Iowa Media Rolls Over

You think Gary Barta or some other U of I rep didn't tell Learfield exactly what the university wanted to happen? Why would Learfield want to suspend him when 99.9% of Iowans didn't even know he said King Kong until the news dropped that he's suspended? I swear some of you guys don't think straight. o_O

I don't think the U of I has that much pull at Learfield. Where I work, granted we are only a $3 billion company, we don't have very much influence about what any of our partners do. That's the way the business world works, and Learfield is a business. It may work that way in academia, but that's one of the reasons I left academia.

In the larger picture, no. They don't really make that much money from broadcasting Iowa games. Take a look at the map and see the teams that partner with Learfield and then get back to me. I think it would be worse for them if they lost Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Alabama or Oklahoma (or any of dozens of other major market schools). Yes, Iowa makes them money but let's not get too full of ourselves.

https://www.learfield.com/what-we-do/partners/

You willing to give up 7% of your salary?

I don't think the U of I has that much pull at Learfield. Where I work, granted we are only a $3 billion company, we don't have very much influence about what any of our partners do. That's the way the business world works, and Learfield is a business. It may work that way in academia, but that's one of the reasons I left academia.

The partnership is based upon contractual basis. I don't know if Kirk really has the power to effect who Iowa contracts with to broadcast games on radio, but I would be willing to bet that if Kirk wanted to go to the mat over keeping Dolphin he would get his way.

P.S. Learfield Sports is a private business as you stated. They are basically a sales business. In a sales business it is always a major focus to keep clients (partners) happy.

Barta says to Learfield representative. "Get that Gary Dolphin off the radio" and Learfield rep says "Sure thing. Kirk walks into Barta's office and says "I want Gary to continue to cover and broadcast Iowa football". Barta sighs and dials up Learfield rep. He says "Ok Dolphin out for BBall, but can stay for Football". Learfield rep says "Sure thing". That's my prediction of how this pans out.

Just for curiosity I asked a peer of mine what his official position would be on client requests of parallel gravity. As an EVP of Sales and Marketing for a fortune 100 I trust his judgement in this matter. His answer was plain and simple. If a client requests something that is easily accomplished without financial impact the answer is always yes.

My guess is that it makes zero difference to Learfield sports who calls Iowa Basketball games. Therefore it makes perfect sense that Learfield would defer to the clients wishes.

Where does the 7% come from? There are 128 schools and/or conferences that partner with Learfield? Iowa is far from the most lucrative.

Lol, I don't know what percentage of revenue Iowa makes for Learfield. The number was hypothetical and just meant to frame the idea of losing any sum of money.

Let's rephrase the question to portray the most conservative estimate.

Are you willing to lose .05% of your salary?

There are reasons to write articles other than simply to advance your career. One of them is...to simply...do your job. Some if you really don’t have an understanding of how the world operates outside of your own little bubble and it shows. Sad

I question that you understand what a sports writers job is. Again they are not investigative journalists. They were not hired to break scandals or deal in the rumor mill. They were hired to report on the happenings in sports. The story was reported. Job accomplished.

If a sports writer ever does decide to go further then covering the known facts and tries to uncover a deeper story, well that is the definition of above and beyond. Talk about living in a bubble.

I question that you understand what a sports writers job is. Again they are not investigative journalists. They were not hired to break scandals or deal in the rumor mill. They were hired to report on the happenings in sports. The story was reported. Job accomplished.

If a sports writer ever does decide to go further then covering the known facts and tries to uncover a deeper story, well that is the definition of above and beyond. Talk about living in a bubble.
You have no idea what the hell you are talking about

What an excellent non-answer.

I would say that's the pot calling the kettle black, but even that seems too nice.
I answered it spot on. In years where king ferentz has a record it is due to a jv schedule. Barta and ferentz have made a killing with that hand

I answered it spot on. In years where king ferentz has a record it is due to a jv schedule. Barta and ferentz have made a killing with that hand
Your username is pretty convenient, since it seems you're going senile. We had this exact conversation a month ago, where hard data proved you're full of shit.
Except for the fact that most of KFs success comes against really good schedules.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2019-01-07

03- 10th rated SOS (10-3)
04- 12th (10-2)
05- 12th (7-5)
06- 48th (6-7)
07- 73rd (6-6)
08- 30th (9-4)
09- 32nd (11-2)
10- 35th (8-5)
11- 47th (7-6)
12- 50th (4-8)
13- 38th (8-5)
14- 59th (7-6)
15- 51st (12-2)
16- 44th (8-5)
17- 10th (8-5)
18- 27th (9-4)

With 120+ FBS teams over this time period, Iowa's schedule consistently ranks in the top half of the country, and our most successful years they rank in the top quarter.

So much for "smoke and mirrors".

Your username is pretty convenient, since it seems you're going senile. We had this exact conversation a month ago, where hard data proved you're full of shit.
It most certainly did not and the objective, national media has told the real story that you and other kool aid drinkers fail to comprehend

It most certainly did not and the objective, national media has told the real story that you and other kool aid drinkers fail to comprehend
Lol so 1 year (where Iowa still beat 2 top 20 teams and 4 bowl teams) equals KF's entire tenure?

I've seen preschoolers use more consistent logic than you.
foil.0.png

What the hell are you doing out of your cave? The basketball has been winning, I figured we wouldn't have to hear from you until football season. I was hoping you would have switched to another team.

Maybe the newspaper (or tv station, or radio station, etc.) should have someone from their news department come to the press gathering in question and let them ask the question. Then the sports person from that entity wouldn’t be responsible for causing the ruckus.

Just a thought after thinking about it for about ten seconds. There might be other ways around it if I were to think on it for another 30 seconds or so.

Lol, I don't know what percentage of revenue Iowa makes for Learfield. The number was hypothetical and just meant to frame the idea of losing any sum of money.

Let's rephrase the question to portray the most conservative estimate.

Are you willing to lose .05% of your salary?

Just for the sake of being exact, you do realize that if your salary is $100 that losing .05% is losing a nickel, right?