NCHawker

Same Stuff Different Day -

Iowa is ranked

93rd in Total Offense
73rd in Scoring Offense
80th in Passing Offense
77th in Rushing Offense

0mKXcg1.gif

I wish there were offensive rankings based on first and second down. We have to be near last there. In 10 years or so Brian will have as much experience as most new Power 5 coordinators. Then we will see.
Only at Iowa would this happen.

I think you have to put into perspective who Iowa has played up until this point compared to many other teams.

I.E. Minny has one of the best D's stated on paper at this moment and have not allowed a point in the 2nd half of any game. I think they are in the top 5 nationally. Now are they one of the best D's in America, probably not when it is said and done.

I'm not worried about Iowa's O yet. We all witness the improvements being made in WR play and playcalling.

I think you have to put into perspective who Iowa has played up until this point compared to many other teams.

I.E. Minny has one of the best D's stated on paper at this moment and have not allowed a point in the 2nd half of any game. I think they are in the top 5 nationally. Now are they one of the best D's in America, probably not when it is said and done.

I'm not worried about Iowa's O yet. We all witness the improvements being made in WR play and playcalling.

Wyoming, ISU and North Texas were a part of that schedule. PSU shut down Iowa for much of the game. I have no doubt they well get better but they oft struggle early.

So, your point is that Wyoming, ISU, N Tex, and Penn St is a tougher "gauntlet" of defenses than most have faced???

(edit: Gold beat me to the above point, so extending my post)

No reason to expect improvement, though- KF clearly values his own "comfort zone" more than he values having a good offense.

Last edited:
I don't know if you can use the word improved. I think it's fair to say that Iowa's offense has made some changes compared to GDGD offense.

We are running the KOK offense, though less deep crossing patterns and less TE up the seam (though they do exist, just not as much as we'd all like).

We have yet to really see an offense that adapts quickly. The offense will make adjustments, but usually in the 4th Quarter.

I sometimes wonder if you guys watch football? If you can't see with your own 2 eyes that Iowa's offense has improved drastically this season, you can't be reasoned with. Also, those #'s have resulted in Iowa being 3-1 with a last second loss to the #4 team in the country. Who cares where they rank if they win?
The offense has improved from last year, but no way in hell has it improved drastically. Did you actually mean slightly?

Wyoming, ISU and North Texas were a part of that schedule. PSU shut down Iowa for much of the game. I have no doubt they well get better but they oft struggle early.

Correct. Plus a first year starting QB, who leads the league or up there in TD passes.

Wyoming is not a slouch for a first game. ISU is a rivalry so that game gets amped up and competitive. North Texas is the head scratcher, I guess.

The offense has improved from last year, but no way in hell has it improved drastically. Did you actually mean slightly?

I feel it's been drastic. Stanley's #'s are much better then CJ's against a tougher schedule. I'd wager we've thrown at least 4 or 5 more TD's at this point then last year...again, against a tougher schedule. I also feel like Wadley's rushing yards and receiving yards are higher through 4 games and he basically sat out 3 Q of 1. I am not looking anything up... it just certainly feels that way just by watching... it's THAT drastic.

Under BF so far:

Total Offense: 93rd
Scoring Offense: 73rd
Passing Offense: 80th
Rushing Offense: 78th

5 years under Greg Davis:

Total Offense: 92.2
Scoring Offense: 82.4
Passing Offense: 92
Rushing Offense: 66.8

So, your point is that Wyoming, ISU, N Tex, and Penn St is a tougher "gauntlet" of defenses than most have faced???

(edit: Gold beat me to the above point, so extending my post)

No reason to expect improvement, though- KF clearly values his own "comfort zone" more than he values having a good offense.

I sometimes wonder if you guys watch football? If you can't see with your own 2 eyes that Iowa's offense has improved drastically this season, you can't be reasoned with. Also, those #'s have resulted in Iowa being 3-1 with a last second loss to the #4 team in the country. Who cares where they rank if they win?

Some people just don't get it.

Correct. Plus a first year starting QB, who leads the league or up there in TD passes.

Wyoming is not a slouch for a first game. ISU is a rivalry so that game gets amped up and competitive. North Texas is the head scratcher, I guess.

I love how everyone thinks that every other POWER 5 team has run the gauntlet up til this point and Iowa has played patsies. Iowa was one of the only power 5 schools to play 2 bowl qualifiers from last season and a power 5 in their Non con... oh, and they played the #4 team in the country. It's not murderous row, but I'd bet it's about as good as any

Under BF so far:

Total Offense: 93rd
Scoring Offense: 73rd
Passing Offense: 80th
Rushing Offense: 78th

5 years under Greg Davis:

Total Offense: 92.2
Scoring Offense: 82.4
Passing Offense: 92
Rushing Offense: 66.8

Look - there's 1 head coach during that entire time. This is how Iowa wins football games. I didn't expect a giant leap in #'s but I expected it to flow better, too look easier to be a threat. I think it has been. If you can't see with your own 2 eyes the advancement of Iowa's offense to move the ball this year, then I dunno.... it makes me wonder if people watch the games. Last week, during the first half, was really the only time I thought our O looked stagnate.... of course, Wadley fumbled the ball on our best drive too.

I love how everyone thinks that every other POWER 5 team has run the gauntlet up til this point and Iowa has played patsies. Iowa was one of the only power 5 schools to play 2 bowl qualifiers from last season and a power 5 in their Non con... oh, and they played the #4 team in the country. It's not murderous row, but I'd bet it's about as good as any

That is what I was trying to point out. They're a tested team at this point. There are very many other teams that you can't say that and you are still trying to get a feel for.

Look - there's 1 head coach during that entire time. This is how Iowa wins football games. I didn't expect a giant leap in #'s but I expected it to flow better, too look easier to be a threat. I think it has been. If you can't see with your own 2 eyes the advancement of Iowa's offense to move the ball this year, then I dunno.... it makes me wonder if people watch the games. Last week, during the first half, was really the only time I thought our O looked stagnate.... of course, Wadley fumbled the ball on our best drive too.

Iowa banks on their D which to cover for their O ranking. I do wish and think that Iowa can at least get down the the 40-50 ranking. That should be attainable and would be nice to compliment the D. People have to realize we are only in BF's first 4 games. Geez people.

Iowa banks on their D which to cover for their O ranking. I do wish and think that Iowa can at least get down the the 40-50 ranking. That should be attainable and would be nice to compliment the D. People have to realize we are only in BF's first 4 games. Geez people.

Nope it's the same ole same ole Melrose ... we've had 19 years of this crap... and by this crap - i mean, routinely being a winning college football team in a sport that is extremely difficult to win consistently in.

Latest posts