Iowa Media Rolls Over

2624e0b8a589522d9af523ae35879993aa9187f570c98dbc70d1884efab14c6b.jpg

giphy.gif

Fran isn't obligated to answer any of your questions. He's not an elected official.

Look man, I get it. You want @RobHowe to throw away his career and his ability to provide for his family by asking a question he already knows ahead of time will not get answered.

I don't really see what the point is in asking Franiac right now anyway. Barta is the one who needs to answer questions first.

I don't really see what the point is in asking Franiac right now anyway. Barta is the one who needs to answer questions first.
Anyone that follows Iowa Basketball knows Fran wants Dolph gone. That's why they should ask him. I mean JFC! Barta's the one that told us these two guys hate each other. Nobody knew any of this shit prior to the 6.5 million dollar man dangling that worm in front of us.

Fran isn't obligated to answer any of your questions. He's not an elected official.

Look man, I get it. You want @RobHowe to throw away his career and his ability to provide for his family by asking a question he already knows ahead of time will not get answered.

Yep, this is totally about going after individual media members.

Not at all about refusing to just accept the will of, and standing up to, a university that still employs an AD who has been proven in a court of law to have discriminated against women. Not to mention hands out contract extensions that he's ashamed to make public. The spat between Fran and Dolph has been public as well. Even more of a reason to ask questions.

Yep, this is totally about going after individual media members.

Not at all about refusing to just accept the will of, and standing up to, a university that still employs an AD who has been proven in a court of law to have discriminated against women. Not to mention hands out contract extensions that he's ashamed to make public. The spat between Fran and Dolph has been public as well. Even more of a reason to ask questions.

again...we all want answers. But you're expecting a media member to throw their job away for a question they already know won't go answered anyway. It just doesn't make sense.

If you don't like your boss do you go up to him and call him a d*ckhead to his face? Or are you just a pu*sy who falls in line and conforms because you dont want to lose your job?

Last edited:
I thought Dolph was suspended by the media company. Go interview them. What the hell does Fran have to do with any of this? Much of this thread is a great example of a lame excuse to rage against the media, when in fact they would be completely out of line to draw Fran into the conversation. He probably would have responded that it is none of his business, and rightfully so.

Also, what in the world did Barta do wrong on this one? I don’t think he even made the decision to suspend Dolph. I know the hate for him is rampant, and some of the criticism is probably justified. But much of this stuff is the sound and the fury, signifying nothing.

In the end, you may want to read up on the legal end of dealing with personnel issues; then re-think some of your vitriol.

See...this is the type of thing that will force Barta and the university to respond. As was Jon's instant reaction. The media clearly isn't "folding". Along with fan outrage, social media outrage, donor phone calls, etc.

I thought Dolph was suspended by the media company. Go interview them. What the hell does Fran have to do with any of this? Much of this thread is a great example of a lame excuse to rage against the media, when in fact they would be completely out of line to draw Fran into the conversation. He probably would have responded that it is none of his business, and rightfully so.

Also, what in the world did Barta do wrong on this one? I don’t think he even made the decision to suspend Dolph. I know the hate for him is rampant, and some of the criticism is probably justified. But much of this stuff is the sound and the fury, signifying nothing.

In the end, you may want to read up on the legal end of dealing with personnel issues; then re-think some of your vitriol.

Agree with a lot of this, but I think Barta had a lot to do with the suspension. If he had nothing to do with it, why was he hiding from the press all day today? Leerfield is a partner with the University of Iowa.

If everyone went ahead and asked the question, would they really risk getting rid of everyone? Just curious about that.

Why, is it not their job to ask the tough questions? Questions the coach might not want to have asked. Think if news organizations agreed to ask the government only the questions the government wanted them to ask. Its basically state run media. Is that really what you want out of even sports reporters?

There is a major difference dude. This isn't CNN. These aren't investigative journalists. They are sports writers. If there is rumor, they might dig. They certainly aren't going to go right at the head of the snake.

Furthermore you should be ashamed that you are expecting someone to risk their career for your reading pleasure about sporting events.

The Dolphin situation is quite obvious. It doesn't need to be asked. Plenty of opinions will be given by Iowa sports media and maybe some rumors will be verified, but its unlikely.

You want hard hitting journalism? Then you better get ahold of ESPN producers and convince them there is a hidden story here. In the meantime please quite dragging regular sports writers through the mud.

And never cover Iowa sports again? Great advice
It’s called integrity and professionalism. It’s also how you get bigger jobs with real media outlets. The problem is, the media here are fans and not journalists si they don’t aspire to do anything beyond their current carpet square so this is why you get the media defenders like they have. Not like the old days.

It’s called integrity and professionalism. It’s also how you get bigger jobs with real media outlets. The problem is, the media here are fans and not journalists si they don’t aspire to do anything beyond their current carpet square so this is why you get the media defenders like they have. Not like the old days.
You don’t think they were told that Iowa was not going to address the topic before hand so don’t ask? Trust me, I want them to ask too, but if you think there isn’t etiquette to the press room your not really understanding the situation. IMO, Iowa is handling this pretty poorly, but that’s how they handled it

Last edited:
You don’t think they were told that Iowa was not going to address the topic before hand so don’t ask? Trust me, I want them to ask too, but if you think there isn’t edicate to the press room your not really understanding the situation. IMO, Iowa is handling this pretty poorly, but that’s how they handled it
I do think they were told that, but a professional will still have enough pride to do his job. The media doesn’t work for the u of i. And yes, I fully understand the etiquette

I do think they were told that, but a professional will still have enough pride to do his job. The media doesn’t work for the u of i. And yes, I fully understand the etiquette
Well, it’s not like they haven’t asked the hard questions to Fran in the past. They likely were told that Fran wouldn’t be addressing it so if you like covering Iowa athletics, ya don’t ask. I’m not saying I agree with it.

Fran didn't suspend Dolph. Sure Fran might not like Dolph, but this is from Barta, so Barta should have to answer for it, NOT Fran.

What I don't understand is how a guy that was found guilty in a court of law of firing someone and ruining their lives for prejudicial reasons, yet he still has a job......BUUUUUUUTTTTTTT the guy who says something insensitive (and only if you take it way out of context and put meaning to it that was never there) gets suspended from his job.

Fran didn't suspend Dolph. Sure Fran might not like Dolph, but this is from Barta, so Barta should have to answer for it, NOT Fran.

What I don't understand is how a guy that was found guilty in a court of law of firing someone and ruining their lives for prejudicial reasons, yet he still has a job......BUUUUUUUTTTTTTT the guy who says something insensitive (and only if you take it way out of context and put meaning to it that was never there) gets suspended from his job.
This is exactly right. I think it would be interesting to know who complained about that phrase. I guarantee you it wasn't Maryland. And that Miller instant podcast is must listen stuff.

Latest posts