Iowa's 2014 Football Schedule

If Iowa even competes in 2014 for the division it will solidify how poor the division is. Could be one of the worse demographics in the country.

Hey come to Iowa you get to play Ball State, Northwestern, and our rival Purdue. Don't go to Michigan State who gets to play Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State every year.

Since your argument is based on the theory that the division is weak, I'll rebuttal with this thought.
You tell them that since we have a weak division we should be able to win it easier and go to the B1G championship game where we will play OSU/PSU/ MSU/Mich.

Or you could tell them that by the time they're here and playing, those teams will be back on the schedule.

Either way, I think you're still selling it well.

You good now?
Alrighty then.

Including 2014 now, it will be 4 out of 5 against the Gophers in Minneapolis. 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014.

On the opposite side of the coin, Iowa will have 3 games in a row vs Wisconsin at Kinnick (2010, 2013, & 2014).

Also 3/4 games against Northwestern will be at Kinnick (2011, 2013, & 2014) with 3/4 games against Purdue being on the road (2011, 2013, & 2014)

Despite Iowa's flops at TCF, I'd say the scheduling quirks of conference expansion favor Iowa.

There are a lot of complainers who frequent this place. I don't know if they are the same few with multiple accounts per person or what.

I am actually all of the negative posters. Iowa has been doing so good that Diesel needed to hire me to mix it up.

Not sure whether I agree with this or not. In principle it makes sense, however I think you're off base about scheduling bigger named porgrams. I don't think people are saying that we want every single OOC opponent to be a top 25 team, but the fact is that people want to see premier programs. Why can't the fans have both the 7 home games without having to see OOC cupcakes. Why is it so far fetched to want to see home and home contracts with top 20 programs. If we're going to play at ISU every other year, why not schedule a top 25 team to come to Kinnick the year we play at ISU and then we can go on the road the year we play ISU at home. Forgive me, but I'd rather see us schedule top ranked opponents then seeing teams like Pitt on the schedule. If we're willing to go to Pitt why not be willing to play a traditional powerhouse. I realize it's about revenue and winning games, but IMO its unexcusable to only see the premier programs outside of the Big 10 in the post season.

Let me try

Nine game bigten schedule. Years with 4 Bigten home games we play ISU at home as well as 5 Bigten games on the road. That leaves two "open" dates with which to schedule two "needed" home games. Only a lower tier opponent will agree to a non home and home. Therefore, there is no room for a better opponent IF: we keep ISU, there are only 12 games, there are 9 conference games and the athletic dept needs 7 home games for financial reasons.

Yeah why arent we playing the Yankees and the Heat this year. Barta & ferentz are scared. Jeez they could at least play the Dolphins to help recruiting. Never gonna get ahead if you schedule in the box.

Did i miss any other great ideas?

I honestly have no idea what your post means.

Let me try

Nine game bigten schedule. Years with 4 Bigten home games we play ISU at home as well as 5 Bigten games on the road. That leaves two "open" dates with which to schedule two "needed" home games. Only a lower tier opponent will agree to a non home and home. Therefore, there is no room for a better opponent IF: we keep ISU, there are only 12 games, there are 9 conference games and the athletic dept needs 7 home games for financial reasons.

Point taken, I forgot that we were moving to a 9 game conference schedule, and in the process giving up an OOC game. Thanks for the reminder.

What does iowa bring to the table to draw these teams that are better than pitt? You gotta give someting to get something. You won't see program agree to anything less than home and home. We do not have recruiting base or 100,000 plus stadium. Pitt and arizona are far better than tulsa or navy.

While I agree with you on Pitt and Arizona being far better than Tulsa and navy. It just sickens me that we fail to schedule big name programs, more so in the past when we were winning games, moreso than now. I agree with you that now there isn't an appeal, however a few years back when we were playing good football it still wasn't an option. Call me crazy, but as a fan I'd rather see a big name on the schedule in OOC play (whether home or away) and end up going 7-5 then beat a Pitt or an Arizona and end up 8--4.

However, that said you may be right and we may have nothing to offer to get the bigger programs to come to Iowa City.

