Iowa vs Villanova Championship Game Thread

Too many missed FTs and a couple missed layups were the difference. It was as close to us as Marble making both free throws at the end of regulation. He makes both of those and we win by 1 in regulation. We'll get more from this loss than all the blow-outs so far this year.

A whole lot of Derp in here. We got beat, they played better and won, the Refs didn't win it, Villanova did.

We defended shots and they hit them. I'm sure we got a few calls at some point but I'm still ****** about some of the stuff at the end. Whatever, 2-1 in this tournament is fine. Just figure out how to finish games, or just blow teams out and not worry about it.

Ref'ings not an issue if we didn't let them get loose on D. And honestly the officials weren't as one sided as it seems when the game isn't going your way. There were some calls that Nove deserved as well and didn't get. Also, they shot really well down the stretch, hit some big threes with a hand in the face. I've always been of the mindset that tough, early season games, win or lose, help you in the long run. And this isn't going to be an RPI killer. Nova's ranked after this tourney and rightly so. On to the next.

Some thoughts: Marble is a helluva player but man what happened to his free throw stroke. Way to many misses from him in this tournament and I hope he can turn it around. Serious question but what does McCabe do to **** off the refs every night? Dude can't get a call ever to go his way. Zach played a great tournament and it sucks to see him have to sit at the end of the Champ game. This game was the reverse Xavier game. Up throughout regulation but let V hang and ended up losing a heart breaker. Hopefully the guys stay motivated and don't pout over this one. Have a good ND coming to Carver.

I guarantee Gesell doesn't foul out of another game all season. The refs didn't cost Iowa the game..but they dictated the flow of the second half and made calls to keep the game close. McCabes last 2 fouls were VERY questionable. The so called charge when it should've been and 1 then the box out..those fouls won't go against us at Carver. That's a promise!

Iowa took bad shots, missed free throws and turned the ball over after they got back in the game. Refs were not the best, but not the worst either.

Too many possessions where Iowa passed once and shot once.

Villanova going smaller and more athletic changed the game.

hang your head on the fact they couldnt close the deal. tweet that tweety bird

I will never understand why non-Iowa fans take the time to comment in threads about a game they didn't watch involving a team they don't like.

Really hard to beat a team when they get a lot of calls their way and start shooting unconscious at the same time. James Bell is shooting 5% from three and then makes 3 in a row within about 50 seconds. Villanova shoots 40% on free throws in the first half, 16 for 20 the rest of the game. But plenty of blame falls on us too, to be sure. For a team that shoots poorly, we took way too many long shots, and for a good rebounding team against a much smaller team, the rebounding effort was absolutely pathetic. All in all, kinda reminded me of the Michigan State game in Indianapolis last year.

Every single bang bang call down the stretch went against Iowa on both sides of the court. Combine that with Nova hitting some ungodly 3's and that accounts for something that most teams don't overcome. The fact that the Hawks were able to fight and claw back into it is nothing short of a miracle.

Latest posts