Iowa, McCaffery Address Contract Extension, Buyout

up until this season, Fran's revitalization of Iowa's program probably looked pretty attractive to a lot of schools in a similar boat, not to mention, Fran has been kind of a job hopper....Doesn't mean I think it was right with the buy out or how they hid the info... Also - Iowa's stadium was fairly empty even when they were going to the dance and Fran has some highly rated spawn - he's WAS probably contacted. Doesn't mean you have to give a 10 million buy out.

I don’t blame the media in this case. There is really no way they could have possibly known a contract was signed behind closed doors. This thing is really unprecedented. You actually could give the media credit for requesting the information in this case which likely was done because of how bad we were playing. If they didn’t uncover this who knows when we would have found out!

Now the hope would be that the media continues to pressure Barta and the president to answer tough questions about the situation. Remains to be seen if that will happen. Unlikely.

Fran really has no blame here, if I were him I would have signed the contract too and there is really no reason for him to announce it if the athletic department hasn’t.
It's not really a scandal. The UI didn't do anything unethical or illegal. Very poor judgment in not revealing it sooner, which should be another marker on the judgment of Barta in these types of things, but not scandalous in my judgment. This information is going to come out eventually, why sit on it? It only creates a bad impression with the public, when there's nothing to hide, unless you're embarrassed by the deal, which is still no reason to not disclose it when it happened. Now there are two stories instead of one - 1) why did you make that deal? and 2) why did you not report it when it was done?

so signing was delayed so barta could have cancer treatment. it was scheduled to be signed the day after the VaTech game. it was signed then. would the out rage of a contract extension be at a lesser level than as now? most folks were calling for fran to be fired after losing the 2 tourney games in November.

So again, like Rhabdo ....

Whar Gar?

Hiding again when things are tough. What leadership we have as AD.

Don’t do your business in the dark, do it in the light.
Gary Barta is why I dropped season tickets in 2011! I knew he was a dishonest piece of trash then. I tried to make everyone aware. I guess they thought I was joking? Or making it up? Or that I was a hater? Now, everybody can see it for themselves.

I don’t blame the media in this case. There is really no way they could have possibly known a contract was signed behind closed doors. This thing is really unprecedented. You actually could give the media credit for requesting the information in this case which likely was done because of how bad we were playing. If they didn’t uncover this who knows when we would have found out!

Now the hope would be that the media continues to pressure Barta and the president to answer tough questions about the situation. Remains to be seen if that will happen. Unlikely.

Fran really has no blame here, if I were him I would have signed the contract too and there is really no reason for him to announce it if the athletic department hasn’t.
I blame them for their complicity in enabling Barta for the past decade. Because that's exactly what they've done.

It's not really a scandal. The UI didn't do anything unethical or illegal. Very poor judgment in not revealing it sooner, which should be another marker on the judgment of Barta in these types of things, but not scandalous in my judgment. This information is going to come out eventually, why sit on it? It only creates a bad impression with the public, when there's nothing to hide, unless you're embarrassed by the deal, which is still no reason to not disclose it when it happened. Now there are two stories instead of one - 1) why did you make that deal? and 2) why did you not report it when it was done?
Absolutely 100% unethical when you deny a media request and force them to go through FOI.

I don't think it rises to the level of a scandal either and I've been on record for NOT blaming the press. I agree that it represents another in a series of poor judgements that demand action at some point. In my opinion we're past the point where Barta should be allowed to make another coaching decision. If there are no contracts to be signed for the next couple years, then he can stay and raise funds but he needs to be gone sooner than later.

Latest posts