Fake Punt

SCHawkeye2

The decision to call off the fake punt (which was successful) is emblematic of the state of the Iowa football program. Playing #3 in country at home as a 3TD underdog, Kirk decides at the last second to play it ultra conservative and wave off the call.
Classic Kirk.
Playing not to lose.

Ever wonder what KF writes on his clipboard after a play like the attempted fake punt, maybe something like “speak to OC about attempting fake punts- never again!”

Tyler Kluver, former long snapper for Iowa (tripped and fell on polecat vs. OSU in '17) said this:

Hold your judgement on that timeout by KF on the fake punt- Those plays are 100% look dependent once you line up. From what I can tell watching it back, they DID NOT have the look. Now.. they did get it.. but if you don’t have the look you DONT run the play. Very low %

What's odd about the whole thing is that, if I'm correct Iowa on a typical punt lines up 3 'blockers' between the LOS and the punter. In this case they lined up with just 1 'blocker', who was closer to the LOS than the usual 'blockers'. That seems like a rather obvious 'tip' that a fake is coming...I can see why Ferentz would be reluctant to run that play!