Iowa, McCaffery Address Contract Extension, Buyout

Are you being sarcastic? I really can't tell. To me the statement says, we did an extension, its commensurate with the market (which I don't agree with), move on. They didn't address why it was done under the cover of night (meaning no press release). They didn't address why they denied a media request and forced it into a FOIA request. They cherry picked the parts that it isn't out of line (again disagree) and that it shows faith in Fran and ignored the negative aspects and sounds like didn't take any questions related to it.
No.....you are taking it the wrong way. I'm serious with what I said. I think they are putting this stuff out there to quite people. I don't agree with it.

No.....you are taking it the wrong way. I'm serious with what I said. I think they are putting this stuff out there to quite people. I don't agree with it.
Well its failing because I'm MORE pissed. Its dismissive and ignored the real issue by answering questions no one asked. Its playing dumb. The questions asked are, "Why was this done in secret?" and "Why did you deny a professional journalism a reasonable request?" and "Why did you drag your feet on the FOIA, this wasn't request for thousands of decade old records, you could have provided it 5 minutes after the FOIA hit your desk?" The questions answered were, "Does the University have long term faith in Fran? and "Is the buyout market competitive?" That is intentionally dodging the issue and yeah, I'm MORE pissed now.

The way I am coaching right now...I am glad the minimum wage is going up, a guarantee...hahaha...wait...I got several million from that Barta guy...not sure why...no, he is out of town today, can't answer any questions...told me to do it.

CFL Coach For Life Contracts...lots of pressure at Iowa. Joke...like the empty seats that will expand...game by game...

Coaches have leverage because ADs give leverage.

What’s wrong with bargaining this: I’m going to extend your contract and give you a slight pay raise but no, no buyout.

You want a buyout of 150% for failing to do what you’re paid to do?

Nope. There’s somebody that’ll be willing to coach without a buyout. It’s called — competition.

Coaches have leverage because ADs give leverage.

What’s wrong with bargaining this: I’m going to extend your contract and give you a slight pay raise but no, no buyout.

You want a buyout of 150% for failing to do what you’re paid to do?

Nope. There’s somebody that’ll be willing to coach without a buyout. It’s called — competition.

a buyout serves both sides.

a buyout serves both sides.
A $10m buyout doesn’t serve the University at all. If that was the amount a school wanting to hire him would pay, then you’d have a point...but it’s only the amount paid to him by the U if I when terminated without cause...so it’s one sided...

Pretty shameful that they sent Fran out to answer questions. This isn't on Fran, IMO. It's on Barta and the Iowa media, since both seem to care about doing the bare minimum to draw a paycheck.
From a management standpoint this should have been Barta holding a news conference, in person. This shouldn’t have been Fran and some athletic department flunky.

Speaks volumes to the regard they hold Iowa fans.

Well its failing because I'm MORE pissed. Its dismissive and ignored the real issue by answering questions no one asked. Its playing dumb. The questions asked are, "Why was this done in secret?" and "Why did you deny a professional journalism a reasonable request?" and "Why did you drag your feet on the FOIA, this wasn't request for thousands of decade old records, you could have provided it 5 minutes after the FOIA hit your desk?" The questions answered were, "Does the University have long term faith in Fran? and "Is the buyout market competitive?" That is intentionally dodging the issue and yeah, I'm MORE pissed now.
tenor.gif

The buyout essentially ensures that FM will be the Iowa coach not matter what he does this season and next. It will cost $9M to buy him out if he's fired without cause before July 1 of '19. If he was going to be fired after next season, it would be right around the end of the campaign, in March. Schools normally don't fire coaches during the summer.

The buyout essentially ensures that FM will be the Iowa coach not matter what he does this season and next. It will cost $9M to buy him out if he's fired without cause before July 1 of '19. If he was going to be fired after next season, it would be right around the end of the campaign, in March. Schools normally don't fire coaches during the summer.
Wait, I really want to understand this. So you're saying normally basketball coaches are fired in March. But the drop in the buyout takes place in July? WHY would you structure it that way? As lopsided as the overall contract is, isn't this insult to injury? Why not have the buyout drop after the end of the season instead? This is maddening!

There's gotta be some schools out there that can afford $2mill, right? I bet we can talk UNM into doing this again. Please.

Wait, I really want to understand this. So you're saying normally basketball coaches are fired in March. But the drop in the buyout takes place in July? WHY would you structure it that way? As lopsided as the overall contract is, isn't this insult to injury? Why not have the buyout drop after the end of the season instead? This is maddening!
Because Gary is Fran's agent?

The academic year starts on July 1.
Gullible Gary.

The contract extension says he's not going to be fired for at least 3 years. The buyout is just the rubber helmet icing on the derp cake.

Because Barta would rather hamstring the University than make tough choices or do the work required of him. When looking at KF and FM buyouts in addition to the $6.5M he lost in the recent lawsuit, he’s hamstrung the University for over $40M. How can he still have a job? If Harreld isn’t going to do anything, then the Regents need to step in and remove him.

Latest posts