Iowa Press Release on Brandon Hutton Being Granted Release

So tell me, what else does a coach have to go by other than how someone plays in practice? Is there some aura a player gives off that says "I can only play well in games"?

Knight go back and read the part you highlighted and carefully read the last part of my statement. I said they do great in practice but basically choke up when they are allowed to play for real.

I think what you were getting at is those players that do well in practice and are not given a chance to play in a live game. I agree with you on that point. I think we seen this on the football side of things with CJ. His dad finally got sick of it and called KF out by saying if he don't play we are leaving.

If a player is doing very well in practice he should get his fair chance to play. I couldn't agree more.

I don't know what the freak Fran is doing but kids leave...he loses transfers to Creighton etc. I'm not really sure what's going on but I'm not convinced that this isn't the beginning of the end of a plateau that has peaked has unfortunately, has begun to go down hill. I dunno maybe he'll pull a KF and get back to the big dance next year without losing all the games in the last month of the season like he always does.

Who the hell transferred to Creighton? I count 0

You just described our starting center from this year, who gets very little love on HN.
I also described him as an explosive athlete. Which none of us would ever mistake Woodbury for. Nor can Woodbury effectively defend perometer players. But other than that.....sure.

Probably counting Cole Huff who chose CU over Iowa when transferring from Nevada. Huff had some bright spots this year, but was banged up and missed a lot of practice time which impacted him in games.

Don't know about all of them, but the three that left the team recently:

Kyle Meyer averaged 13.2 minutes, 2.4 points and 2.7 rebounds for Houston (22-10) this past year, playing in all 32 games.

Trey Dickerson averaged 4.7 minutes, 0.4 points and 0.4 rebounds for South Dakota (14-18) this past year, playing in 17 games.

Pat Ingram averaged 25.3 minutes, 3.5 points and 1.5 rebounds for Idaho (21-13) this past year, plaing in 25 games.

None really tearing it up and all at lower levels of competition than the Big 10.

Dickerson sat out out this yr due to transfer

I was afraid this would happen. I think it's the beginning of the end of my support for Fran McCaffrey. Just one bad decision after another, this year. Oh well.

A kid decides that the players ahead of him are better than him and he isn't going to play. That makes you not support Fran? I don't get it. Explain please.

Probably counting Cole Huff who chose CU over Iowa when transferring from Nevada. Huff had some bright spots this year, but was banged up and missed a lot of practice time which impacted him in games.

Creighton was in a lot better shape than Iowa when he transferred, they were just coming off Doug McDermott's run and they had tons of playing time available. He definitely flashed some this year, saw him play several times in person.

A redshirt Freshman transfers and people freak out, seriously. Welcome to the new age of college bball. This happens everywhere. I'm sure it was mutual. No big deal, the class was to big already, needed to empty one or two.

I also described him as an explosive athlete. Which none of us would ever mistake Woodbury for. Nor can Woodbury effectively defend perometer players. But other than that.....sure.

Did you complain about it when Fran got a top 50 kid in Woodbury to sign with Iowa over Roy Williams and UNC?

Woody was what he was, and by that he was a HUGE reason as to why Iowa has gone from the basement of the B1G to finishing tied for 3rd two years in a row, and is a huge reason we have made 3 consecutive NCAA tournaments.

A redshirt Freshman transfers and people freak out, seriously. Welcome to the new age of college bball. This happens everywhere. I'm sure it was mutual. No big deal, the class was to big already, needed to empty one or two.

To be fair there's 1 guy freaking out and he's kind of a negative nelly on most things Iowa hoops any who.

I don't know what the freak Fran is doing but kids leave...he loses transfers to Creighton etc. I'm not really sure what's going on but I'm not convinced that this isn't the beginning of the end of a plateau that has peaked has unfortunately, has begun to go down hill. I dunno maybe he'll pull a KF and get back to the big dance next year without losing all the games in the last month of the season like he always does.

For all we know, Creighton was all over that kid and wanted him bad while Fran was only half in on him, still evaluating if he even wanted him.

For all we know, Creighton was all over that kid and wanted him bad while Fran was only half in on him, still evaluating if he even wanted him.

No kidding. Creighton is part of the Big East, they are no longer MVC. McDermott beat out Kansas, Indiana, Iowa St. and a ton of others for a 2017 4* kid from Kansas. They also have another 4* kid for 2017 verballed at well.

He did say something about going somewhere to play a bigger roll in his statement. From that and your post I assume he was way behind. Still sucks tho. With his athleticism he might have caught up. It also sucks because he and Moss were two unknowns that I was really hopeful for. Now we're down to one.

Any chance Moss would be the next to leave? There would go the Chicago pipeline.

My question is how do any of us know he was going to be that good or a contributor? Not speaking ill of the kid, because he always appeared (based on my limited observations of him on the sidelines) that he was always a supportive teammate and engaged during the games. Maybe he just wasn't good enough or didn't show the potential or maybe he didn't want to wait around another year or two to see if he was going to get playing time. None of that is his fault, but it's not McCaffery's either.

Latest posts