Is this the PERFECT WINDOW to let go of Fran?

The problem is that I saw too many telltale signs that this team could be worse than 2018. I saw, if anything, even less athleticism than that team had. I saw a team that struggled just to get into its offense. There were possessions where the shot clock was under ten and they hadn't moved it side to side yet, hadn't gotten it near the post. When things started to roll down hill there was no steadying influence out there to right the ship and before you knew it we were staring at 35-13 on our home floor.

You could at least count on the 2018 team to be able to get into its offense and score. Tuesday's offense looked like a Chinese fire drill.

I haven't even mentioned the defense yet. I don't know if I want to. All we can do I hope that it was one bad night, and that DePaul turns out to be better than predicted. But we have teams coming up in the horizon that are much better than DePaul.

Sounds like you've forgotten how bad that team was 2 years ago. I wish I could too. I almost feel bad reminding you, but we had plenty of trouble getting into our offense that year.

Wait a second. Monday night was the 2nd game of the year and the 1st big game, coming of a pretty decent season last year, and you didn't care to watch? What's up with that?

My expectations for this season are low. With Moss and Cook gone, and JBo clearly not 100%, that's a lot to lose from last year's 10 seed. It's not like we're not talking about losing a couple guys from the 1986-87 Hawks. Let's just say that I don't think this year's team is as talented as some others seem to think. Feel free to disagree, but that's my gut feel.

That was also the day of the Foster shunning, so yeah, I was in a bad mood regarding this program.

Last year is last year - my official prediction was NIT for this year's team. We'll see. Could be better, but after the other night, I fear it could be worse, as well. Only time will tell.

I've just become jaded towards Iowa hoops. It's an accumulation of a couple decades worth of frustration more than it is a "last year" or "this year" issue.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've forgotten how bad that team was 2 years ago. I wish I could too. I almost feel bad reminding you, but we had plenty of trouble getting into our offense that year.

Yeah, it'll be tough to be worse than two years ago. But if we're anywhere even close to half that bad, it's going to be a painful season.

DePaul reminded me of last year’s Rutgers team. So in hindsight it’s not that shocking that we struggled. I had no idea what kind of team DePaul was until we played them.

DePaul plays at Minnesota the day after Thanksgiving. Should be interesting to see what happens there.

Not that I know of....but you can pretty much expect a spike in sold seats THIS season solely based off of last seasons results. Either way, it's hard to call most home crowds half full and the B1G matchup needs the stars to align to even approach a sell out....ie, weekend, beautiful weather, a starting time that makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy.

I was told yesterday by a high ranking athletic department official that demand for basketball tickets is up significantly.

I was told yesterday by a high ranking athletic department official that demand for basketball tickets is up significantly.

all-the-presidents-men-deep-throat.gif

As will be the case following a season where we were an overtime away from the sweet 16. Will ticket sales be up next year if we go 14-19 (4-14) this year?

(For the record, I don't think the sky is falling after an early season loss, just playing devil's advocate. Ask me again around 9pm though...)

Last edited:
I could have rephrased my post. Our record could be worse than 2018 even if our team isn't, based on the schedule.

Im not sure if I agree with your last sentence. We averaged more points in 2018 (79.7, .479 field goal %) than 2019 (78.3, .456).

If you want to go into KenPom territory, the numbers for both years are almost identical. #19 in adjusted offense in 2018, #15 in 2019.

I could have rephrased my post. Our record could be worse than 2018 even if our team isn't, based on the schedule.

Im not sure if I agree with your last sentence. We averaged more points in 2018 (79.7, .479 field goal %) than 2019 (78.3, .456).

If you want to go into KenPom territory, the numbers for both years are almost identical. #19 in adjusted offense in 2018, #15 in 2019.

You don't remember all the posts saying Bohannon isn't a point guard because he can't even get us into our offense?

2 problems with letting Fran go:

1. He is owed a ton of money on the contract.

2. At least 3-4 current players would walk with him, and probably all the recruits except the Murrays.

The Hakweye basketball future is not bright.

I really like Fran and WANT him and Hawks to succeed. Here’s hoping it turns around and some of recruits coming will actually help. If Bohannon isn’t 100% all season, it could be rough yr though

Forget the money for the moment. Any time you axe a coach, there is a ‘cost’...current players transfer, recruits get outta there LOI, etc. Any time you change coaches, it ‘sets you back’ a year or two.

But, RIGHT NOW, the cupboard is all but bare. We have ZERO recruits with any pedigree coming in to help either.

This maybe the PERFECT window. The ‘cost’ to the program will NEVER be lower.

Thoughts?

The most recent class was actually pretty decent...

Last edited:

Latest posts