Iowa vs NIU Two Deeps

one interesting thing I saw was macon plewa listed as 2nd string mlb along with quinton alston. alston is a guy everyone on here seems to be high on

one interesting thing I saw was macon plewa listed as 2nd string mlb along with quinton alston. alston is a guy everyone on here seems to be high on

Alston's been injured and ineffective so far this preseason. Kirksey is likely the back-up MLB at this point, with Perry the 4th LB. That's based on the scrimmage anyways.

Having Simmons listed as the 2nd team at LG is interesting as well. It seemed like they were hoping to RS him to add to next year's depth. I wonder if it's a situation where Boffeli would be the 3rd guard if an injury occurred at either guard spot.

Besides Kirksey, there isn't one guy I'd take on that front seven.
That lineup makes last years look like the steel curtain.

I hope the offense can score a crap load of points, boys

You're calling out the linebackers? They are the same as last year you know. And people do tend to think that they are a decent group.

They may have a bit tougher time this year due to a less experienced defensive line, but Morris and Hitchens are better than you're making them out to be.

Hooray for hyperbole!

So you'd take last year's injured MLB Morris or this years healthy MLB Morris?

This is a classic KF send a message pre-season depth chart. Every year we see this. Without it is Paki, Grigsby, or the TE he had listed in front of Chandler that one year.

It is complete BS.

Same LBers. On DL, Alvis was hurt at the end, and Daniels had an ankle issue resulting in a lot of snaps played by Nardo...walk-on Sr. I think Nardo was our Defensive MVP in some games and loved his effort, but your statement is based on what could have been, not reality. Same w/ 2012-you just never know.

This is a classic KF send a message pre-season depth chart. Every year we see this. Without it is Paki, Grigsby, or the TE he had listed in front of Chandler that one year.

It is complete BS.

When KF steps down, and you take over, CAAR can end this depth chart madness!!! :D

Seven or eight years ago everyone was talking about how we were going to get killed up front by other teams over powering our DTs because we were starting two undersized freshman.

I am not saying that Davis, Cooper and Trinca-Pasat are Mitch King and Matt Kroul, but how about they play a snap or two before we get all doom and gloom.

Last edited:

It is complete BS.

Specifically, which positions do you feel are BS

So you'd take last year's injured MLB Morris or this years healthy MLB Morris?

Didn't say that, but no I wouldn't. Wouldn't take LTP or Carl Davis over Mike Daniels and Broderick Binns either. Its ok to admit that the front seven sucks besides Kirksey.

Didn't say that, but no I wouldn't. Wouldn't take LTP or Carl Davis over Mike Daniels and Broderick Binns either. Its ok to admit that the front seven sucks besides Kirksey.

It's OK to admit it to yourself, or express it in a different fashion, but around here it's not ok to say the players suck. They deserve more respect than that based on the work they put in.

Well neither of LTP or Davis play DE so I don't see the point comparing to Binns. Obviously we'd take Mike Daniels.

Overall as a group, I see MUCH more potential in this front seven. We have a lot more young talent, instead of the 4th/5th year journeymen that took up last year's line. We could see a huge improvement as the year goes on. I hope so.

Seven or eight years ago everyone was talking about how we were going to get killed up front by other teams over powering our DTs because we were starting two undersized freshman.

I am not saying that Davis, Cooper and Trinca-Pasat are Mitch King and Matt Kroul, but how about they play a snap or two before we get all doom and gloom.

Did you not watch Iowa football that year? With one of the best linebacking corps in Iowa Football history there were times when teams just ran the ball down Iowa's throats like OSU cramming 315 rushing yards on Iowa.

Specifically, which positions do you feel are BS

You know we never really know. The FB position is one that they often do strange things with the pre-season depth chart. It happens at WR also. Of course there is no way Bigach is starting at both end positions. I don't think the LTP in front of Cooper thing is a ploy. But as people say, there are lots of reps to go around there.

Think there is any chance that they might do some situational subbing at punter? For instance, bring Weinke in on the other side of the 50 to raise the specter of a potential fake?

You know we never really know. The FB position is one that they often do strange things with the pre-season depth chart. It happens at WR also. Of course there is no way Bigach is starting at both end positions. I don't think the LTP in front of Cooper thing is a ploy. But as people say, there are lots of reps to go around there.

FB: Rogers has been in red jersey a lot this fall.
DE: Bigach on either side probably has more to do with if they feel Alvis can go full speed in week one, IMO. the person who they feel is the third starter at DE probably is a one side pony and Bigach can go to either side.
LTP has been talked about by Kirk since Chicago. That said, Cooper, Davis, LTP and others are going to rotate...30 reps a game for Cooper seems possible, and that's a lot. So the starter in that instance doesn't really matter all that much to me.

Latest posts