Iowa Media Rolls Over

It’s not my JOB to uncover the truth like it is for a newspaper, tv or even radio reporter. The media here pretend to be professionals. The ones that take the job seriously, move on to bigger and better. The ones that stay around become exposed for what they really are. I gave up my tickets years ago and will never go back until we have coaches I believe in. That’s for both main sports. I haven’t bought the football product for years. I’ve spoken with my pocketbook and moved on to prioritize other things. I’m still deeply moved by my roots and the past when it was great being a fan (late 70s to early 00s), but will never be the same again as they aren’t interested in winning anymore and it won’t ever go back. It’s long gone...
You missed magical seasons in 2009'and 2015. Stay strong.

Dolph is probably done with basketball I agree, but him and Kirk are pretty friendly. I doubt that Kirk sits on his hands and let's Dolph get ran out of the industry. If Fran wants to sword fight with Kirk, well now that could be something to sell tickets to.

Pretty sure Kirk swings the bigger pork sword...

Agree with a lot of this, but I think Barta had a lot to do with the suspension. If he had nothing to do with it, why was he hiding from the press all day today? Leerfield is a partner with the University of Iowa.

The company I work for partners with several companies in Europe. We have no say in who gets hired or fired with our partners. What makes everyone think that anyone at the University has anything to do with who gets hired or fired with Learfield? Learfield partners with lots (I didn't bother counting but it looked like at least 100) of colleges and universities; Iowa, Iowa St and UNI are just three of them.

There is a major difference dude. This isn't CNN. These aren't investigative journalists. They are sports writers. If there is rumor, they might dig. They certainly aren't going to go right at the head of the snake.

Furthermore you should be ashamed that you are expecting someone to risk their career for your reading pleasure about sporting events.

The Dolphin situation is quite obvious. It doesn't need to be asked. Plenty of opinions will be given by Iowa sports media and maybe some rumors will be verified, but its unlikely.

You want hard hitting journalism? Then you better get ahold of ESPN producers and convince them there is a hidden story here. In the meantime please quite dragging regular sports writers through the mud.

Are you kidding me? ESPN is so PC now that they wouldn't care. Lots of the best at ESPN were fired a while back in the name of PC.

Then you are making the point several of us are trying to say. A real journalist will put their profession first and challenge the u of i. As would their employer. But we know the answer to these questions. We deserve our own reputation given to us from the outside

If you thought about your statement, yeah, their employer would back them up... but what good is a beat writer that is banned from his/her beat?

Dolph is probably done with basketball I agree, but him and Kirk are pretty friendly. I doubt that Kirk sits on his hands and let's Dolph get ran out of the industry. If Fran wants to sword fight with Kirk, well now that could be something to sell tickets to.

I don't doubt that Dolph and Kirk could be friends. But what makes you think a state employee has any pull with a private company that partners with the University?

I don't doubt that Dolph and Kirk could be friends. But what makes you think a state employee has any pull with a private company that partners with the University?
You think Gary Barta or some other U of I rep didn't tell Learfield exactly what the university wanted to happen? Why would Learfield want to suspend him when 99.9% of Iowans didn't even know he said King Kong until the news dropped that he's suspended? I swear some of you guys don't think straight. o_O

Well Learfield Sports makes money from broadcasting Iowa games. If part or all of that revenue were to for some reason go away, well that would financially impact said business. If Kirk runs the Athletic Department like has been alleged. Then surely he would have the power to blackmail such a financial impact. If he were so inclined to flex on dem haterz.

I’m still deeply moved by my roots and the past when it was great being a fan (late 70s to early 00s), but will never be the same again as they aren’t interested in winning anymore and it won’t ever go back. It’s long gone...

Are you reading lines for a Broadway audition? So dramatic. I almost felt your made up pain and woe.

Why would any of this nonsense mean a nickels worth of anything to a hard news reporter? It's a hatchet job. Discovering and reporting this as fact is hardly going to advance anyone's career.

The racism angle is the only tag line that has any play on the national news front. There is literally zero incentive for reporting anything in defense of something deemed racist. Even proving that a hatchet job was done out of spite, there are still the droves that have already judged and determined the comment alone to be racially inappropriate. There ain't know changing that narrative now.
There are reasons to write articles other than simply to advance your career. One of them is...to simply...do your job. Some if you really don’t have an understanding of how the world operates outside of your own little bubble and it shows. Sad

You missed magical seasons in 2009'and 2015. Stay strong.
Magical? Lol. Getting your ass handed to you by stanford and discovering the season was a fraud hardly qualifies. It’s been said repeatedly by the outside media that the football program wins occasionally based on soft schedules. The national media is all over that narrative and has been for years. The local media keeps the fairy tale living

Magical? Lol. Getting your ass handed to you by stanford and discovering the season was a fraud hardly qualifies. It’s been said repeatedly by the outside media that the football program wins occasionally based on soft schedules. The national media is all over that narrative and has been for years. The local media keeps the fairy tale living
Lol, yeah, one loss to a really good team wipes away an undefeated season.

What's it like being so miserable all the time?

Well Learfield Sports makes money from broadcasting Iowa games. If part or all of that revenue were to for some reason go away, well that would financially impact said business. If Kirk runs the Athletic Department like has been alleged. Then surely he would have the power to blackmail such a financial impact. If he were so inclined to flex on dem haterz.

In the larger picture, no. They don't really make that much money from broadcasting Iowa games. Take a look at the map and see the teams that partner with Learfield and then get back to me. I think it would be worse for them if they lost Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Alabama or Oklahoma (or any of dozens of other major market schools). Yes, Iowa makes them money but let's not get too full of ourselves.

https://www.learfield.com/what-we-do/partners/