Iowa St. is still Iowa St.

If they can find a QB of any kind, they have some stud receivers and Montgomery. Week two vs Iowa and its rebuilt secondary and linebackers might not be pretty for Iowa.

They have a ridiculous schedule to start next year though. They go: Cupcake, at Iowa, Oklahoma, Cupcake, at TCU, at Oklahoma State. The rest of the schedule is very manageable but that looks like a 2-4 or 3-3 start to me.
I think they lose their top 3 receivers.

You aren't looking hard enough then. 60% of the two deep are Campbell's guys, and they all have seen plenty of action. There are numerous freshman and sophomores in the two deep. Definite talent upgrades going on.

The offense was already pretty bad by Big12 standards. They ranked 8th in the Big12 in total offense (only better than KState and Kansas) . Their rushing offense with a good RB was ranked 8th in the Big12 at 120 YPG. Iowa struggled mightily running the ball this year and averaged 142 YPG on the ground.

The real strength for ISU was the defense, but they lose a ton from this unit. They lose all 3 LB in Spears, Harvey and Lanning (who was the heart and soul of this team). They also lose 2 DL and 2 from the secondary. That is a whole lot to replace, and the fact is Campbell Soup boy has recruiting rankings in the 50's so it ain't like he is getting plug and play reload type players.

I fully expect them to make a bowl game though. They have 4 for sure W's on the schedule. SDSU, Akron, Baylor, Kansas. Tech, KState, WVU, and Texas are all beatable as well. If they don't get to a bowl game, that is an epic fail really.
Spears is a sophomore, Harvey is a junior, we lose Lanning

You aren't looking hard enough then. 60% of the two deep are Campbell's guys, and they all have seen plenty of action. There are numerous freshman and sophomores in the two deep. Definite talent upgrades going on.
I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m sure Nowland is the next great ISU QB that gets benched by mid season

ISU gives out a new contract because of one winning year. We all know what follows. 3 or 4 years of 3-9, 2-10, etc. and then another new coach while still paying the old one because he had one good year. Old coach is relegated to the trash heap of assistant coaches at a mid-major because he was too dumb to strike while the iron is hot. The circle of life at ISU.

Old coach is relegated to the trash heap of assistant coaches at a mid-major because he was too dumb to strike while the iron is hot. The circle of life at ISU.

Explain this to me, what job offers is Campbell passing up with that $9 million buyout? I've heard of no schools that are beating down Pollards door to interview Campbell. By signing the extension and increasing the amount of money he and his assistants are making IS striking "while the iron is hot".

Who were the awesome Fr and So this year? Montgomery, Lima, Bailey were pretty good. Spears, Meeker, Good Jones all are Rhoads guys.

14 of the 22 Starters are Rhoads guys. I only count 12 of 22 backups being Fr. or So. So 8 starter + 12 2nd teamers = 20 Campbell Soup Boy's out of 44. That is 45% last I checked

I'm sure the 2 deeps I used isn't exact, but I CryClownfanatics would be close: https://cyclonefanatic.com/football/depth-chart/

Lazard - Rhoads
Ryen - Rhoads
Butler - Rhoads
Campos - Rhoads
Good Jones - Rhoads
Meeker - Rhoads
Garcia - Rhoads
Waggoner - Rhoads
Trent - Rhoads
Spears - Rhoads
Lanning - Rhoads
Harvey - Rhaods
Peavy - Rhoads
Cotton-Moya - Rhoads
Downing - Rhoads

Way more Fr. and So in the 2 deeps for Iowa, and they are way more talented than ISU's.

QB Stanley
RB IKM and Young
WR ISM, Smith
TE Fant, Hockenson
OL Jackson, Wirfs

DL AJ, Nelson, Latimore
LB Welch Colbert
Secondary Hankins, Hooker, Stone

Last I checked, the Hawkeyes weren’t exactly playoff material. Hate to say it, but I think these teams are closer to even than the Iowa side may like. Campbell and ISU are on the come up, maybe slower than Iowa State fans want but overall they are rising. And Iowa is barely holding steady. Barely. I know we’ve all done the research, take out 2009 & 2015 and it’s close to .500. Iowa State has found something with Pollard & Campbell, and now Pollard has found life for the wrestling program. The Hawks better wake up, Barta on down.

