Iowa Targeting January for New OC

Gang I'm starting to think that KF is having a hard time finding people who want the job. He's eschewed offense for years and I think his self awarness about this subject has been lacking. This is a brutal wake up call.

If he had to settle for coach Bud as the OC, If Cade isn't healthy and stay healthy, we're in for more of the same... and I don't think it will end well for KF at Iowa

This. Why do you think his son was the OC?

Maybe a booster has a nephew

Gang I'm starting to think that KF is having a hard time finding people who want the job. He's eschewed offense for years and I think his self awarness about this subject has been lacking. This is a brutal wake up call.

If he had to settle for coach Bud as the OC, If Cade isn't healthy and stay healthy, we're in for more of the same... and I don't think it will end well for KF at Iowa
While I feel your overall point here, Iowa is going to likely be favored in like 11 games next season regardless of any outcome at OC and that's if we have Deacon Hill playing QB

Last edited:
Updated Guess:

OC - Joe Philbin
WR - David Raih

Nice complimentary skills...Raih has done QB and WR before, right? And he has been OC and called plays at Vanderbilt, I believe.

Philbin knows OL and has coordinated offenses and staffs at NFL level.

Who coaches QB in this scenario?

Updated Guess:

OC - Joe Philbin
WR - David Raih

I know with both thought it would Philbin, but where is the WR guess coming from. Hmmmm……….. just to throw that out there out of the blue……….. hmmmm?

I know this was labeled by Rob as a guess. I believe him. However, if this guess becomes a reality I will be thrilled. I have said from day one that I wanted to see NFL blood in the OC. David has been an OC, a receivers coach and is with the Tampa Bay staff right now. We know Philbin’s wide range of coaching experience in the big leagues. Go get them!

Updated Guess:

OC - Joe Philbin
WR - David Raih

It is hard to get excited about that. I will be open-minded and give it a chance, but it feels like more of the same. The announcement of those two and I immediately think, news dump around 4 PM next Friday.

It is hard to get excited about that. I will be open-minded and give it a chance, but it feels like more of the same. The announcement of those two and I immediately think, news dump around 4 PM next Friday.
I believe "more of the same" is the battle cry of Iowa football.

Philbin & Raih would be pretty decent with those built-in barriers.

Very sadly, a normal football fan has to admit this is looking like it's true. Who'd want to be an OC at a power 5 school and have the head coach who's philosophy is archaic and who controls your every move?

Very sadly, a normal football fan has to admit this is looking like it's true. Who'd want to be an OC at a power 5 school and have the head coach who's philosophy is archaic and who controls your every move?

Could be, but to play Devil's advocate...

Would an OC want to step into a situation with an elite defense, a future 1st round pick at LT, a future high draft pick at TE, proven RBs, a low bar (anything around the middle of the pack makes this person a God), great stability, and a proud head coach who just MIGHT be willing to tweak his approach to burnish his legacy? Obviously the last bit is the part up in the air, but I don't think the position is as much of a wasteland as some are making it out to be.

Would an OC want to step into a situation with an elite defense, a future 1st round pick at LT, a future high draft pick at TE, proven RBs, a low bar (anything around the middle of the pack makes this person a God), great stability, and a proud head coach who just MIGHT be willing to tweak his approach to burnish his legacy? Obviously the last bit is the part up in the air, but I don't think the position is as much of a wasteland as some are making it out to be.

All of those things you mentined are true, but relative to other roles..is the lense.

I believe "more of the same" is the battle cry of Iowa football.

Philbin & Raih would be pretty decent with those built-in barriers.

I agree. I'll just add to that, that if an OC doesn't come to Iowa with the above situation and aren't confident enough with their game or don't think they might succeed, do we really want that person? If they aren't confident in what they are doing, then I question it.

Last edited:
I'm telling you, Iowa is likely to be favored in 10, possibly 11 games next season and that's before I know who our OC or QB is. That's not a bad situation for anyone to step into when you consider that scenario. I just don't expect it to be anything other than an old rerun because I know who's making the hire.