Iowa, McCaffery Address Contract Extension, Buyout

So, basically nothing said about not announcing it. Shady AF!
Exactly... Again it shouldn't have been Fran having to answer that. To say he/they weren't hiding it is so disingenuous. Delaying the inevitable is more like it. If you know it's going to come out eventually then just announce it at the time and don't pull this shady stuff.

The only word that can be used to describe this whole situation is dishonest. It's all just dishonest. In other words, the University of Iowa doesn't want your damn opinion on anything other than continuing to funnel out that sweet, sweet ticket money. If you don't like it, stop buying tickets.

Multiple opportunities to leave?!? Lol. No one was gonna pay $2.3 Mil for .500 ball. Give me a frickin break.
Agreed. NOBODY was looking to hire McCaffery away from Iowa. Nobody that would be considered a lateral or better program. New Mexico probably called, looking for another one of our cast offs.

Last edited:
You can just sense the tension in those statements. They felt the heat this week and I don't think it is a coincidence we are finding out about this contract update now along with banning polls on message boards. They are in a damage control of sorts right now.

If you saw my paycheck, you'd understand.
Is that an admission that you just don't care that much? Its fine if you aren't getting paid (or paid very little from HN) or don't consider yourself "traditional media" but after barking at fans on this site the last two days about the media not being soft, this comment seem like kind of a bad look for you.

Is that an admission that you just don't care that much? Its fine if you aren't getting paid (or paid very little from HN) or don't consider yourself "traditional media" but after barking at fans on this site the last two days about the media not being soft, this comment seem like kind of a bad look for you.
I think you were fooled on the pitch. You were guessing at a fastball, and were way out ahead of the change up.

I think you're being a little overdramatic. I was making a joke.

This is my 21st year covering Iowa athletics and I'm proud of my body of work. I haven't been perfect, by any means. But, overall, I've done OK.

I haven't changed my opinion that calling the media soft is a weak narrative but I know I'm not going to change the minds of people like you. As I said, I will comment on the media bashing from time to time when so moved.

You can just sense the tension in those statements. They felt the heat this week and I don't think it is a coincidence we are finding out about this contract update now along with banning polls on message boards. They are in a damage control of sorts right now.
Are you being sarcastic? I really can't tell. To me the statement says, we did an extension, its commensurate with the market (which I don't agree with), move on. They didn't address why it was done under the cover of night (meaning no press release). They didn't address why they denied a media request and forced it into a FOIA request. They cherry picked the parts that it isn't out of line (again disagree) and that it shows faith in Fran and ignored the negative aspects and sounds like didn't take any questions related to it.

Any more questions why BARTA MUST GO! What an IDIOT. So during thee worst year of Fran's 8 years...hey I've got a neat idea lets extend him another 4! Someone go back and check but I believe I called this from outside Carver Hawkeye a couple weeks ago. This a FREAKING JOKE!

Pretty shameful that they sent Fran out to answer questions. This isn't on Fran, IMO. It's on Barta and the Iowa media, since both seem to care about doing the bare minimum to draw a paycheck.
I don’t blame the media in this case. There is really no way they could have possibly known a contract was signed behind closed doors. This thing is really unprecedented. You actually could give the media credit for requesting the information in this case which likely was done because of how bad we were playing. If they didn’t uncover this who knows when we would have found out!

Now the hope would be that the media continues to pressure Barta and the president to answer tough questions about the situation. Remains to be seen if that will happen. Unlikely.

Fran really has no blame here, if I were him I would have signed the contract too and there is really no reason for him to announce it if the athletic department hasn’t.

Latest posts