Iowa, McCaffery Address Contract Extension, Buyout

This was strong enough to totally change your opinion on Kirk, and you can't remember the specific question asked?
Not saying it didn't happen,
but usually the details of something with such impact don't get forgotten.
Couldn't have been the question that Rob asked him about DJK...could it?

It's good that the men's basketball program will have stability. Programs that replace their coaches every few years tend not to do as well. It has worked out well for football and women's basketball. With coaching stability the next 39 years of men's basketball can be as successful as the last 39 years of football, and 35 years of women's basketball have been.
Find a mediocre coach + throw obscene money at them = perpetual mediocrity. The Barta Formula.

Watching our basketball coaching staff at games, does anyone else notice how disinterested in the game they seem. They don't seem to really have a purpose out there. I think they're only there to keep Mac from running on the court. From the body language and staring at the floor and walls, I feel like they would prefer to be somewhere else. Oh well, as is often posted on this board "Contract Extensions for Everyone!" Hey, we're not in last place!

Well I guess now that we know it will cost the AD $10 million to terminate the contract, fire Fran polls are irrelevant. (How convenient) We got this coach for at least 4 years. Let's hope the HC can turn this around otherwise CHA is going to be ghost town.

How would you solve the question you put forward?

Which question? How much do you pay coaches? Pay by performance. Determine the average salary in a conference. Then determine the average win loss. Divide the amount of wins into the average salary and get average pay per win. Then pay per win per year.

For example let’s say the average B1G salary is three million a year and the average wins per team is six. This makes the average pay per win $500,000. At the end of the year take a coaches wins times the $500,000. This would be a huge motivator to be very successful. Ten wins is five million dollars. Twelve wins and a bowl win is 13 wins is six and a half million dollars. Three wins would be one and a half million dollars. Kirk wouldn’t be too far based on this scenario at $3,500,000. However this is based is a $3,000,000 average with a seven win average per conference.

Now if the average is $2,500,000 with a eight win average then that changes things quite a bit. In that case Kirk’s seven wins would only get him approximately $2,300,000 a year. The inverse is also true $3,500,000 divided by let’s say six wins would be nearly $4,200,000 for Kirk on a seven win season.

It would be interesting to figure out the actual numbers to see what the averages really are. It could be the Kirk’s salary is right in line. The same could be done in basketball also.

Now if you are referring to how do we get these public servants salarys up I guess it would taken a concerted and organized effort in the people of each community to put pressure on those who make those decisions. City boards, county boards, state boards. Organized protest at these type of events. This would mean that people would have to start recognizing and appreciating what these people public servants do for us and be willing to give up some personal time to organize and attend meeting in protest. First you have to sincerely care and there in lies the problem.

Georgia helps with housing for their police officers by offering financial aid toward the purchase of a home. They help them with paying down a portion of their down payment. I know this because when we moved last year from Georgia to Utah we sold our home to a sheriff’s deputy. I would be totally for a similar program for school teachers and nurses.

FWIW, The average annual salary for head coaches at major colleges (not including four schools that moved up to the Football Bowl Subdivision this season) is $1.64 million, up nearly 12% over last season — and more than 70% since 2006, when USA TODAY Sports began tracking coaches' compensation.

Last edited:
Watching our basketball coaching staff at games, does anyone else notice how disinterested in the game they seem. They don't seem to really have a purpose out there. I think they're only there to keep Mac from running on the court. From the body language and staring at the floor and walls, I feel like they would prefer to be somewhere else. Oh well, as is often posted on this board "Contract Extensions for Everyone!" Hey, we're not in last place!
I don't think it's dis-interest I think they can't believe that they can't get their coaching genius into the kids. Gosh I think it's called coaching. I don't think anyone is buying Fran's system and it may get worse with 2 sons on the team. Can you imagine Cook or JBo with Connor or Patrick in the room talking shit about the coaches? You KNOW that the McCaffrey boys are going to dish locker room talk. This is potentially a very very bad recruiting situation we are now facing. I don't believe Barta even thought of that issue. It's going to be a trust issue for a very long time.

Which question? How much do you pay coaches? Pay by performance. Determine the average salary in a conference. Then determine the average win loss. Divide the amount of wins into the average salary and get average pay per win. Then pay per win per year.

For example let’s say the average B1G salary is three million a year and the average wins per team is six. This makes the average pay per win $500,000. At the end of the year take a coaches wins times the $500,000. This would be a huge motivator to be very successful. Ten wins is five million dollars. Twelve wins and a bowl win is 13 wins is six and a half million dollars. Three wins would be one and a half million dollars. Kirk wouldn’t be too far based on this scenario at $3,500,000. However this is based is a $3,000,000 average with a seven win average per conference.

Now if the average is $2,500,000 with a eight win average then that changes things quite a bit. In that case Kirk’s seven wins would only get him approximately $2,300,000 a year. The inverse is also true $3,500,000 divided by let’s say six wins would be nearly $4,200,000 for Kirk on a seven win season.

It would be interesting to figure out the actual numbers to see what the averages really are. It could be the Kirk’s salary is right in line. The same could be done in basketball also.

Now if you are referring to how do we get these public servants salarys up I guess it would taken a concerted and organized effort in the people of each community to put pressure on those who make those decisions. City boards, county boards, state boards. Organized protest at these type of events. This would mean that people would have to start recognizing and appreciating what these people public servants do for us and be willing to give up some personal time to organize and attend meeting in protest. First you have to sincerely care and there in lies the problem.

Georgia helps with housing for their police officers by offering financial aid toward the purchase of a home. They help them with paying down a portion of their down payment. I know this because when we moved last year from Georgia to Utah we sold our home to a sheriff’s deputy. I would be totally for a similar program for school teachers and nurses.

FWIW, The average annual salary for head coaches at major colleges (not including four schools that moved up to the Football Bowl Subdivision this season) is $1.64 million, up nearly 12% over last season — and more than 70% since 2006, when USA TODAY Sports began tracking coaches' compensation.

I'd say that's a pretty darn good answer. Paying based on wins is a great way to do it.

As far as public servants go. I think paying teachers more money would be a good idea becasue you would probably get better people willing to go into that profession. Policemen and firemen don't really need more money becasue you have plenty of people lining up to do those jobs because that's their dream jobs.

Well I guess now that we know it will cost the AD $10 million to terminate the contract, fire Fran polls are irrelevant. (How convenient) We got this coach for at least 4 years. Let's hope the HC can turn this around otherwise CHA is going to be ghost town.
We are standing in the crater right now. It will get a little better each year until we get back to the 2nd round, get pummeled again and descend back to the crater. That is the expectation that Barta is trying to create. People will not pay for that because the game day experience at CHA is not close to what Kinnick used to be. CHA will slowly empty out.

Latest posts