Iowa St. is still Iowa St.

You guys crack me up. First, you are all giddy that someone is going to waltz into Ames and take our coach away from us, but now that he is basically locked up for a few years, we are paying him way too much for what he has accomplished. I told you we were going to give him oodles of money and he would stay, but don't listen to the guy who might know a little more about the situation than yourselves.

You guys crack me up. First, you are all giddy that someone is going to waltz into Ames and take our coach away from us, but now that he is basically locked up for a few years, we are paying him way too much for what he has accomplished. I told you we were going to give him oodles of money and he would stay, but don't listen to the guy who might know a little more about the situation than yourselves.
Hahahahah pat yourself on the back O smart one!

Uh...locked up? His buyout is still exactly the same as it was prior to today's extension. All your AD did was give him extra dollars without any additional security for the university. Its called reading comprehension, you should look into it.

"The buyout will stay in that same continuum," Pollard said. "The buyout for this year was $9 million dollars. It will be $7 million dollars next year."

So...apparently you know less about the situation than me and all I did was read one article. You're an actual fan. Sad!

Uh...locked up? His buyout is still exactly the same as it was prior to today's extension. All your AD did was give him extra dollars without any additional security for the university. Its called reading comprehension, you should look into it.

"The buyout will stay in that same continuum," Pollard said. "The buyout for this year was $9 million dollars. It will be $7 million dollars next year."

So...apparently you know less about the situation than me and all I did was read one article. You're an actual fan. Sad!
I never said anything about the buyout. The fact that he will make 1.5 mil more a year and his assistant coaches get more too is a good enough reason. You really want to believe that no one could possibly stay at Iowa State for an extended period of time, don't you? I'm glad it seems like he scares the piss out of you.

I thought it was questionable PI. Probably PI but could have easily been a no-call. The fact that he threw the flag meant it had to be called.

It was PI. But what's worse, the "standard" for PI seems to "float" from official to official, crew to crew and, worse, team to team. What is PI on an Iowa DB is "good, solid coverage" by a USC, Bama or O$U DB. And now it appears that "he turned his head!" absolves other contact. How insane is that?

I didn't see the other calls, but the PI "overturn" was bad. Worse, though the ball spot went against KSU at the end, the confusion/chaos basically forced Campbell to call the T.O.

I agree, conspiracy is a bit much, but the PI call was bad.

I never said anything about the buyout. The fact that he will make 1.5 mil more a year and his assistant coaches get more too is a good enough reason. You really want to believe that no one could possibly stay at Iowa State for an extended period of time, don't you? I'm glad it seems like he scares the piss out of you.

You literally said "now that he is basically locked up" meaning you think this extension somehow guarantees in any way that he will stick around longer. His extension gets Iowa State no additional guarantees or protections from him leaving to another school. Pollard literally just threw extra dollars in his face.

Try again

You literally said "now that he is basically locked up" meaning you think this extension somehow guarantees in any way that he will stick around longer. His extension gets Iowa State no additional guarantees or protections from him leaving to another school. Pollard literally just threw extra dollars in his face.

Try again
I think you are trying to convince yourself that he will be gone next year. Why don't you try again

I think you are trying to convince yourself that he will be gone next year. Why don't you try again

I don't think he'll be gone next year, but thanks for trying to tell me what I think? What team is going to deal with a $7M buyout when nobody wanted anything to do with his $9M buyout.

I just don't understand why the extra dollars without the extra security? What was the point of that? Did Pollard try to lock in additional security on the buyout and Campbell said no...or was it not even discussed? I'd be curious about that.

I'm also curious why a 37 year old head coach who's had one 7-win season for a power 5 conference gets a $1.4M raise bringing him in the top 30 of head coaching salaries. I get it...the fanbase is energized and scared he might leave, but the extra dollars without additional securities for the university doesn't make sense...IMO.

PS - you keep trying to attack me as if I'm some scorned lover or jealous ex-boyfriend. I'm just discussing things rationally, so you can stop with the petty bullshit. I just hate when teams and fans overreact...like when the Twins locked up Joe Mauer to a ridiculously bad contract, or when the Cubs locked in Jayson Heyward to a riduclous bad contract, or when Iowa locked up Ferentz to two different ridiculous bad contracts.

I think next year will be very telling for Campbell. They lose ALOT of production from this team.

We shall see if “his” guys fill the roles. History says it won’t happen, but clone fans hold out hope.

Personally I like it if he can stay and keep doing what he is doing. Lose to Iowa and then have a respectable season so we don’t have to hear Cowherd talk about how weak the schedule is because Iowa state sucks so bad.

I don't think he'll be gone next year, but thanks for trying to tell me what I think? What team is going to deal with a $7M buyout when nobody wanted anything to do with his $9M buyout.

