Iowa's O is MIA - SSDD

winning can be 7-5, as you know. winning can also be 9-3. it has been 19 seasons of consistently average or worse offense that has helped to prevent 9-3 vs 7-5. So, one could view our winning % as a self-inflicted, systemic wound. But you're right, we're a winning program.

Right.. but what are you expecting Iowa to be? I guess that's my rebuttal. Because what it's been is pretty damn good and consistent. They just had an undefeated regular season less then 2 years ago. Iowa has more top 10 finished then Miami, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Penn State and Tennessee during Ferent's 19 years and only 3 losing seasons. I just wish this board would stop stewing in this "we're crap" narrative. Iowa has an envious program in the grand scheme of things.

I at the SAME point - want it to be better. FYI

The stats are misleading. Iowa plays bend don't break on defense and tries to play ball control on offense. Since Iowa eats up the clock on both sides, a typical Iowa game has fewer possessions than average. A better stat would be points per possession. YPA is 8.1 for Nate Stanley. If that stat continues it would be the best since Ricki Stanzi. I think that's a sign our passing game is better.

I essentially agree with what you say about being a ball control team. Although, right now Iowa is a want-to-be ball control offense. It's more "sputter... sputter... sputter... surprise touchdown!" Than again, I remember quite a few KOK offenses that were like that.

One nice thing so far about Stanley is, in spite of his hesitancy early in games, he gets a lot more focused once he gets in striking distance of the goal line.

I essentially agree with what you say about being a ball control team. Although, right now Iowa is a want-to-be ball control offense. It's more "sputter... sputter... sputter... surprise touchdown!" Than again, I remember quite a few KOK offenses that were like that.

One nice thing so far about Stanley is, in spite of his hesitancy early in games, he gets a lot more focused once he gets in striking distance of the goal line.

Iowa plays field position a lot. They tend not to get to cute when they are constantly backed in corner. Look, it worked last week. When Iowa needed the offense to strike, they did. What they did wasn't pretty, but the offense won them the game and while the D played admirable, they weren't able to do what the offense did... and that was strike when they needed it most.

Iowa plays field position a lot. They tend not to get to cute when they are constantly backed in corner. Look, it worked last week. When Iowa needed the offense to strike, they did. What they did wasn't pretty, but the offense won them the game and while the D played admirable, they weren't able to do what the offense did... and that was strike when they needed it most.

I think the coaches would be the first to tell you that "normally" you need to generate a little more offense to stay in a game like that. There was a good deal of luck in staying in that one. Good depth on the defensive line helped keep them in that game too.

I think the coaches will be the first to tell you that "normally" you need to generate a little more offense to stay in a game like that. There was a good deal of luck in staying in that one. Good depth on the defensive line helped keep them in that game too.

Don't completely disagree...but we have 19 years of data to draw on with Iowa winning games like last Saturday. It's by design

KOK's #s are coming from NCAA's archived stats. Only place I could find them, if you know of a better place let me know.
Looks like Kenny takes home the trophy so far, but I do expect Brian's numbers to improve as the season progresses.

Under BF so far:

Total Offense: 93rd
Scoring Offense: 73rd
Passing Offense: 80th
Rushing Offense: 78th

5 years under Greg Davis:

Total Offense: 92.2nd
Scoring Offense: 82.4nd
Passing Offense: 92nd
Rushing Offense: 66.8th

13 years under KOK:

Total Offense: 67.92th
Scoring Offense: 59.46th
Passing Offense: 59.84th
Rushing Offense: 66.23th

I dont think you can put BF here yet. 13 years compared to 5 years compared to 4 games with a new sophomore QB is not a fair comparison.

Right.. but what are you expecting Iowa to be? I guess that's my rebuttal. Because what it's been is pretty damn good and consistent. They just had an undefeated regular season less then 2 years ago. Iowa has more top 10 finished then Miami, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Penn State and Tennessee during Ferent's 19 years and only 3 losing seasons. I just wish this board would stop stewing in this "we're crap" narrative. Iowa has an envious program in the grand scheme of things.

I at the SAME point - want it to be better. FYI

ICG, iowa is almost exactly 7-5 on average over the last 18 seasons. I didn't say anything about ND or PSU or any other program, nor, did I say anything against the 12-0 season. But, we wound up 12-2 because we were finally exposed for not having enough offense. And that, really, is my point. We seem to always "not have enough offense". We went 12-0, but couldn't score in the B1G-Chp game. We couldn't even begin to stay with Stanford offensively. I simply believe that we could have have many, many more wins over the past 18 years if we gave as much priority to scoring points on offense as we have to running clock. We're damn good at running clock...not so much at scoring. Points win games. Defense wins championships.

Last edited:
I dont think you can put BF here yet. 13 years compared to 5 years compared to 4 games with a new sophomore QB is not a fair comparison.
I suppose that's true. We'll just have to let it play out. I would be very surprised if Brian's #s don't improve quite a bit more this season. As long as he doesn't resort to the Pedo St 1st half play calling, we should be on the right path, hopefully.

