Iowa vs NIU Two Deeps

Iwebema was a big time recruit, and Mattison had the obvious pedigree, and Greenway, Hodge, and Johnson were all seniors who were sure fire NFL players. Better than Alvis coming off knee surgery, and some guy whose name I can't remember.

This defense, as it stands, has one sure fire NFL player, and he's a mid-round pick at best.

And also, to the previous poster, King and Kroul never played over 300lbs.

Greenway was the only high round draft pick you listed. Hodge was a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Johnson was not even drafted I believe. He played 1 year for the Steelers before gong to the Candian Football League (So not a sure fire NFL player). Hyde and Lowery are both probably better then Johnson.

Ibwebema and Mattison were 1st year starters in 2005 as sophomores so it was not like they were established starters.

Iwebema was a big time recruit, and Mattison had the obvious pedigree, and Greenway, Hodge, and Johnson were all seniors who were sure fire NFL players. Better than Alvis coming off knee surgery, and some guy whose name I can't remember.

This defense, as it stands, has one sure fire NFL player, and he's a mid-round pick at best.

And also, to the previous poster, King and Kroul never played over 300lbs.

Iwebema was a three-star who chose us over Michigan State and Kansas State. Riley McMinn was about on his level coming out of high school; Darien Cooper was a bit better (offers from Michigan, Florida, etc.). I'm not saying these two are going to the NFL. I'm saying that we have as much reason to believe that they will now as we did to believe that Iwebema would then.

Micah Hyde is ranked as somewhere between the second and fourth best cornerback in his draft class. He'll go in the first three rounds.

Last edited:
I love optimism, hope and I am a faith based person. That said, to believe that this DL is going to be as good or better than last year's by midseason...can't go there with you. Don't think they will get there at all this year. Mike Daniels was drafted. There is not a player on Iowa's line, who if they were all draft eligible this coming spring, would get drafted. Binns was probably the most crafty DE Iowa has had. He was the best at reading his keys and staying home in outside contain of the KF era, and the best lineman at batting down passes of the Ferentz era. You can't add up how many yards and or first downs he saved with his uncanny knack to knock down passes. No, he was not an elite pass rusher on the edge, but I don't think we'll see one of those from Iowa this year.

Really? I always thought Bigach was the next Simeon Rice.:D

I love optimism, hope and I am a faith based person. That said, to believe that this DL is going to be as good or better than last year's by midseason...can't go there with you. Don't think they will get there at all this year. Mike Daniels was drafted. There is not a player on Iowa's line, who if they were all draft eligible this coming spring, would get drafted. Binns was probably the most crafty DE Iowa has had. He was the best at reading his keys and staying home in outside contain of the KF era, and the best lineman at batting down passes of the Ferentz era. You can't add up how many yards and or first downs he saved with his uncanny knack to knock down passes. No, he was not an elite pass rusher on the edge, but I don't think we'll see one of those from Iowa this year.

I think your overstating the impact of Daniels and Binns. Daniels was injured most of the big ten season and really wasn't very effective and Binns was a good player but hes probably not even in the top 20 defensive lineman of KFs tenure.

Last years line was not good at all. Its not much to live up to IMO.

This years could be worse but It can't be much worse and it could easily be better.

Just another note on the DL and the talent that is there. Not all of these guys will play this year, but over the next 2-3 years these guys should be playing significant minutes for us:

Faith Ekakitie - 4*
Jaleel Johnson - 4*
Darian Cooper - 4*
Carl Davis - 3* and one of few Iowa DL to be over 300 pounds
LTP - 3* who has made quite an impression this camp
Riley McMinn - 3* who is a 6'7" DE

I'm very excited about the future of this DL and I think we'll see rapid improvement as the season goes along and flashes of brilliance. I expect our first game against NIU for the DL to impress as they are going against 5 new OL, could be the confidence boost they need to grow.

Wasn't Mike Hardy a 4* or close to it also? He was the Wisconsin highschool player of the year and hes been making a push up the depth chart lately too.