I just don't understand why the extra dollars without the extra security? What was the point of that? Did Pollard try to lock in additional security on the buyout and Campbell said no...or was it not even discussed? I'd be curious about that.

I'm also curious why a 37 year old head coach who's had one 7-win season for a power 5 conference gets a $1.4M raise bringing him in the top 30 of head coaching salaries. I get it...the fanbase is energized and scared he might leave, but the extra dollars without additional securities for the university doesn't make sense...IMO.

PS - you keep trying to attack me as if I'm some scorned lover or jealous ex-boyfriend. I'm just discussing things rationally, so you can stop with the petty bullshit. I just hate when teams and fans overreact...like when the Twins locked up Joe Mauer to a ridiculously bad contract, or when the Cubs locked in Jayson Heyward to a riduclous bad contract, or when Iowa locked up Ferentz to two different ridiculous bad contracts.
We have been burned before by a lack of a buyout and one that was too big to make a change, this one makes sense. And besides, we might just be a little more patient than most of the teams in the country. The bigger factor is the money going to the assistant pool. And sorry for getting chippy, I, like you, don't appreciate people talking for me.

I think next year will be very telling for Campbell. They lose ALOT of production from this team.

We shall see if “his” guys fill the roles. History says it won’t happen, but clone fans hold out hope.

If they can find a QB of any kind, they have some stud receivers and Montgomery. Week two vs Iowa and its rebuilt secondary and linebackers might not be pretty for Iowa.

They have a ridiculous schedule to start next year though. They go: Cupcake, at Iowa, Oklahoma, Cupcake, at TCU, at Oklahoma State. The rest of the schedule is very manageable but that looks like a 2-4 or 3-3 start to me.

If they can find a QB of any kind, they have some stud receivers and Montgomery. Week two vs Iowa and its rebuilt secondary and linebackers might not be pretty for Iowa.

They have a ridiculous schedule to start next year though. They go: Cupcake, at Iowa, Oklahoma, Cupcake, at TCU, at Oklahoma State. The rest of the schedule is very manageable but that looks like a 2-4 or 3-3 start to me.
I think Zeb Noland will be just fine. Doubt Park will come back, but he is alive and well, which is good.

Clowns have a hard time understanding basic things. Campbell Soup Boy is staying because nobody is going to pay his buyout. So why pay him any more money? He isn't going anywhere because of the buyout, not because of his salary. As soon as someone is willing to pay the buyout, HE GONE.

He won't be gone next year, nobody is going to pay a 7 million dollar buyout for a guy who won 7 games then stalled at winning another 6 or 7 games.

Sure looks like Rhoads got plenty of guys here that a huge part of this team.

Lazard - Rhoads
Ryen - Rhoads
Butler - Rhoads
Campos - Rhoads
Good Jones - Rhoads
Meeker - Rhoads
Garcia - Rhoads
Waggoner - Rhoads
Trent - Rhoads
Spears - Rhoads
Lanning - Rhoads
Harvey - Rhaods
Peavy - Rhoads
Cotton-Moya - Rhoads
Downing - Rhoads

Bump for @IAST8SGR8 You claimed that Campbell was winning because he is bringing in talent. Looks to me like Campbell is winning with Rhoads guys.

Everyone seems to love the Campbell extension. I don't really understand it....kinda think its a knee-jerk reaction IMO. He's 10-14 in his 2 years at ISU and they gave him a $1.4M raise? $3.5M a year for 6 years?

That puts him in the top-30 of highest paid college coaches. More than Pat Fitzgerald, Brohm, Paul Chryst, Bill Snyder, Mike Leach, Will Muschamp. And for what? Because he beat TCU and Oklahoma and went to a bowl game with a 7-5 record one season?

Add in that they had their best receiving core maybe ever and Murdoch and Lazard are gone as well as quite a few quality starters next year. Watch the melt down if they miss a bowl game next year!

Add in that they had their best receiving core maybe ever and Murdoch and Lazard are gone as well as quite a few quality starters next year. Watch the melt down if they miss a bowl game next year!

The offense was already pretty bad by Big12 standards. They ranked 8th in the Big12 in total offense (only better than KState and Kansas) . Their rushing offense with a good RB was ranked 8th in the Big12 at 120 YPG. Iowa struggled mightily running the ball this year and averaged 142 YPG on the ground.

The real strength for ISU was the defense, but they lose a ton from this unit. They lose all 3 LB in Spears, Harvey and Lanning (who was the heart and soul of this team). They also lose 2 DL and 2 from the secondary. That is a whole lot to replace, and the fact is Campbell Soup boy has recruiting rankings in the 50's so it ain't like he is getting plug and play reload type players.

I fully expect them to make a bowl game though. They have 4 for sure W's on the schedule. SDSU, Akron, Baylor, Kansas. Tech, KState, WVU, and Texas are all beatable as well. If they don't get to a bowl game, that is an epic fail really.

Latest posts