For those of you who think that Iowa preseason schedule is deficient, here are the nonconferene opponents of the Big Ten schools for 2013

Illinois-2 AQ schools

Southern Ill.
Cincinnati
Washington
Miami Oh

Indiana-0 AQ schools

Indiana St
Mass
Ball St
Navy

Maryland-3 AQ schools

William and Mary
Temple
Conn
West Virginia

Michigan-2 AQ schools

Alabama
Air Force
U Mass
Notre Dame

Michigan St-1 AQ school

Boise St
Central Michigan
Notre Dame
Eastern Michigan

Minnesota-1 AQ school

UNLV
New Hampshire
Syracuse
Western Michigan

Nebraska-1 AQ school

Southern Miss
UCLA
Arkansas St
Idaho St

Northwestern-3 AQ schools

Syracuse
Vanderbilt
Boston College
South Dakota

Ohio State-1 AQ school

Miami OH
Central Florida
California
UAB

Purdue-1 AQ school

Eastern Ky
Notre Dame
Eastern Michigan
Marshall

Penn St- 1 AQ school

Ohio
Virginia
Navy
Temple

Rutgers-2AQ schools

Tulane
Howard
Arkansas
Virginia Tech

Wisconsin-1 AQ school

Northern Iowa
Oregon St
Utah St
UTEP

While I agree with you on Pitt and Arizona being far better than Tulsa and navy. It just sickens me that we fail to schedule big name programs, more so in the past when we were winning games, moreso than now. I agree with you that now there isn't an appeal, however a few years back when we were playing good football it still wasn't an option. Call me crazy, but as a fan I'd rather see a big name on the schedule in OOC play (whether home or away) and end up going 7-5 then beat a Pitt or an Arizona and end up 8--4.

However, that said you may be right and we may have nothing to offer to get the bigger programs to come to Iowa City.
For every iowa fan that whines about pitt on the schedule (insert any midlevel bcs) there would be twice as many florida (insert and top 15 bcs school) whining about having iowa on their schedule. Doesn't matter if iowa is doing well (see wisky schedule issues).

There is no draw to coming here. Being forced to have isu on schedule guarantees it. If you want change dump isu. You can then take a flier on a multi game deal with home and home as well as a neutral site.

At least for Wisconsin, I know this is the 2012 list of non-conf opponents.

Change the year, but marked's point doesn't change. With few exceptions, most schools schedule soft(ish) in the OOC.
Iowa's schedule is comparable to many schools and would score a decent SOS.
What's with the giant fuss? We're 7pages deep here!?!?

The Big Ten schedule makers giving us an unusually weak 2014 schedule is something of a mixed blessing. It's clearly a season that we should do well in but it's so weak than anything less than 9 wins is disappointing and anything less than 8 wins is borderline disastrous. I'm one of the really big supporters of KF, but have to admit this causes some potential problems for a AD. If we go 5-7 this year(I think we'll be more like 7-5). Yes, 5-7 would be an mild improvement, especially given the harder schedule but disappointing. It's probably not the kind of year that you can fire a reasonably successful coach over given his long history at the program(and of course, the big buyout). So, in that case suddenly 2014 becomes the big hot seat season...yet, it's a really weak schedule. So, while an 8-4 season would usually be a solid if unspectacular year. 8-4 in 2014 is roughly equivalent to a 6-6, at best, 7-5 normal year. Even with a weak schedule it would be hard to fire a coach after a 8-4 season at Iowa. So, this potentially makes Barta's job harder if he's truly willing to fire KF if he feels he's simply not doing a competent job anymore, the buyout money be damned. Hopefully, these next two seasons are good ones showing really positive trajectory for the program, we win 7...with a good deal of luck, 8 games, this year and then win 9-10 or more next. The kind of seasons where most rational people with realistic but still fairly high goals can be satisfied that the dip is over and the program has a really nice upward trajectory.

One thing I like about the easy schedule is if we are good we have a great chance of winning the division and being in the conference championship game. Of course we'll face a tough opponent there with both UM and OSU set up to have very good teams in 2014 and maybe UW and MSU as well. Potentially the conference's best season(even with Rutgers and Maryland starting conference play) in a decade. But, just getting to the conference championship game not only gives us a chance to win the conference but added exposer for recruiting and even if we lose but play well we're potentially attractive to BCS selection committees.

Last edited:
With Iowa starting the season 10-0 The games against Wisconsin and Nebraska at home will be huge. I can't wait!

Latest posts