Iowa Media Rolls Over

So what are YOU doing to challenge the u of I? Why are you expecting sports writers to get the answers you want? How many phone calls have you made to the Athletic Department? How many emails have you sent them? When was the last protest you staged outside bartas office to demand the answers you seek?
It’s not my JOB to uncover the truth like it is for a newspaper, tv or even radio reporter. The media here pretend to be professionals. The ones that take the job seriously, move on to bigger and better. The ones that stay around become exposed for what they really are. I gave up my tickets years ago and will never go back until we have coaches I believe in. That’s for both main sports. I haven’t bought the football product for years. I’ve spoken with my pocketbook and moved on to prioritize other things. I’m still deeply moved by my roots and the past when it was great being a fan (late 70s to early 00s), but will never be the same again as they aren’t interested in winning anymore and it won’t ever go back. It’s long gone...

It’s not my JOB to uncover the truth like it is for a newspaper, tv or even radio reporter. The media here pretend to be professionals. The ones that take the job seriously, move on to bigger and better. The ones that stay around become exposed for what they really are. I gave up my tickets years ago and will never go back until we have coaches I believe in. That’s for both main sports. I haven’t bought the football product for years. I’ve spoken with my pocketbook and moved on to prioritize other things. I’m still deeply moved by my roots and the past when it was great being a fan (late 70s to early 00s), but will never be the same again as they aren’t interested in winning anymore and it won’t ever go back. It’s long gone...
How do you feel you "deserve" answers if you refuse to support Iowa athletics through money then? They now have even less of an obligation to care to you.

If you "deserve" the answers you want, you "deserve" to seek them yourself.

The further you peer into any University looking glass, the clearer you will be able to see the veil. There is always one though to protect an image. If you didn't experience it with any particular University it's because you weren't looking.
I don’t know. That’s why I asked.

When I lived in Illinois I didn’t live near Champaign. The vibe over there wasn’t siege mentality of Champaign. It was more of a siege mentality against Chicago and Springfield (a few miles from where I lived) vs. downstate.

Believe me. The personality of Springfield is a lot different than the personality of Des Moines. Not for the better. And it’s not even close.

How do you feel you "deserve" answers if you refuse to support Iowa athletics through money then? They now have even less of an obligation to care to you.

If you "deserve" the answers you want, you "deserve" to seek them yourself.
Because I’m a tax paying iowan, an alum and iowa fan for nearly 60 years. That’s enough for me to wonder what the hell is going on. And again, it’s not my job to seek them myself. The media has a professional obligation to do that. Don’t worry, this will leak outside the borders eventually and a journalist outside iowa will have the verve to pose the tough questions and write the story like has been the case in the past

Because I’m a tax paying iowan, an alum and iowa fan for nearly 60 years. That’s enough for me to wonder what the hell is going on. And again, it’s not my job to seek them myself. The media has a professional obligation to do that. Don’t worry, this will leak outside the borders eventually and a journalist outside iowa will have the verve to pose the tough questions and write the story like has been the case in the past

That's how it's supposed to work. Rob Howe doesn't work for Dateline 20/20.

If I were a local sports writer and a controversial story fell right into my lap I still wouldn't publish it. I would farm it out to someone with no vested intrest and nothing to lose.

Your expectations are cruel and unrealistic.

They were informed before the press conference that Fran wouldnt answer any questions about Dolph. Not sure what you want them to do?

Ask anyway, refusing to answer is an answer but if you don’t ask you let him slide.

That's how it's supposed to work. Rob Howe doesn't work for Dateline 20/20.

If I were a local sports writer and a controversial story fell right into my lap I still wouldn't publish it. I would farm it out to someone with no vested intrest and nothing to lose.

Your expectations are cruel and unrealistic.
For the record, I’m not criticizing Rob Howe. You are the one bringing that up. I’m bringing the media up in total and talking more specifically about beat writers and hard news reporters. I certainly wouldn’t hold Rob or others writing for periodicals like this to a higher standard than them.

2624e0b8a589522d9af523ae35879993aa9187f570c98dbc70d1884efab14c6b.jpg

Your society is probably doomed when all its morality lessons come from career criminals.

WOW! Lotta drama over something that's pretty damn inconsequential.

I can't wait to see how pissed some of you will be when it dawns on you that Dolph has broadcast his last major college athletic event. He isn't coming back. The Hawkeye athletic program will survive without a mediocre broadcaster. Five years from now many won't even remember his name. It isn't like he's Zabel, Gonder or Brooks.

I can't wait to see how pissed some of you will be when it dawns on you that Dolph has broadcast his last major college athletic event. He isn't coming back. The Hawkeye athletic program will survive without a mediocre broadcaster. Five years from now many won't even remember his name. It isn't like he's Zabel, Gonder or Brooks.

Dolph is probably done with basketball I agree, but him and Kirk are pretty friendly. I doubt that Kirk sits on his hands and let's Dolph get ran out of the industry. If Fran wants to sword fight with Kirk, well now that could be something to sell tickets to.

Who were those guys?

Dolph is probably done with basketball I agree, but him and Kirk are pretty friendly. I doubt that Kirk sits on his hands and let's Dolph get ran out of the industry. If Fran wants to sword fight with Kirk, well now that could be something to sell tickets to.
Based on the fight Kirk's putting up with his neighbors, I have to agree with you.

For the record, I’m not criticizing Rob Howe. You are the one bringing that up. I’m bringing the media up in total and talking more specifically about beat writers and hard news reporters. I certainly wouldn’t hold Rob or others writing for periodicals like this to a higher standard than them.

Why would any of this nonsense mean a nickels worth of anything to a hard news reporter? It's a hatchet job. Discovering and reporting this as fact is hardly going to advance anyone's career.

The racism angle is the only tag line that has any play on the national news front. There is literally zero incentive for reporting anything in defense of something deemed racist. Even proving that a hatchet job was done out of spite, there are still the droves that have already judged and determined the comment alone to be racially inappropriate. There ain't know changing that narrative now.