars over the next 4 years. Iowa can afford to buy him out. Contracts are literally written to be broken - very few ever go term and we're 2 years past the "OMG, Iowa can't afford to fire Fran" point of the contract IMO.

Last edited:
Buyout or no buyout, Fran isn't going anywhere.

Even if they lose 20 games? Even if most nights are like last night? Not saying it will be that bad, but if it is that bad .... I would think it would at least be entertained. He definitely won't be getting an extension. To be honest, their revenue might bounce back this year because of last years showing. Last year it was bad, even though they had a decent team, mostly based of the 17/18 season. From a revenue stand point a bad season is really bad for the next year revenue. At some point, it is a business and you just have to cut it off or have hope and expectation that it will get better.

Even if they lose 20 games? Even if most nights are like last night? Not saying it will be that bad, but if it is that bad .... I would think it would at least be entertained. He definitely won't be getting an extension. To be honest, their revenue might bounce back this year because of last years showing. Last year it was bad, even though they had a decent team, mostly based of the 17/18 season. From a revenue stand point a bad season is really bad for the next year revenue. At some point, it is a business and you just have to cut it off or have hope and expectation that it will get better.

Nope, Barta won't fire him this year no matter what, unless there is some sort of incident.

Nope, Barta won't fire him this year no matter what, unless there is some sort of incident.

hmmm... interesting. I would say 2-19 to 20 loss seasons in 3 would definitely be cause. We both know there will likely be an incident at some point and Iowa might be able to get around the whole buy out thing all together.

Unfortunately, neither of the two would go anywhere after that kind of season. Gary would actually give him another extension for "recruiting" purposes. This is Iowa.

Maybe Gary is doing it the Wyoming way. Shit athletic program.

Hire Steve Lavin?? Didn't you hear him spitting out the recruits he sent to the NBA during the broadcast. Sounded like somebody wants back into coaching and wanted to get the resume out there.

I agree with many others. I've been a Fran guy. But this week it all came together. To be honest, I think it started with the commitment of the Murray Twins out of nowhere. Add in we lose Foster on Monday and the performance last night.

And it leaves a ton of doubt and uncertainty for the future of the program. So in reality, it's an overreaction of 1 game but I think it's the 2 things regarding recruiting that are making this loss seem much bigger.

Weird thought...stay with me...WHAT IF Fran is DONE with Iowa hoops? Maybe something internal, maybe something with his boys? And WANTS to be fired (instant CA$H buyout!), and as a last kick to the teeth, wants to RUIN THE PROGRAM, by getting MAC-level recruit commitments on the books. Maybe even pushed Xavier (lifelong Hawk family) to end up at a RIVAL school. Just a weird thought.

Weird thought...stay with me...WHAT IF Fran is DONE with Iowa hoops? Maybe something internal, maybe something with his boys? And WANTS to be fired (instant CA$H buyout!), and as a last kick to the teeth, wants to RUIN THE PROGRAM, by getting MAC-level recruit commitments on the books. Maybe even pushed Xavier (lifelong Hawk family) to end up at a RIVAL school. Just a weird thought.

No Chance on the above - DePaul is a very good team and a potential eye opener for the team. Were going to find out what the hawks are made of. But the fans can't abandon the team as if last nights result will be common place. Give the IA team a chance, and if you want better results SHOW UP FOR THE GAMES!!

Yep. I vaguely remember the Raveling years, but the 1986-87 team is what really made me a Hawk fan and the first year I remember with any kind of clarity. I loved Tom Davis, BJ Armstrong, Roy Marble, Ed Horton, Jeff Moe, etc. Still do. I cried like a little girl when Iowa lost to UNLV in '87 (hey, I was only 10). The next two years were fun, too. As a kid, it was magic. Those guys were the face of Iowa hoops for me, growing up, though. Second tier are guys like Settles, Woolridge, Earl, Val Barnes, Kingsbury, etc. Pretty good stuff. Maybe they weren't always the better team but you knew they would be competitive year in and year out, and they rarely got blown out by anyone. Just maybe Duke in the NCAA tournament, that type of thing.

I can't say how many games I've missed, but from the 80's into the 2000's, I never willingly missed a game. When I started discovering females, I missed a game here and there, though. :) The non-televised games like some of those tournaments in Hawaii, we'd have our little radio going and we'd listen in. I remember listening to Iowa beat Duke out in Hawaii in '94.

But in the 2010's, missing games and just blowing them off, has become more regular. It wouldn't take that much to bring me back, though.
I whipped a full baseball uniform at the TV, one item at a time, as Iowa imploded in the second half of that 1987 UNLV game. It's a story I've told before.

No Chance on the above - DePaul is a very good team and a potential eye opener for the team. Were going to find out what the hawks are made of. But the fans can't abandon the team as if last nights result will be common place. Give the IA team a chance, and if you want better results SHOW UP FOR THE GAMES!!
That Iowa team that showed up last night would absolutely get run out of Hilton. No contest.

Hoping for better days ahead.

Unfortunately, neither of the two would go anywhere after that kind of season. Gary would actually give him another extension for "recruiting" purposes. This is Iowa.
That's why athletic directors like to keep their coaches locked in for at least four years. If recruiting competition can use Fran's guaranteed years against him it's going to be harder for him to recruit than ever.

Latest posts