Iowa ranks last when it comes to Big Ten sports in 2012-13

Well now we got the talkative 7 and you Dr.Vogs be part of it. Its the rebuilding of HN 2.0

I thought I was part of the Dirty 30...until they formed some group and didn't invite me. I still live with the pain to this day. Each day gets just a little better, and hopefully one day I can learn to trust again.

I thought I was part of the Dirty 30...until they formed some group and didn't invite me. I still live with the pain to this day. Each day gets just a little better, and hopefully one day I can learn to trust again.

I wasnt in either. Must have been 31 and 32.

Title 9 has nothign to do with money, it doesn't specify or regulate spending in any way shape or form. Id invite you to read it before you disagree with it. In fact, about 35% of most athletic budgets go towards women's sports.

Furthermore, only 7% of all D1 programs make money, the biggest losers are men's sports.

These are public universities not corporations. If we ran a university for profit every place would be like Devry with a football team.

Its all about money, You can twist things anyway you want. You dont have to be a politician to understand that. Do womens sports generat 35% of revenue ? AD are going to be under more and more presure to be self supporting because the States are broke and wont have the money to fund them. Iowa is very lucky to be one that does very well. That is the reason KF makes the big bucks. Iowa Football carrys the water for the rest of the AD
Title 9 has nothign to do with money, it doesn't specify or regulate spending in any way shape or form. Id invite you to read it before you disagree with it. In fact, about 35% of most athletic budgets go towards women's sports.

Furthermore, only 7% of all D1 programs make money, the biggest losers are men's sports.

These are public universities not corporations. If we ran a university for profit every place would be like Devry with a football team.

Which seems absurdly high to me as I am sure womens sports do not come close to bringing in 35% of the athletic department's revenue.

Then they should break off and apply for an NFL franchise, this is college. Are you in favor of gettting rid of all the academic programs that don't make money as well?

**** you art and history, you don't get big donors. From now you can only take business as a major.

Megan Menzel-golf
Tracey Greisbaum-field hockey
Larisa Libby-gymnastics
Marla Looper-softball
Sharon Dingman-volleyball
I honestly can't remember the soccer coach's name (looked it up: Ron Rainey)

Track and swimming combine the men's and women's programs, so they have the same coaching staffs (Larry Wieczorek and Marc Long, respectively).

We've got rowing, too, but I don't care enough to look it up. The coach was always very uncooperative with DI reporters (Who made a habit of showing up for the team's 5:30 a.m. practices every day in hopes of getting interviews. We ended up saying **** it pretty much every year, and just stopped covering them.).

C'mon, man you don't count.

I guess I need to let go of the 80's where it seemed like hawks were good at everything, truly a top 25 athletic department, revenue, performance on the field everything. Even Duane Banks, Ted Wheeler were able to make their teams respectable.........Ok, maybe i am reaching with Wheeler.

Then they should break off and apply for an NFL franchise, this is college. Are you in favor of gettting rid of all the academic programs that don't make money as well?

**** you art and history, you don't get big donors. From now you can only take business as a major.

Please show me where I said that they should "get rid" of all the women's sports that dont make money?

I just think 35% of the total AD budget is high. Did I say anything else?

I dont understand why its embaressing or sexist. Most people arnt against the sports just against Football haveing to pay there way. Or haveing to cut other sports that might generate a closer to break even income

I know it. Title 9 discriminates against men's sports. But I'm sure doclee is for that.

FreedComanche

Somebody was a liberal arts major, how's that $30k/year job treating you?

Somebody was a liberal arts major, how's that $30k/year job treating you?

I'm kind of sympathetic to his argument. I wasn't a liberal arts major. I'm wondering if the thesis of many posters on here is that title nine is partly responsible for the overall poor showing for Iowa sports ?

I was a liberal arts major. One of the benefits of the education was that it taught me that you should examine data, in this case employment and salary statistics, before you write something and appear foolish.

To me its like saying that every workplace must have as many females as males. The world is trying sooo hard to make things fair that it is actually making things very unfair.

I work for myself. Almost every co. I work with wants to know what race and gender the owner of my co. is. They dont just ask though they say check all boxes that apply

Native American owned
Woman owned
African American owned
Vet owned

Well guess who doesnt get to check any boxes.

There are multiple ways a school can comply with Title IX, including ways that don't require them to have the same number of athletes. If a school meets the proportional demand of the student body (for example, if 42% of girls want the opportunity, then that's all the university has to provide), they comply.

It's not a bad thing to give opportunities to women. And keep in mind that Title IX only applies to institutions that receive funding from the government. Private schools are not bound by Title IX.

Before Title IX, it wasn't like men's non-revenue sports were better off. The money that now goes to women's sports was simply funneled to football and men's basketball. Baseball, swimming, etc. aren't losing money because of women's sports. And in fact, while women's opportunities have risen thanks to Title IX, men's opportunities have gone up since 1972, too. The percentage gap has closed, but the raw numbers show basically the same gap between the number of men and women athletes.

Which seems absurdly high to me as I am sure womens sports do not come close to bringing in 35% of the athletic department's revenue.

If we're going to use that logic, just cut everything at Iowa except for football, men's basketball, and wrestling. I would almost be willing to guarantee that those are the only sports on campus that make any money at all.

Everybody loves to point out how no one cares about women's sports, and all they do is lose money. At Iowa, almost none of the programs bring in profits. Maybe women's sports lose more, but I'm skeptical about that, too. Most of the men's programs are every bit as guilty of not pulling their weight.

I know it. Title 9 discriminates against men's sports. But I'm sure doclee is for that.

FreedComanche

Title IX discriminates against men's sports, just like the Civil Rights Act discriminated against white folk.

In other words, it doesn't.

If we're going to use that logic, just cut everything at Iowa except for football, men's basketball, and wrestling. I would almost be willing to guarantee that those are the only sports on campus that make any money at all.

Everybody loves to point out how no one cares about women's sports, and all they do is lose money. At Iowa, almost none of the programs bring in profits. Maybe women's sports lose more, but I'm skeptical about that, too. Most of the men's programs are every bit as guilty of not pulling their weight.

If we did this, how many people would really be upset? 100 people, maybe, not counting the athletes who would lose scholarships? I wish we could do that, make everything else club sports.

If we did this, how many people would really be upset? 100 people, maybe, not counting the athletes who would lose scholarships? I wish we could do that, make everything else club sports.

This is so ignorant, it's not even worth countering. Nothing will convince you to rethink your position.

This is so true.

FIFY. I know you covered sports for the school paper so you care about all the non revenue generating sports, but you are in a very, very small minority of people that care about these sports. Also the comparison of title ix to the civil rights act is the most ignorant thing in this whole thread.

Latest posts