Iowa vs NIU Two Deeps

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
twodeepexp.jpg

Last edited:
Did I miss something about Rogers at FB? Figured that job was his for the next few years. Perhaps it's because he'll be getting some reps at RB as well? Anyway good for Weisman--he's a good kid.

Biggest surprise has to be Weisman over Rogers. Also interesting to see overlap at RDE and LDE. Situational substitution, maybe?]

Finally, Hillyard and Staggs are the back-ups but neither could be the 3rd WR to see action.

The more I look at this, the more I feel like that if we can get anything out of the defensive line, we won't be half bad. I'm very happy with all of the other position groups except for running back, and if our O-line is as good as I think it can be than even a mediocre back should be able to do enough to keep defenses honest. Just have to have one or two guys on that D-line emerge.

Biggest surprise has to be Weisman over Rogers. Also interesting to see overlap at RDE and LDE. Situational substitution, maybe?]

Finally, Hillyard and Staggs are the back-ups but neither could be the 3rd WR to see action.

I thought listing Staggs was interesting. He had perhaps the lowest preseason buzz of all the non-starter WR's. Shumpert, Cotton, the freshman all seemed to have more. Perhaps the slot position is not listed or considered. Also, perhaps KF just can't get let go of listing fifth-year seniors who do all the right things on the depth chart, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I assume Weisman over Rogers is simply because Rogers has been banged up in the preseason.

Buford over Draper interests me as well, as Draper perhaps "looks" the part more than Buford. Practice must have said something else.

Last edited:
The thing I like about the runningback group is all of them can catch the ball. Garmon especially would be dangerous in space. I predict we see a lot of Brad Rogers on third downs, especially early in the season. I think he's the guy Ferentz trusts most to pass block and I'm not sure it's close.

I still think Iowa plays with the OL weights. There is no way Blythe weighs less than J. Ferentz. When you look at those two standing next to eachother...blythe is taller, and thicker...I'm adding 5 to 10 to those weights...maybe a pyschological thing.

These guys are so small, let's bull rush them. When they are unable to do so, it must be deflating. I have a feeling you are going to see the stretch play alot this year...all these OL can run very very well. The interior of the opposing team is going to get worn out moving from hash to hash every running play...or getting into our backfield chasing the QB...not sure which yet.

We have the biggest punters on the planet. I would take our punters in a game of basketball any day.

Besides Kirksey, there isn't one guy I'd take on that front seven.
That lineup makes last years look like the steel curtain.

I hope the offense can score a crap load of points, boys

Conor Boffeli moves back to the center on the chart, backing up James Ferentz. He had been in RG mix in camp.

Austin Blythe is a starter at RG. Some wonder if he might be the starting center next year and starting at that position in the NFL.

Four true freshman make the list; Greg Garmon and Matt Malloy at RB, Connor Kornbrath at P and Kevin Buford at cornerback.

Don't get caught up with Darian Cooper as a backup...he'll play a lot of reps and there will be a significant rotation on the DL.

Ray Hamilton is listed at the backup tight end over Zach Derby, who is a senior and started last year. THAT is interesting.

Jacob Hillyer is listed as a backup WR and no mention of Don Shumpert.

Mark Weisman is listed as the #1 fullback ahead of Brad Rogers, but Rogers has been dinged up and wearing the red jersey during camp.

25 of 47 position players on the two deep roster are sophomore's or younger. That includes 5 of 10 offensive linemen. 8 of the 10 offensive linemen have eligibility for next year. Each of the five starters listed hails from the state of Iowa.

Last edited:

Latest posts