Iowa's O is MIA - SSDD

The stats are misleading. Iowa plays bend don't break on defense and tries to play ball control on offense. Since Iowa eats up the clock on both sides, a typical Iowa game has fewer possessions than average. A better stat would be points per possession. YPA is 8.1 for Nate Stanley. If that stat continues it would be the best since Ricki Stanzi. I think that's a sign our passing game is better.

The stats are misleading. Iowa plays bend don't break on defense and tries to play ball control on offense. Since Iowa eats up the clock on both sides, a typical Iowa game has fewer possessions than average. A better stat would be points per possession. YPA is 8.1 for Nate Stanley. If that stat continues it would be the best since Ricki Stanzi. I think that's a sign our passing game is better.

Excellent point!

Wyoming points allowed: 24 Iowa, 0 Gardner-Webb, 49 Oregon, 28 Hawaii
N Tex points allowed: 14 Lamar, 54 SMU, 31 Iowa, 43 UAB

So against both of those defensive giants, the Hawks' output is the lowest non-FCS they've allowed.

Maybe it's not fair to expect the team to produce more points than UAB, though...
(UAB's output against UNT was their best this year - and they've played 2 FCS teams)

Iowa has fewer possessions than average? I'll believe it if you prove it with data. I honestly doubt it.

Iowa struggled to get 24 points against freaking Wyoming.

iowa's O was getting pinned for 1/2 the game against North Texas - North Texas !

Iowa could not figure out how to exploit a blitzing team in PSU. Getting pinned again.

3 of 4 games they've struggled.

Look - there's 1 head coach during that entire time. This is how Iowa wins football games. I didn't expect a giant leap in #'s but I expected it to flow better, too look easier to be a threat. I think it has been. If you can't see with your own 2 eyes the advancement of Iowa's offense to move the ball this year, then I dunno.... it makes me wonder if people watch the games. Last week, during the first half, was really the only time I thought our O looked stagnate.... of course, Wadley fumbled the ball on our best drive too.

This. I agree completely.

And someone in the first few games as OC is not a finished product, either. Just as a new DB like insert name here is not as good in week one of his freshman year as in week 10 of their senior year, BF is not now what he will be a year from now. And he is working with a young and new QB to boot.

I have no issues with the OC to date. And when you consider that some calls have been good, but the pass or catch was not executed properly (dropped or overthrown), that gives a different look, too, when that is taken into consideration. Play calling is completely different, better and fresh compared to the recent past.

Nope it's the same ole same ole Melrose ... we've had 19 years of this crap... and by this crap - i mean, routinely being a winning college football team in a sport that is extremely difficult to win consistently in.

winning can be 7-5, as you know. winning can also be 9-3. it has been 19 seasons of consistently average or worse offense that has helped to prevent 9-3 vs 7-5. So, one could view our winning % as a self-inflicted, systemic wound. But you're right, we're a winning program.

Look - there's 1 head coach during that entire time. This is how Iowa wins football games. I didn't expect a giant leap in #'s but I expected it to flow better, too look easier to be a threat. I think it has been. If you can't see with your own 2 eyes the advancement of Iowa's offense to move the ball this year, then I dunno.... it makes me wonder if people watch the games. Last week, during the first half, was really the only time I thought our O looked stagnate.... of course, Wadley fumbled the ball on our best drive too.
I simply questioned you saying it improved "drastically." I also said it has improved, but not drastically, which I have proven. Are you dean's cousin? Jeepers

They will come Brian, they will definitely bring the Blitz Brian.

Stwg73X.gif

Correct. Show me "per possession" numbers and I'll be interested. It goes the other way too tho. Our defense is nowhere near as good as the numbers show.

Gotta get the passing game going early. The running game will open up but we've just had a mix of over throws and drops.

Iowa has fewer possessions than average? I'll believe it if you prove it with data. I honestly doubt it.

Iowa struggled to get 24 points against freaking Wyoming.

iowa's O was getting pinned for 1/2 the game against North Texas - North Texas !

Iowa could not figure out how to exploit a blitzing team in PSU. Getting pinned again.

3 of 4 games they've struggled.

You really don't think they do?

I don't know if you can use the word improved. I think it's fair to say that Iowa's offense has made some changes compared to GDGD offense.

We are running the KOK offense, though less deep crossing patterns and less TE up the seam (though they do exist, just not as much as we'd all like).

We have yet to really see an offense that adapts quickly. The offense will make adjustments, but usually in the 4th Quarter.
I think our offense has improved in it's play calling. We have seen more downfield passes - although many of the throws have been slightly off or dropped by receivers. Hopeful that a little more experience will improve the execution of a first year starting QB and we will be inclined to throw even more often.

More concerned about our defense.
Total Offense allowed last three games:

ISU 467 (Texas held ISU to 256)
NT 305
PSU 579

Defense is exposed to too many snaps in this bend don't break strategy. Could take a toll later in the season.

The problem is Iowa runs the same running game as they have for 20 years. If you have 20 years of game film to study, then you can probably stop it.
The pass offense isnt there yet because of a raw QB. But the calls themselves are miles ahead of the past.

Change the run game. At least do something different out of the same sets that every D coordinator in the world can stop. That would make this offense a look a lot better on paper.

Come on, in the Penn State game those looked like two different offenses from one half to the next. What was the difference? Iowa spread out....why didn't they do it earlier? Bad field position? Stubborness (we are going to establish the run no matter how many times we run into a brick wall...punt)? I really believe that Iowa could have won that game by two touchdowns, or more had they opened it up early.

Come on, in the Penn State game those looked like two different offenses from one half to the next. What was the difference? Iowa spread out....why didn't they do it earlier? Bad field position? Stubborness (we are going to establish the run no matter how many times we run into a brick wall...punt)? I really believe that Iowa could have won that game by two touchdowns, or more had they opened it up early.

You can't win a game by two 2 TDs with the number of dropped passes we had in the first half...

This. I agree completely.

And someone in the first few games as OC is not a finished product, either. Just as a new DB like insert name here is not as good in week one of his freshman year as in week 10 of their senior year, BF is not now what he will be a year from now. And he is working with a young and new QB to boot.

I have no issues with the OC to date. And when you consider that some calls have been good, but the pass or catch was not executed properly (dropped or overthrown), that gives a different look, too, when that is taken into consideration. Play calling is completely different, better and fresh compared to the recent past.

Exactly. BF is not the guy overthrowing umpteen wide open receivers. The fact that we throw beyond 10 yds is improvement that surely anyone can see. Stanley, BF AND our receivers will all get better.

KOK's #s are coming from NCAA's archived stats. Only place I could find them, if you know of a better place let me know.
Looks like Kenny takes home the trophy so far, but I do expect Brian's numbers to improve as the season progresses.

Under BF so far:

Total Offense: 93rd
Scoring Offense: 73rd
Passing Offense: 80th
Rushing Offense: 78th

5 years under Greg Davis:

Total Offense: 92.2nd
Scoring Offense: 82.4nd
Passing Offense: 92nd
Rushing Offense: 66.8th

13 years under KOK:

Total Offense: 67.92th