Is there a single Big 10 player you really don't care for?

Yup. I wish he could play 4 more years for us. He's not flawless by any means. But any coach would take him in a heart beat
If I was Fran, I would spend one hour after each practice, showing videos of Baer to the rest of the team: see how he is moving before the shot comes down, how he thinks before he moves to box someone out, how he helps out on defense, how he moves inside a defender who is too lazy to box him out for the rebound, how he drops off his man to help out or protect a passing lane when his guy is away from the ball, how he gives 100% until he is tired out and asks for a rest rather than resting on the defensive end, how he uses his left hand to block a shot to avoid a foul, how he is constantly offering defenders quick pass fakes to move them before he takes a clear look 3 pointer...over and over. It is astounding how he can do this and others seem to be standing around, clueless at times, as to what fundamental basketball actually looks like and how successful your team can be when everyone is doing it!

I always like Jeff Moe, saw him and Al Lorenzen play in a HS all star game where I was going to graduate school. Got to talk to them since I was the student SID at the time. Both very humble, pleasant.
That would have been a cool job, and a cool time to have that job. Jeff Moe was definitely a fan favorite

Bill Frieder had a slightly different opinion of him. Then again, Frieder could be an insufferable curmudgeon.

Moe was a Lambda Chi Alpha pledge when a couple Lambda Chi's lived directly below me in the dorms. I would see glimpses of him on occasion.

That would have been a cool job, and a cool time to have that job. Jeff Moe was definitely a fan favorite

Bill Frieder had a slightly different opinion of him. Then again, Frieder could be an insufferable curmudgeon.

Moe was a Lambda Chi Alpha pledge when a couple Lambda Chi's lived directly below me in the dorms. I would see glimpses of him on occasion.
It was a fun job, in St Louis, Robert Locke from Kentucky was there and a couple of Missouri recruits, forget their names, and others. When Moe and Lorenzen were in the AD office I told them I was from Iowa and they both had big smiles on their faces. Nice guys. Was glad to see them going to Iowa. Lute Olsen coach then? I forget. Lots of coaches there also.

Players I don't like
Matt Haarms and Carsten Edwards-Purdue
Brad Davison and Ethan Happ- Wisconsin
Iggy Brazdeikis-Michigan

Players I do like
All of the Hawkeyes
Bruno Fernando and Jalen Smith-Maryland
Georgi Bezshavili ( probably incorrect spelling)- Illinois
Nick Ward- Michigan St.
Isaiah Robey- Nebraska

Coaches I dislike
Tom Rizzo-Michigan St.
Greg Gard- Wisconsin
Brad Underwood- Illinois
Pat Chambers-Penn St.
Richard Pitino-Minnesota

Coaches I like
Fran McCaffrey
John Bielien- Michigan
Chris Collins- Northwestern
Tim Miles- Nebraska
Matt Painter-Purdue

My list was way too long so I had to trim it down to more of a mount rushmore of hate:

Players I can't stand:
Current: Brad Davidson
Past: Aaron Craft

Coaches I can't stand:
Current: Dick Pit
Past: John Groce, Tom Crean

Who was the Shaggy-Doo looking dolt from Northwestern? Shurna? Always seemed to hit the dagger shot against us.

Remember Josh Gasser? 1st class punk.

josh-gasser-of-the-wisconsin-badgers-battles-with-andrew-harrison-of-picture-id482983527

It was a fun job, in St Louis, Robert Locke from Kentucky was there and a couple of Missouri recruits, forget their names, and others. When Moe and Lorenzen were in the AD office I told them I was from Iowa and they both had big smiles on their faces. Nice guys. Was glad to see them going to Iowa. Lute Olsen coach then? I forget. Lots of coaches there also.
Robert Lock. I had completely forgotten about him. Didn't he have blond hair like Jack Sikma? I know he wore either 43 or 44. 43 would have been Sikma's number.

Moe and Lorenzen would have been part of George Raveling's first full recruiting class. He inherited Dave Snedecker and Johnny Fort, neither of whom stayed long. When Spider Ursery backed out of his commitment George used that scholly to grab Kent Hill. Gerry Wright transferred, then along with Hill was eligible along with Raveling's first full class that included Moe and Lorenzen.

Snedecker, along with Indiana transfer Delray Brooks would join Billy Donovan and Providence's band of misfit toys who caught fire at the right time, couldn't miss their threes, and rode the wave all the way to the final four in 1987. The coach? How's your stomach? It was a young Rick Pitino!

Last edited:
Back in the day I really disliked Michigan's Fab 5, especially Jimmy King-punk! I really never liked Bobby Knight, major ass hole of a person. He taught his players for an in bounds pass, if no one is open, throw the basketball off the defenders face. IU did that to Hawk Ed Horton, Ed punched the IU player in the face.

Back in the day I really disliked Michigan's Fab 5, especially Jimmy King-punk! I really never liked Bobby Knight, major ass hole of a person. He taught his players for an in bounds pass, if no one is open, throw the basketball off the defenders face. IU did that to Hawk Ed Horton, Ed punched the IU player in the face.
Knight can't even be bothered to attend reunions of his own former National Championship teams. And he has let chasms form between the former players of those teams. The 1987 team features Alford and Daryl Thomas (RIP) as the main pro-Bobby bastions. Another group, led by Ricky Calloway, is anti Knight.

The 1992 final four team features nastiness between Pat, the coaches son, and Todd Leary and Pat Graham, men who once were so close they were groomsmen in each other's weddings. No more.

Knight, who as mentioned above can't be bothered to return for reunions of his best teams, has done nothing to attempt to mend the riffs. And probably is no longer in any mental shape to do so.

Our first home game after the Chris street tragedy was against Michigan and of course the Fab five. As we lost Street, we gained Russ Millard, eligible for his first game after some academic issues. It took Millard less than five minutes to clock James Voskuil with an inadvertent elbow and break Voskuil's nose.

Millard made his presence felt. We beat the Fab five that day by being the more physical team.

Latest posts