Iowa ranks last when it comes to Big Ten sports in 2012-13

I will give $1,000 to the first person I meet that can name a women's sports coach at Iowa besides Lisa Bluder. This selective caring about lame sports when it fits your agenda is awesome.

Megan Menzel-golf
Tracey Greisbaum-field hockey
Larisa Libby-gymnastics
Marla Looper-softball
Sharon Dingman-volleyball
I honestly can't remember the soccer coach's name (looked it up: Ron Rainey)

Track and swimming combine the men's and women's programs, so they have the same coaching staffs (Larry Wieczorek and Marc Long, respectively).

We've got rowing, too, but I don't care enough to look it up. The coach was always very uncooperative with DI reporters (Who made a habit of showing up for the team's 5:30 a.m. practices every day in hopes of getting interviews. We ended up saying **** it pretty much every year, and just stopped covering them.).

AngelEyes, it is hard to comprehend how ignorant your statement is. It is comical.

I think AngelEyes was one of the "dirty 30" banned previously. Must've snuck in under the radar, but having reverted to previous form, is now banned again.

Some people never learn.

So do you not like Barta either ? I have no real opinion on him but those who say all he has done good is hire Fran are way off. He has done a lot to help upgrade things inside the AD. Must be pretty good at raising money. I remeber everyone blasted BB and he did pretty well at Stanford and got a pretty good gig right now. I just dont know if average fans expectations for a AD are realistic.
That was my point. And it SUCKS!!! That's why Isu and Uni had to get rid of baseball.

FreedComanche

So do you not like Barta either ? I have no real opinion on him but those who say all he has done good is hire Fran are way off. He has done a lot to help upgrade things inside the AD. Must be pretty good at raising money. I remeber everyone blasted BB and he did pretty well at Stanford and got a pretty good gig right now. I just dont know if average fans expectations for a AD are realistic.

I'm in agreement for the most part but you'd think 7 years into your employment as AD would be showing something better on the field than being positioned at the very bottom. It's not like our budget for athletics is riding on the bottom within the BIG. He should get credit for Fran's hire but at the same time he hired Lick and that set us back more than a couple years. Have to measure success with this position beyond the brick and mortar achievements.

My post had nothing to do with if I like Barta or not. I just hate the stupid girls' rule in college sports.

FreedComanche

Barta has got the wrong job. He should be working for the University of Iowa Foundation and leave the athletics department to someone that knows something about sports.

It is almost impossible for me to comprehend that in 2013 people are actually negative about Title 9, which mandates equal treatment for female athletes at the University level. If you are going to express these sexist positions, please do it elsewhere. It is embarrassing to see these comments on Hawkeye Nation. Thank you.

Question about how these calculations are made. If not all Big 10 schools have teams in a sport, are the rankings adjusted? For instance, women's field hockey finished 4th among seven schools with teams. Does that count in the same way as a 4th in a sport for which all schools have teams? Or is it calibrated downward because it is also only three places from last? Another way to ask the question is whether there is an advantage or disadvantage if not all schools have the sport?

At the end of the day, finishing 1st in a ranking like this is mostly about bragging rights. I'm not sure it makes sense economically to strive to excel in non-revenue sports because it can get really expensive.

Last edited:
To me its like saying that every workplace must have as many females as males. The world is trying sooo hard to make things fair that it is actually making things very unfair.

I work for myself. Almost every co. I work with wants to know what race and gender the owner of my co. is. They dont just ask though they say check all boxes that apply

Native American owned
Woman owned
African American owned
Vet owned

Well guess who doesnt get to check any boxes.

Disagree all you want. That doesn't change the fact that those two schools had to get rid of baseball because of the stupid/tyrannical law that protects girls' sports.

FreedComanche

So you admit that you are biased towards UNI and ISU. I could give a crap about them.

I think AngelEyes was one of the "dirty 30" banned previously. Must've snuck in under the radar, but having reverted to previous form, is now banned again.

Some people never learn.

AngelEyes was an obvious Dirty 30 Alt, I didn't realize he got the axe though.

If you are going to express these sexist positions, please do it elsewhere. It is embarrassing to see these comments on Hawkeye Nation. Thank you.

I tried clearing this board of some clutter yesterday doc and my posts were deleted so this will be a futile effort I am afraid. I would expect your post to be deleted as well.

I hate it too. Its not that I think Girls sports are lame. If people like them thats fine. But I think what we spend on them should be in perportion to what they generate. If im not wrong girls BB gets more scholerships than men. I hate this PC world we live in.
My post had nothing to do with if I like Barta or not. I just hate the stupid girls' rule in college sports.

FreedComanche

I dont understand why its embaressing or sexist. Most people arnt against the sports just against Football haveing to pay there way. Or haveing to cut other sports that might generate a closer to break even income
It is almost impossible for me to comprehend that in 2013 people are actually negative about Title 9, which mandates equal treatment for female athletes at the University level. If you are going to express these sexist positions, please do it elsewhere. It is embarrassing to see these comments on Hawkeye Nation. Thank you.

Latest posts