ICG, iowa is almost exactly 7-5 on average over the last 18 seasons. I didn't say anything about ND or PSU or any other program, nor, did I say anything against the 12-0 season. But, we wound up 12-2 because we were finally exposed for not having enough offense. And that, really, is my point. We seem to always "not have enough offense". We went 12-0, but couldn't score in the B1G-Chp game. We couldn't even begin to stay with Stanford offensively. I simply believe that we could have have many, many more wins over the past 18 years if we game as much priority to scoring points on offense as we have to running clock. We're damn good at running clock...not so much at scoring. Points win games. Defense wins championships.

I don't disagree - personally, I've seen a lot of growth in the Offense this season. It just feels better to me. Maybe it will bare out to be poor like TK is trying to illustrate. I want whatever it is needed to be to win Championships. I felt like they did enough to win last week, they just left too much time for a potent offense and a gassed D.

I don't disagree - personally, I've seen a lot of growth in the Offense this season. It just feels better to me. Maybe it will bare out to be poor like TK is trying to illustrate. I want whatever it is needed to be to win Championships. I felt like they did enough to win last week, they just left too much time for a potent offense and a gassed D.

I don't disagree with you, either. But, PSU was disappointing because we spent so much time, seemingly, throwing away possessions when we would run into 8+ man fronts. I'd rather run clock by making the other team have to score than us having to score. It can work both ways. run to set up the pass and pass to set up the run. we should do both, but we don't.

I don't disagree with you, either. But, PSU was disappointing because we spent so much time, seemingly, throwing away possessions when we would run into 8+ man fronts. I'd rather run clock by making the other team have to score than us having to score. It can work both ways. run to set up the pass and pass to set up the run. we should do both, but we don't.

I feel like that was a phone booth game tho. That was their strategy and it came seconds and 1 play away from working. It didn't... and was a huge disappointment. They certainly played it differently against ISU right?

Same Stuff Different Day -

Iowa is ranked

93rd in Total Offense
73rd in Scoring Offense
80th in Passing Offense
77th in Rushing Offense

0mKXcg1.gif
Top 100 BABY!!!

Nice little Diddy, Akrum is 5th Nationally in all purpose Yards Per Game.

RANK NAME TEAM CL POSITION G RUSH YDS REC YDS PUNT RET YDS KO RET YDS INT RET YDS MISCYDS PLAYS YDS YPG
1 Saquon Barkley Penn St. Jr. RB 4 518 335 0 160 0 0 96 1013 253.25
2 Rashaad Penny San Diego St. Sr. RB 4 716 87 0 117 0 0 105 920 230.00
3 Bryce Love Stanford Jr. RB 4 787 5 0 0 0 0 75 792 198.00
4 Mark Walton Miami (FL) Jr. RB 2 352 12 0 0 0 0 30 364 182.00
5 Royce Freeman Oregon Sr. RB 4 541 128 0 0 0 0 106 669 167.25
6 Akrum Wadley Iowa Sr. RB 4 338 227 0 100 0 0 93 665 166.25
7 Diontae Johnson Toledo So. WR 4 0 363 0 296 0 0 32 659 164.75
8 Ty Johnson Maryland Jr. RB 3 281 18 0 195 0 0 36 494 164.67
9 Aaron Duckworth Idaho Sr. RB 4 377 145 0 133 0 0 72 655 163.75

And Passing TDs.....................

RANK NAME TEAM CL POSITION G PASS TD
1 Josh Rosen UCLA Jr. QB 4 16
2 Luke Falk Washington St. Sr. QB 4 14
3 Will Grier West Virginia Jr. QB 4 13
- Baker Mayfield Oklahoma Sr. QB 4 13
- Mason Rudolph Oklahoma St. Sr. QB 4 13
6 Tyler Rogers New Mexico St. Sr. QB 4 12
- Nathan Stanley Iowa So. QB 4 12
8 Josh Jackson Virginia Tech Fr. QB 4 11
- Shea Patterson Ole Miss So. QB 3 11
- Nic Shimonek Texas Tech Sr. QB 3 11
- Logan Woodside Toledo Sr. QB 4 11
12 J.T. Barrett Ohio St. Sr. QB 4 10

People, people, people...
Don't let yourself get sucked into the muck & mire of statistics. This isn't baseball.
What matters most are the # of Wins and losses, period.
GO HAWKS!

I immediately thought of last weeks safety... that was too cute in our own territory fo show

If BF takes about 2 more deeper shots in the first half, calls about 4-5 more pass plays on 1st and 2nd down in the first half, we have about 3 less drops in the first 3 possessions, and replace that poor end zone call with a fb dive(to be clear, it wasn't that it was a bad play, it's that BF should have seen PSU was keeping a backside LB waiting for naked boot or reverse almost the entire first half...and that made it a bad call)....those few things...and maybe I'm wrong....changes a lot.

I feel the offense scheme/calls is better and and just a few calls/execution from being noticeably better.

Again, I could be wrong, but I think we're close on offense.

Just need a little quicker start. It'd go a long way.

Latest posts