Is the College Football Season Too Long?

College football, along with the NFL are fine.

They are short enough that every game means something. Any longer and players would want clauses in their contracts to only play 'x' amount of games. The best players need to be on the field every game imo from an entertainment perspective.

Yeah, that one and done is stupid as it can just come down to an error, one team being able to put their best pitcher out their with 4 days rest, etc

I wouldn't necessarily say it's "stupid". But, you would think that after 162 games, there'd be a bit of "separation" between teams. And still we have years where it comes down to a playoff to break a tie.

Anti American? Pretty sure she just hates Trump and then she peacefully protested to support Kaepernick’s speaking out against police brutality and racial inequality in America. That's exactly what America is about... The rest of your post I agree with though, they are fun to watch

Except, Kaepernick wasn't speaking out on police brutality and racial inequality. He was pissed because he was losing his starting job. End of story.

I tuned in to watch the World Cup, not hear about one of the players personal feelings about how she dislikes the President. Politics and sports don't mix.

Au contraire, they absolutely DO mix. Wednesday nights, BlogTalkRadio's Global Patriot Network. 6p Eastern time. The show is "Hank Jones PoliSports".

I wouldn't necessarily say it's "stupid". But, you would think that after 162 games, there'd be a bit of "separation" between teams. And still we have years where it comes down to a playoff to break a tie.

I went to a Twins-White Sox game 163 to break a tie to decide who went to the playoffs before this wildcard nonsense started. It was standing room only and I had to stand, but it was only like $30 and it was one of the most enjoyable baseball games I've ever been to because it actually meant something. That's the problem with baseball, so many of the games are just totally meaningless, but in a lose and go home scenario, every pitch is intense.

College football, along with the NFL are fine.

They are short enough that every game means something. Any longer and players would want clauses in their contracts to only play 'x' amount of games. The best players need to be on the field every game imo from an entertainment perspective.

NFL has an issue with this with week 17 players resting for the playoffs. NBA has a huge issue with stars taking nights off. I'm sorry, but if I shell out cash to drive my son to Charlotte or Atlanta to watch a terrible home team and LeBron or KD or whoever the star is from the other team decides to take the night off, I ain't gonna be happy. My understanding is that this is becoming more and more common - one of these super teams goes to play a dog crap team on the road and the stars decide to "take the night off."

It's a fallacy that more games should create more separation. More games if anything will smooth the curve and bring team's records closer together.

It's a fallacy that more games should create more separation. More games if anything will smooth the curve and bring team's records closer together.

Yep, the average teams that had hot or cold streaks all revert to the mean. There are usually a few outliers to the positive side, several to the bottom because they refuse to spend on payroll, and a whole cluster of average teams.

NFL has an issue with this with week 17 players resting for the playoffs. NBA has a huge issue with stars taking nights off. I'm sorry, but if I shell out cash to drive my son to Charlotte or Atlanta to watch a terrible home team and LeBron or KD or whoever the star is from the other team decides to take the night off, I ain't gonna be happy. My understanding is that this is becoming more and more common - one of these super teams goes to play a dog crap team on the road and the stars decide to "take the night off."
This is the second worst thing in all of sports, short of only flopping in soccer.

But soccer is kinda like one of those balsa wood paddles with a rubber ball bungeed to it. A cheap way for barefoot third world countries to pass the time that comes across as unbearable monotony to the actual civilized world. So I guess it doesn't count.

Soccer nerds come at me.

Last edited:
This is the second worst thing in all of sports, short of only flopping in soccer.

But soccer is kinda like one of those balsa wood paddles with a rubber ball bungeed to it. A cheap way for barefoot third world countries to pass the time that comes across as unbearable monotony to the rest of the civilized world. So I guess it doesn't count.

Soccer nerds come at me.

If I had to rank the worst things in sports, they are:

1) Political hot take shows and segments on ESPN
2) NBA guys resting
3) Stat nerds
4) Guys who have strong opinions on the DH
5) Soccer as a whole

If I had to rank the worst things in sports, they are:

1) Political hot take shows and segments on ESPN
2) NBA guys resting
3) Stat nerds
4) Guys who have strong opinions on the DH
5) Soccer as a whole
Stats are bueno. How else are you going to shut down the dooshers who say Bohannon's the best shooter in the history of the world?

Eff the DH. I'd rather see CC Sabathia strike out than Cecil fielder hit it off the fence in left field and get thrown out at first.

And since we're mixing stats and the DH, I'm going to say the strikeout rate between fat DH's and pitchers is probably pretty close.

Last edited:

But soccer is kinda like one of those balsa wood paddles with a rubber ball bungeed to it. A cheap way for barefoot third world countries to pass the time that comes across as unbearable monotony to the rest of the civilized world. So I guess it doesn't count.

Soccer nerds come at me.

You will get ZERO argument from me. Gold, OTOH, will be coming both barrels :)

I tuned in to watch the World Cup, not hear about one of the players personal feelings about how she dislikes the President. Politics and sports don't mix.
At what point during the games did they bring that up? Not once. I watched every minute of every game, and it was never mentioned. I think you're letting the news surrounding it bleed into the game - kinda like this fall when the Patriots take the field, will the commentators be talking about the controversy about Robert Kraft? Doubtful. I'm genuinely interested in what makes her such a "radical". Because she supports equal rights and is against discrimination? All "men" are created equal is such a radical idea.

Of course to each his own, but I love the game of golf and have been playing it for 60 years. One thing I like about golf and especially watching professional golf is everything all the pressure is on the individual. The pro golfers pay to get into tournaments, travel etc, and no other competitor can mess with their ball. The players are trying to maintain their careers and livelihood. They police themselves and it has been 30 years since I heard about any kind of cheating in men's or women's pro golf. It hardly ever happens.

They dont have guaranteed money but a lot of them open charities and help raise a lot of money. The PGA Tour just passed the mark last year of raising over $2 Billion for charities. I can learn about golf by watching it. I am not a huge Bubba Watson fan but a few weeks ago he gave over $200,000 to the Paul Newman Hole in the Wall organization to help underprivileged kids.

I use to watch some nascar but not now so our tastes change. But I love to watch a guy hit a golf ball a 1000 feet right where they want or sometimes in the bushes and then later deftly with so much touch make a great chip from 40 feet.
Well said, there is a lot riding on it. I've played a lot of golf as well, but just because I enjoy doing something it doesn't mean I'd want to watch others do it. It sounds like you're really into the stakes that they each face, and the precision they have along with their character. I can dig that. I guess I've never really taken any time to get to know any of the players but I will say that anytime you have an interest in seeing certain individuals do well it definitely makes something more enjoyable to watch. Do you like World Series of Poker at all?

Latest posts