Iowa Targeting January for New OC

I think this was shot down as not true by Eicholt and other reporters. That was back before the bowl game I remember and I wouldn't use that as any kind of indicator. Doesn't mean it won't end up that way still but from what'd been reported KF hadn't decided on anyone or finished interviewing or 'talking' to people yet.
huh?

KF is running the show. Chryst, Philbin, or otherwise the offense is going to be the same.
KF was running the show for the BB, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi and CJ Beathards teams too? Just guessing but I'm thinking the Nate Stanley teams, or at least the first two, scored twice as many points as Iowa in 21, 22 or the 23 seasons.

I still think Fryowa nailed when he said get the o line right. Our d should be solid and if we want to play Kirk’s style of ball we need run the ball. Heck play action would open wide up too. youve got a good d. Punter is unknown but add a few pieces on o line and You might have a good shot. We’ve got some running backs. At this point that makes a lot sense. I wondered a couple times this year how big a difference proctor would have made if we paid him. Dude started at left tackle for bama so guessing it would’ve helped a ton.

I heard on some podcast that the OC for Washington is a former Iowan. It’s not that far fetched to think that maybe he would like to be back in Iowa. Offer him the chance at being an OC at a university that has a great defense with the opportunity if all goes well to move up to head coach. If he wants to be back in Iowa it’s a tempting proposition considering that Iowa is likely to give him more time to get his offense going and patience once he becomes head coach than any other power two school. The bar for offense at Iowa is set so incredibly low that how can any competent offensive coordinator not be confident in succeeding?

I heard on some podcast that the OC for Washington is a former Iowan. It’s not that far fetched to think that maybe he would like to be back in Iowa. Offer him the chance at being an OC at a university that has a great defense with the opportunity if all goes well to move up to head coach. If he wants to be back in Iowa it’s a tempting proposition considering that Iowa is likely to give him more time to get his offense going and patience once he becomes head coach than any other power two school. The bar for offense at Iowa is set so incredibly low that how can any competent offensive coordinator not be confident in succeeding?

I'll answer your last sentence. See below.

Kirk Ferentz is the head coach and controls the offense Iowa runs no matter who the OC is.

I still think Fryowa nailed when he said get the o line right. Our d should be solid and if we want to play Kirk’s style of ball we need run the ball. Heck play action would open wide up too. youve got a good d. Punter is unknown but add a few pieces on o line and You might have a good shot. We’ve got some running backs. At this point that makes a lot sense. I wondered a couple times this year how big a difference proctor would have made if we paid him. Dude started at left tackle for bama so guessing it would’ve helped a ton.
On the Hawk Central podcast Kennington Smith, who now covers Alabama for The Athletic, said Proctor got up to nearly 400 lbs. before training camp. I guess a teenaged kid with a $100K+ salary can afford a lot of pizzas and tacos. Not to say he was a bust, but as you'd expect, a frosh starting in the SEC took a few lumps along the way.

Eric Bieniemy is a HC candidate with the Commanders as well as a couple of other NFL teams. He ain't coming to Iowa, and I didn't know he was from IA.

I don't think KF will ever prioritize development of his QBs. His ideal QB is a 6'5" pro-style QB who sits in the pocket and doesn't fumble, doesn't throw INTs, and who can distribute the ball. Someone who can implement his offensive philosophy, which is, in his own words "Possess the ball. Move the ball. Score the ball" -- in that precise order of priority.
Given that reality, the best I'm hoping for is an OCoordinator who can recruit 4-5 star OLinemen, and develop them. If that's Paul Chryst, so be it. Our recruiting of OLinemen has been subpar for a long time -- really no difference-makers other than Lindebaum since Wirf and Jackson. The problem with Chryst, of course, is his offense at Wisconsin his last couple years was more predictable and more one-dimensional that anything we've had at Iowa for many years...and I REALLY don't want to go there.
And the QB's at Wisconsin are as bad as at IOWA.

Saban cited that his age was making it increasingly difficult to recruit players and staff...the question would arrise - how long will you be there? He was no longer comfortable with this. This was one piece that went to his decsion to retire

Kirk is no doubt expreiencing the same challenge. So it makes sense that he'd get someone like Cryst or Philbin who is financially set, who's goal is just to coach. Competence with offense and competence in treating the young men with respect.

Innovation not important or desired

Saban cited that his age was making it increasingly difficult to recruit players and staff...the question would arrise - how long will you be there? He was no longer comfortable with this. This was one piece that went to his decsion to retire

Kirk is no doubt expreiencing the same challenge. So it makes sense that he'd get someone like Cryst or Philbin who is financially set, who's goal is just to coach. Competence with offense and competence in treating the young men with respect.

True, but Saban and KF's history of coaching hires could hardly be more different. In recent years, Alabama has been a revolving door of coordinators, coaches, and consultants. Iowa? Pretty much the opposite.

I take it as he pretty much doesn't want to put up with all the bullshit changes in college football anymore.

Even if he was talented enough
what does that even mean, do you think Kirk sits his talent lol? Do you think he holds his players back from opportunity? Just admit you're not an Iowa fan cause no one is this daft that truly watches Iowa football. Iowa still has 20 players playing football over the next few weeks.

Latest posts