Iowa ranks last when it comes to Big Ten sports in 2012-13

The fact that there has to be a rule to have equal men and women sports already tells you it's not really equal. Not saying women's athletics isn't important but it's not important as men sports. There should be a rule saying that there has to be "x" nnumber of women sports. Otherwise some universities wouldn't offer very many do to finicial reasons, but equal isn't the correct answer IMO

The fact that there needs a rule tells you that people don't want to consider it equal. But people don't want to open themselves up to women's sports, preferring instead to either ignore or make fun of them.

And don't give me the angle that its not entertaining, and that's why people don't watch. Soccer is by far the most popular game in the world, yet we pay no attention to it unless its a video game.

Tork, you are beyond your years. Hack33, your trolling don't work on the smarter %, also i'm guessing you don't have kids yet and live in the confines of the whitebread midwest (iowa). A little culture and diversity hurts no one. Ooth, I hear your frustrations...what doesn't kill us, just makes us stronger.

So Colorado when's the last time you attended or watched one of Iowa's non revenue sports?

This has morphed into a political thread on affirmative action on a football board. The thread should be deleted IMO because it has nothing to do with Iowa football.

This thread has spun away from topic at hand, but it has been a good healthy entertaining debate. There hasn't been any trolling or name calling for the most part........why, kill it?

Last edited:
The fact that there needs a rule tells you that people don't want to consider it equal. But people don't want to open themselves up to women's sports, preferring instead to either ignore or make fun of them.

And don't give me the angle that its not entertaining, and that's why people don't watch. Soccer is by far the most popular game in the world, yet we pay no attention to it unless its a video game.

Is that the fault of men? Or men and women?

Is that the fault of men? Or men and women?

It's because of the way in which sport has been built up as an arena exclusively men. That's not a recent trend by any means. And it manifests itself in the way a lot of people talk about women's sports, with the assumption that female athletes are manly or lesbian. The same holds true for gay male athletes, too.

The idea of women being inferior goes back a very long way in Western history.

It's because of the way in which sport has been built up as an arena exclusively men. That's not a recent trend by any means. And it manifests itself in the way a lot of people talk about women's sports, with the assumption that female athletes are manly or lesbian. The same holds true for gay male athletes, too.

The idea of women being inferior goes back a very long way in Western history.

In which sport would a team of women beat a team full of men playing hard? Women are athletically inferior to men, men are bigger, faster and stronger. That's just the way it is.

In which sport would a team of women beat a team full of men playing hard? Women are athletically inferior to men, men are bigger, faster and stronger. That's just the way it is.

Which is why we rarely see women and men competing against each other. But that's not the same thing as simply hating on women's sports altogether and wishing they would just go away, which is what most people do.

So? .................to both of your points.

FreedComanche

So? .................to both of your points.

FreedComanche

The principle I outlined is no different than the issues with racism. The government had to put in a rule demanded the fair treatment of minorities; that didn't mean African-Americans were inherently inferior to white people. It meant that white people refused to accept that there was no inherent, biological difference between the two races. The implementation of a rule doesn't mean one group of people is inherently inferior to another.

Is Britney Griner better than LeBron? No. But she's never been in a position to compete for a male athlete's spot. She's been in a totally separate sphere, competing against other women. Those women should have the opportunity to compete, IMO.

The principle I outlined is no different than the issues with racism. The government had to put in a rule demanded the fair treatment of minorities; that didn't mean African-Americans were inherently inferior to white people. It meant that white people refused to accept that there was no inherent, biological difference between the two races. The implementation of a rule doesn't mean one group of people is inherently inferior to another.

Is Britney Griner better than LeBron? No. But she's never been in a position to compete for a male athlete's spot. She's been in a totally separate sphere, competing against other women. Those women should have the opportunity to compete, IMO.

It is different though. There are inherent, biological differences between a woman and a man. You arent comparing apples to apples.

And to compare a rule that granted minorities the same rights as whites to Title IX is ridiculous.

If you owned a business, would you devote 35% of your budget to a segment that only brought in, maybe, about 3% of your revenue?

It's easy to **** and moan about it because you know a lot of the female student athletes because of your little newspaper gig and I'm sure they know you post on here and because of that you feel like you need to stick up for them, but let's be honest.

Iowa should be investing about 98% of their AD budget into football, men's basketball and to a lesser extent wrestling. If the Hawks are very good to great in those 3 sports, 99.9% of all college sports fans will know Iowa has a great athletic program. That would matter much more than some stupid composite ranking that involves a bunch of sports a huge majority of people don't give a damn about.

But women athletes are inferior to men, that's where your comparison is woefully misguided at best and completely ignorant at worst.

To even compare title IX to what blacks went through to gain acceptance in this country is so ignorant it is laughable. Maybe when you get out of the classroom, and live in the real world, you will understand this. I like you tork, and if you want to argue for title IX, then knock yourself out.....but to compare it to the injustice and suffering that were perpetrated upon blacks in this country is rediculous.

Wow guys....this thread has brought out the a$$hole in most of you! Except for Tork, whose college education has seemed to pay of in more rational thoughts. Maybe none of you have daughters? And maybe if you do you don't want them to be athletes past middle school, huh? Bring daddy another ham sammy would you?

Surprised its still here as it has turned political. Sounds like a lot of butt hurt white guys.

You rock Tork.

What is the difference between club sports and most womens sports? They both dont bring in money. Some get funded and some dont. <Im really asking Im not trying to prove a point>

But women athletes are inferior to men, that's where your comparison is woefully misguided at best and completely ignorant at worst.

Again, this isn't like a female lawyer getting a spot at a law firm over a male lawyer for the sake of equality, regardless of the two individuals' abilities. We're talking about two separate spheres of competition. Jaime Printy can't take Josh Oglesby's place (despite how much some may wish she could).

And in any case, a lot of people speak about how Title IX has impacted men's sports, but they ignore the facts. For more information, give this a read:

Has Title IX, now 40 years old, harmed male athletics? - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

To even compare title IX to what blacks went through to gain acceptance in this country is so ignorant it is laughable. Maybe when you get out of the classroom, and live in the real world, you will understand this. I like you tork, and if you want to argue for title IX, then knock yourself out.....but to compare it to the injustice and suffering that were perpetrated upon blacks in this country is rediculous.

I said the principle still applies, and it does. I'm well aware that blacks suffered a great deal more than women do now (and I tried to make it clear that I wasn't equating the plight of women today to that of blacks before the CRA). But if someone wants to say that because the government has to implement a rule in an attempt to make things equal, then things truly aren't equal, then it's fair to point to the Civil Rights Act to show how ridiculous that logic is.

We tend to like finding someone to put down as inferior in our society. And that hasn't stopped, historically speaking, without the government stepping in and implementing rules to change it. The rules are an indictment against the way we try to put ourselves above others.

Last edited:

Latest posts