Is Luka Getting Too Cocky?

Jordan, like Bird before him, understood two things that, on the face of it, would not seem to go together. He knew he was the face not only of the NBA, but bluntly of all professional sports. And so he always seemed willing to sit down after games with the national play-by-play guys and give them whatever they needed to be the ambassador of the sport.

But as for trash-talking, again like Bird before him, what he showed was a cocksuredness that was indeed aimed at his opponent. To tell an opponent exactly what you are going to do - and then do it - is not my idea of trash-talking. To be clear, some true trash-talkers rarely talk about stuff on the court - that kind of garbage I have no patience for.

But even though I wasn't a great fan of either, I respect them both for being able to do all they did. I will never forget the night the Bird-led Celtics and the Magic-led Lakers were going to square off in a regular season game (for about the 60th time). But that night, Magic was out - he couldn't play - and I don't even remember why, because I know that, aside from his ACL in his second pro season, that didn't happen often. But Bird went up to him before the game, and said, at least initially in a serious tone, "Guy, I'm so sorry you can't play tonight - it would've been a great match-up for the fans. But I'm gonna make it up to you. I'm gonna go out tonight and score 40 points in your honor." And, of course, he did.

I absolutely loved Bird and the trash talking he did and the Celtics/Lakers rivalry of the 80s. And not to take anything away from MJ, but I think the rivalry between the storied franchises did as much for the game as what MJ did for the league.

I absolutely loved Bird and the trash talking he did and the Celtics/Lakers rivalry of the 80s. And not to take anything away from MJ, but I think the rivalry between the storied franchises did as much for the game as what MJ did for the league.

I hated MJ through his first 3 championships, and by the end of his last 3 I was thinking, "I am really fortunate to have had an opportunity to watch this guy."

I hated MJ through his first 3 championships, and by the end of his last 3 I was thinking, "I am really fortunate to have had an opportunity to watch this guy."

By the time he "became a once in a generation player" before arguably the GOAT I started telling myself that I can't wait to spend the rest of my life explaining how I absolutely despised the GOAT. At least I'm able to say that he was absolutely amazing and whether I liked him or not I found myself in awe almost every time I watched him play.

Apparently, some people still enjoy listening to annoying little pricks.

The obligatory gif

OptimisticPlumpFishingcat-size_restricted.gif

I love that Cook still reps the Hawks proudly. He caught a lot of flack while here for the things he wasn't, but he was always a good dude who carried himself with class, and threw down some monster dunks along the way.
I think Tyler would be awesome on this team, especially if he was focused on rebounding and defense and we still looked to Garza first.

Also, Luka killed it on Rome today!!