I also like Spears potential on the end, Iowas had pretty good luck turning LBs into ends.

That defense also had Greenway, Hodge, Jovon Johnson, Iwebema, and Mattison as starters, all of whom went on to play in the NFL. This defense does not have that luxury.

Definetly not as good at LB,

Lowery and Hyde > JJ

Mattison and Iwebema were first year starting sophomores. Carl Davis and Cooper could turn out to be complete studs, we don't know at this point but they are bigger and more highly rated.

Greenway was the only high round draft pick you listed. Hodge was a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Johnson was not even drafted I believe. He played 1 year for the Steelers before gong to the Candian Football League (So not a sure fire NFL player). Hyde and Lowery are both probably better then Johnson.

Ibwebema and Mattison were 1st year starters in 2005 as sophomores so it was not like they were established starters.

Hodge and Greenway were sure fire NFL locks.

Re: Really?

I tend to agree with this..probably as straight forward as anything we've seen week one in years. The no Derby thing on there is a bit of a mystery. Other than that, everything else seems explainable by what is out there (re: Rogers wearing a lot of red jersey, etc)

With the number of dropped passes by Derby, I am not surprised.

They can't find a second guy who is playing well enough to be listed as a starter at one of the DE spots. Stop to think about that for a minute and then once again tell me why you would be bullish on this DL at this point.

There is not one player on the DL that has shown the level of play in an actual game of even the worst DL in the KF era. There are some intriguing young players, but that is as far as it goes.

Caveat: Alvis has shown flashes, but isn't there yet - post injury.

Last edited:
Hodge and Greenway were sure fire NFL locks.

Hodge was what he was drafted as - a mid 3rd round pick. He was also the 2nd middle linebacker taken by the Packers in that draft behind AJ Hawk. The Packers did not have him ticketed as a starter in the NFL. His measurables were that he was on the smallish size and not that fast. Hodge would have played longer in the NFL if not for the back issues, but most likely as a backup linebacker and special team player.

Greenway was bigger and much faster - hence a 1st round picks.

Last edited:
They can't find a second guy who is playing well enough to be listed as a starter at one of the DE spots. Stop to think about that for a minute and then once again tell me why you would be bullish on this DL at this point.

There is not one player on the DL that has shown the level of play in an actual game of even the worst DL in the KF era. There are some intriguing young players, but that is as far as it goes.

Caveat: Alvis has shown flashes, but isn't there yet - post injury.

All the depth chart is saying at DE is that Alvis and Bigach are the starters if healthy. Gaglione is 3rd and Spears is 4th. Gaglione must be most comfortable on one side while Bigach can play either end.

I am not "bullish" on the DL. I am just tired of people saying they are going to be terrible. I brought up the 2005 line because it is very similiar to this years line. Two DE that are 1st year starters with a little experience but still unknown and young DTs.

Hodge was what he was drafted as - a mid 3rd round pick. He was also the 2nd middle linebacker taken by the Packers in that draft behind AJ Hawk. The Packers did not have him ticketed as a starter in the NFL. His measurables were that he was on the smallish size and not that fast. Hodge would have played longer in the NFL if not for the back issues, but most likely as a backup linebacker and special team player.

Greenway was bigger and much faster - hence a 1st round picks.

So "only " a third round pick...

To reiterate, don't expect 2005 results because the talent on the 2005 defense was much, much better.

I think your overstating the impact of Daniels and Binns. Daniels was injured most of the big ten season and really wasn't very effective and Binns was a good player but hes probably not even in the top 20 defensive lineman of KFs tenure.

This years could be worse but It can't be much worse and it could easily be better.

Cheers to that. Worst I can ever remember.

Unless we have another Law on the team, Jon just posted that KF said Law had knee surgery and is out for the year.

If you look at the youth on the two deeps, Iowa could be very good next year depending on how the QB position shakes out because they only lose about 5 guys from each side of the ball.

bumb

Latest posts