Way more Fr. and So in the 2 deeps for Iowa, and they are way more talented than ISU's.

QB Stanley
RB IKM and Young
WR ISM, Smith
TE Fant, Hockenson
OL Jackson, Wirfs

DL AJ, Nelson, Latimore
LB Welch Colbert
Secondary Hankins, Hooker, Stone

Maybe more talent...it's the coaching and development that has me worried...

The games I've seen isu play it looked to me like they had quite a few underclassmen playing. The lines both looked better than anything in the Rhodes era. Not sure why so many people can't give them some credit? This was a huge raise, and was it worth it? Who knows but that team is trending up, and I think they've had more national exposure this year than I remember

The offense was already pretty bad by Big12 standards. They ranked 8th in the Big12 in total offense (only better than KState and Kansas) . Their rushing offense with a good RB was ranked 8th in the Big12 at 120 YPG. Iowa struggled mightily running the ball this year and averaged 142 YPG on the ground.

The real strength for ISU was the defense, but they lose a ton from this unit. They lose all 3 LB in Spears, Harvey and Lanning (who was the heart and soul of this team). They also lose 2 DL and 2 from the secondary. That is a whole lot to replace, and the fact is Campbell Soup boy has recruiting rankings in the 50's so it ain't like he is getting plug and play reload type players.

I fully expect them to make a bowl game though. They have 4 for sure W's on the schedule. SDSU, Akron, Baylor, Kansas. Tech, KState, WVU, and Texas are all beatable as well. If they don't get to a bowl game, that is an epic fail really.

Are Harvey and Spears going pro? They only lose Lanning of the LB's.

They are losing their two safety's, of which Cotton-Moya will be the toughest to replace. Edwards has been a good backup and will be a bummer to lose.

They lose Trent, but Lima was the guy who made the defense great, especially with the 3 down lineman. Between him, Tongamoa, and Uwazurike they should be able to at least be just as good next year. I will expect them to be better on the interior d-line.

They lose Waggoner as a D-End, but our ends basically contain. I think they can find a guy who can do that without a huge dropoff.

Losing Lazard, Ryen, and Murdoch will be a bummer but if we can't expect Butler, Jones, and Eaton to step up it's be a big disappointment.

The O-Line is very young this year and should improve. Campos could get a medical redshirt as well.

I expect the team to be better next year. I could be wrong but there are a lot of reasons to think that.

The games I've seen isu play it looked to me like they had quite a few underclassmen playing. The lines both looked better than anything in the Rhodes era. Not sure why so many people can't give them some credit? This was a huge raise, and was it worth it? Who knows but that team is trending up, and I think they've had more national exposure this year than I remember

Their Oline was really bad. Montgomery is good, and you can only must 120 YPG on the ground? He never had a hole to run through . The DL was much improved though.

Are Harvey and Spears going pro? They only lose Lanning of the LB's.

They are losing their two safety's, of which Cotton-Moya will be the toughest to replace. Edwards has been a good backup and will be a bummer to lose.

They lose Trent, but Lima was the guy who made the defense great, especially with the 3 down lineman. Between him, Tongamoa, and Uwazurike they should be able to at least be just as good next year. I will expect them to be better on the interior d-line.

They lose Waggoner as a D-End, but our ends basically contain. I think they can find a guy who can do that without a huge dropoff.

Losing Lazard, Ryen, and Murdoch will be a bummer but if we can't expect Butler, Jones, and Eaton to step up it's be a big disappointment.

The O-Line is very young this year and should improve. Campos could get a medical redshirt as well.

I expect the team to be better next year. I could be wrong but there are a lot of reasons to think that.

Yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking on Harvey and Spears.

I don't see anything on the ISU team remaining that moves them from a 7 win team to a 8/9 win team. You can't count on beating OU and another top Big12 team each year. You have to do better vs the Texas, WVU and KStates of the world. I see more 6/7 wins for ISU, which is a huge step up, and actually where Mac had them consistently and where Rhoads had them for his first 4 years.

I expect both Iowa and Iowa State to be better next year. Will their records reflect it..hard to say. On the CyHawk reaction radio show last night either Sage or Chuck Long said the difference between 8-4 and 4-8 is so small. Both Iowa and Iowa state were a few plays away from being 9-3/10-2, but also a few plays away from being 5-7.

Latest posts