Is the College Football Season Too Long?

How about going with the NFL proposal (18 game season, but any single player can only play 16):

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ule-with-a-16-game-limit-could-actually-work/

As the linked article points out, only about 30% of players actually play in every game in a given season anyway, so for most, the "forced" games off are something they would already be utilizing.

For college, how about a 12 game season, but any given player can only play 10? The linked article states that QBs and kickers should be exempt from this rule in the NFL, but I say no exemptions in college. Wouldn't you love to watch Mansell take the entire Rutgers game? You have 85 scholarship players, you should be able to field a decent team even if some of your players are unavailable.

The strategery would be crazy. Should we sit Stanley vs. Rutgers or vs. Mid Tenn St.? And then if we sit him during Rutgers, what a slap in the face.

To add another level to it, let's even give teams/players the options to play all 12, but in so doing they sacrifice a year of eligibility. Wirfs and Epenesa, you guys better be ready to go each week.

InfamousDirtyAngwantibo-poster.jpg

Having a rule that not all players can play every game would be really interesting. But wrong!

MLB season large number of games has been likened as a way to even out all the weird hops, even out the flair/bloop hits vs the stinging line drives right at a player, and various other statistical items, even umpire calls. And as others have said games were the main way of making money.

As far as the World Series almost being played in November well that is because of TV/extra rounds to the playoffs, the change from 156 to 162 games, elimination of almost all double headers which can shorten the season while leaving the number of games the same.

MLB is fine right now but they could easily decide they are saturating their product and reduce the games without bothering many fans.

I get it, you're a baseball lover. I dig it too...though I'm not a hardcore. 162 games is a lot of bad hops. I'm a big "scarcity builds value" guy. Thanks to my Econ prof @ IOWA.

NBA-season seems like a year and a half. Shorten the regular season and finish the championship series by late April
NHL-see NBA
NASCAR-11 months of left turns? No thanks
MLB-finish the World Series in October
NFL-season feels about right as it is without adding games, as long as every player doesn't have to play every week

I would drop the Clowns and get a more national opponent....and try to expand the college football playoff teams. Drop all the toilet bowl games presented by beef O brady, etc.

Last edited:
Having a rule that not all players can play every game would be really interesting. But wrong!

Well, they kind of already do that with the new redshirt rule, where players can play a max of 4 games a year and still get a redshirt.

Maybe there should just be a rule that players can play a max of 50 games total and a max of 5 years in a career.

Well, they kind of already do that with the new redshirt rule, where players can play a max of 4 games a year and still get a redshirt.

Maybe there should just be a rule that players can play a max of 50 games total and a max of 5 years in a career.

...excluding postseason.

And yet, we have teams having a one-game playoff in lots of years.
That's what killed the Kansas City Royals back in the seventies, when they were usually the best (regular season) team in baseball. They were designed to ride out the highs and lows of a 162 game regular season.

The Yankees, and earlier in the decade the Oakland Athletics, were designed to win in October. They could run that #1 starter at you twice in a five game playoff series. They had that fire breathing closer in the bullpen. And not coincidentally both of those teams had Reggie Jackson. The royals would beat the Yankees seven or eight out of twelve in the regular season. The Yankees would win the October games that mattered the most. They were better built for the randomness of short sample sizes.

Only sports I watch are NASCAR, college football and NCAA hoops in March/April. I'll watch the NFL champ games, Super Bowl and on Thanksgiving. That's all I can handle.

I don't know how people can watch a full season of basketball, hockey or baseball. The sheer volume of content, all of which is now available on TV, is totally insane.
That's exactly what I watch, except for the Nascar part. I'll watch some of the NBA finals here and there, and I dont miss an Iowa basketball game though, but I don't really watch any teams other than Iowa. I don't know how people can stand watching baseball or golf, I think I'd rather mow the lawn

I did get hooked on the U.S. Women's soccer team at the World Cup. Only thing that pissed on it was that radical political nut job Rapinoe and her anti American attitude. I wish Ricky Stanzi would punch her n the mouth!
Anti American? Pretty sure she just hates Trump and then she peacefully protested to support Kaepernick’s speaking out against police brutality and racial inequality in America. That's exactly what America is about... The rest of your post I agree with though, they are fun to watch

I get it, you're a baseball lover. I dig it too...though I'm not a hardcore. 162 games is a lot of bad hops. I'm a big "scarcity builds value" guy. Thanks to my Econ prof @ IOWA.

I like MLB and college ball but I dont watch it or go to games. I love the NHL playoffs but dont watch regular season and I casually watch the MLB playoffs unless one of my few teams I root for is in it. Or if I can watch the yankees lose. :). Remember MLB teams used to travel by train, all teams were basically east of Chicago and St Louis, they played a few less games, and they played a bunch of double headers. MLB could shorten up the season by having a few more double headers and get out of town early games.

And personally I hate the one game playoff which like you say the total antithesis of the MLB season.

MLB is making huge money because they are able to give out big contracts. Sports was the first reality TV for the TV entertainment industry as you can just place your cameras in the ballpark and have 2-3 hours of air time produced by someone else yet the networks get the Advert. dough.

I did get hooked on the U.S. Women's soccer team at the World Cup. Only thing that pissed on it was that radical political nut job Rapinoe and her anti American attitude. I wish Ricky Stanzi would punch her n the mouth!

Wow the anger in that post and only because she used her first amendment rights. With the actual hatred coming out of the Prez's mouth and his staffers what Rapinoe and others have said is calm and measured. Oh and by the way watching and listening to Rapinoe talk for 15 minutes shows that her education and smarts are far more than the Prez.

Anti American? Pretty sure she just hates Trump and then she peacefully protested to support Kaepernick’s speaking out against police brutality and racial inequality in America. That's exactly what America is about... The rest of your post I agree with though, they are fun to watch
I tuned in to watch the World Cup, not hear about one of the players personal feelings about how she dislikes the President. Politics and sports don't mix.

I tuned in to watch the World Cup, not hear about one of the players personal feelings about how she dislikes the President. Politics and sports don't mix.

Her tweet was before the World Cup even started and the World Cup is not a 'season' which is the subject of this thread. The World Cup is a tournament. Rapinoe was asked a question in an interview and she said she wouldnt go to the White House. She apologized for dropping the F-bomb and this was before the World Cup telecasters started making the big deal and bringing it up all the time.

The television people kept bringing it up.

I don't know how people can stand watching baseball or golf, I think I'd rather mow the lawn

Of course to each his own, but I love the game of golf and have been playing it for 60 years. One thing I like about golf and especially watching professional golf is everything all the pressure is on the individual. The pro golfers pay to get into tournaments, travel etc, and no other competitor can mess with their ball. The players are trying to maintain their careers and livelihood. They police themselves and it has been 30 years since I heard about any kind of cheating in men's or women's pro golf. It hardly ever happens.

They dont have guaranteed money but a lot of them open charities and help raise a lot of money. The PGA Tour just passed the mark last year of raising over $2 Billion for charities. I can learn about golf by watching it. I am not a huge Bubba Watson fan but a few weeks ago he gave over $200,000 to the Paul Newman Hole in the Wall organization to help underprivileged kids.

I use to watch some nascar but not now so our tastes change. But I love to watch a guy hit a golf ball a 1000 feet right where they want or sometimes in the bushes and then later deftly with so much touch make a great chip from 40 feet.

Latest posts