Is this the PERFECT WINDOW to let go of Fran?

hmmm... interesting. I would say 2-19 to 20 loss seasons in 3 would definitely be cause. We both know there will likely be an incident at some point and Iowa might be able to get around the whole buy out thing all together.
Are the empty seats at CHA this season already paid for?

I gotta admit it looks bleak right now. But I'll give FM the rest of this season before I decide whether to support him or not.

Are the empty seats at CHA this season already paid for?

Not that I know of....but you can pretty much expect a spike in sold seats THIS season solely based off of last seasons results. Either way, it's hard to call most home crowds half full and the B1G matchup needs the stars to align to even approach a sell out....ie, weekend, beautiful weather, a starting time that makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy.

Last edited:
Fran's buyout is still way too high. Not to mention Barta was just handed an extension for his "excellent performance". Fran isn't going anywhere until Patrick is done. So saddle up fellas.

Speaking of Patrick, what kind of shot does have? It honestly looks like the old set shot from long ago when a jump shot was considered traveling..

But he played at NDSU ... :)

page_104.jpg
I did not recall that from my time in that era at North Dakota. Now I really have a reason to hate that Bison puke.

Kentucky beat Michigan State. Kentucky lost at home to Evansville. This stuff happens all the time in college basketball...even to the elite programs.

We’re most definitely not Kentucky. But I’m not convinced we’re a 20 loss team either. Garza, JW and JB can play. I really like our 2 freshman guards. It’s too early for me to even begin to draw conclusions about this team.

I don't disagree (assuming last night was an omen for how this year will go), but might have to ask this guy how he feels about that:

154614390.jpg.0.jpg
If you want to know what someone will do in the future, look what they've done in the past to get your answer.
Hell will freeze over before Barta fires Fran or KF.

Kentucky beat Michigan State. Kentucky lost at home to Evansville. This stuff happens all the time in college basketball...even to the elite programs.

We’re most definitely not Kentucky. But I’m not convinced we’re a 20 loss team either. Garza, JW and JB can play. I really like our 2 freshman guards. It’s too early for me to even begin to draw conclusions about this team.

I've come down off the edge a little today... it was just how badly we lost and how inept we looked. I realize it's early in the year and I'll be honest, i probably let the 17/18 team creep into my head a lot more then I should have.

I reserve judgement about this season until more of the season unfolds. But no matter what happens I don't want Barta choosing the next coach in either football or hoops. So I think the best question for the long-term is when does Gary leave? When Ferentz hangs it up? It certainly doesn't seem like anything will remove him before then.

It's really up to Fran. I would have no problem hitting the reset button. I would though like to see Iowa play with a lineup aimed to the future. I want to see players that can defend a little. Less Conner, JBo ( until healthy), and Nudge (until he earns it). Start Joe and Joe, Garza, Kreiner, and the hot hand. Forget about score, let these guys ball. Simplify everything, just yank em if they don't play D.

I've come down off the edge a little today... it was just how badly we lost and how inept we looked. I realize it's early in the year and I'll be honest, i probably let the 17/18 team creep into my head a lot more then I should have.
The problem is that I saw too many telltale signs that this team could be worse than 2018. I saw, if anything, even less athleticism than that team had. I saw a team that struggled just to get into its offense. There were possessions where the shot clock was under ten and they hadn't moved it side to side yet, hadn't gotten it near the post. When things started to roll down hill there was no steadying influence out there to right the ship and before you knew it we were staring at 35-13 on our home floor.

You could at least count on the 2018 team to be able to get into its offense and score. Tuesday's offense looked like a Chinese fire drill.

I haven't even mentioned the defense yet. I don't know if I want to. All we can do I hope that it was one bad night, and that DePaul turns out to be better than predicted. But we have teams coming up in the horizon that are much better than DePaul.

Depaul was a bad matchup for Fran, they were quick and out hustled us. We will have more of these type games. If Fran would change a little more to half court games in these matchups we would compete better.
But thats like asking Kirk to change so it is what it is, Groundhog Day in Iowa City.

What Iowa needs is a new basketball facility that will just WOW the recruits. It’s time to move on from Carver Arena. It can remain as a venue for practice or something, but it’s time for a new home for our basketball team. Then, if the recruiting and the product that we put on the floor doesn’t improve, then it will be time for Fran to move on. We need to give Fran all the tools he needs to sell Iowa to the recruits. This starts will a new arena. No matter who we bring in here, it’s just gonna be the same old story until we make the improvements that are necessary.

DePaul reminded me of last year’s Rutgers team. So in hindsight it’s not that shocking that we struggled. I had no idea what kind of team DePaul was until we played them.

DePaul reminded me of last year’s Rutgers team. So in hindsight it’s not that shocking that we struggled. I had no idea what kind of team DePaul was until we played them.
I thought that as well, made a comment on it in the game thread. I could see Rutgers passing some people in the standings this year, unfortunately (cause we are one of those "some people")

Meanwhile, the media and publications are at it again. They are so intemt on making Illinois basketball relevant again that they think they can almost will it to happen if they push it often enough.

Its like Nebraska football, but a different school and sport. I will say this as subtly as possible: ILLINOIS DOES NOT PLAY DEFENSE!!!!!!! They got rolled by Arizona about as bad as we got rolled by DePaul. DePaul would smack Illinois. But, some are already putting Giorgi B and Ayo Dosunmu on honorable mention all America teams. Let's pump the brakes on Illinois love until they prove they can stop teams.

What Iowa needs is a new basketball facility that will just WOW the recruits. It’s time to move on from Carver Arena. It can remain as a venue for practice or something, but it’s time for a new home for our basketball team. Then, if the recruiting and the product that we put on the floor doesn’t improve, then it will be time for Fran to move on. We need to give Fran all the tools he needs to sell Iowa to the recruits. This starts will a new arena. No matter who we bring in here, it’s just gonna be the same old story until we make the improvements that are necessary.
Yes. Build it, they will come. EVERYONE is doing it. Our hoops facilities are antiquated, especially compared to the money we dump into football

I may have hit a souring period a little faster than you, but that's basically where I'm at, and have been at. I thought two years ago was basically a fluke since last year looked like a bounce back to "normal", but after last night, I'm not so sure.

I've really enjoyed Hawkeye Football over the years, but hoops is my true passion.. It's what I grew up on. My household as a kid, it was must watch TV for all of us. Football was kinda optional. So it really pains me to see what this program has been basically the last 20 years, and it doesn't look promising heading forward from where I'm sitting, either.

During the Lickliter years, I was still a die hard, and I couldn't help myself. I had to tune in, knowing full well what the result was probably going to be. That's starting to change. Like you, I never thought I would hit this point. I knew there was a game last night.. I simply didn't feel like watching and I'm glad I didn't.

I've become totally apathetic to the outcome of the games, but as for the program, I still care very much, and I'm pissed. It's an accumulation of the last two decades, absolutely, not just yesterday's events. But I'm not gonna sugar coat that anymore.
Wait a second. Monday night was the 2nd game of the year and the 1st big game, coming of a pretty decent season last year, and you didn't care to watch? What's up with that?

I'm not saying he should be fired, but I do not think paying an $8M buyout could be considered "the perfect window."

Latest posts