Iowa-ISU through eyes of Ben Bruns (former ISU Player)

My one and only personal interaction with Bruns was extremely disappointing. I was an ISU student when he was, and observed the 300 lb. Bruns in a campus cafeteria standing over another, much smaller (5 ft. 6-ish) ISU student who was wearing an Iowa football t-shirt. Bruns got up from his table across the room, walked over and stood over the student yelling, cursing and demanding that he take the Iowa shirt off right then and there. He kept shouting "THAT OFFENDS ME! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO OFFEND ME!"

I wasn't much bigger than the small "offender" in the Hawkeye shirt, but the fact that he was embarrassing this kid in front of the whole cafeteria irked me, so I told Bruns to sit down and shut up. He turned his attention to me, came over and stood over me, swore up and down, threatened to kick my *** and kill me, etc. I was expecting him to pick me up and throw me through the wall I was sitting next to, but with every eye in the caf on us, I couldn't cower to the bully. So I repeated myself. His threats got louder and a little more disturbing, but at this point I began to sense his bluff, so I kept telling him to sit down and shut his mouth, that nobody cared, etc. At this point, others nearby were beginning to chime in at him too, and eventually he walked away dejected, back to the table he'd been sitting at with (I'm assuming) his girlfriend at the time and another girl or two.

Suffice it to say that I don't have a ton of respect for Ben Bruns or his opinions, however insightful they may be.

"My trips to Iowa City are typically filled with back-handed compliments and a lot of icy receptions. And of course there will be plenty of Hawk fans who are just dying to tell you badly their team will beat ours. Just smile, nod and tell them how good they are. We’ll see what happens Saturday." -Ben Bruns

Good article. Interesting to get the opposition's take. The last paragraph is just kinda funny. So, Cyclone fans can't expect an entirely comfortable trip to kinnick, free of "back handed compliments" and "icy receptions"? They're not going to feel completely at home? They're not going to be able to isolate themselves from any form of smack talk before an in-state rivalry game? Shocker!

Nice article, and Bub...even as an ISU fan I find your account a bit disturbing. Hopefully he has grown up quite a bit since that time.

My one and only personal interaction with Bruns was extremely disappointing. I was an ISU student when he was, and observed the 300 lb. Bruns in a campus cafeteria standing over another, much smaller (5 ft. 6-ish) ISU student who was wearing an Iowa football t-shirt. Bruns got up from his table across the room, walked over and stood over the student yelling, cursing and demanding that he take the Iowa shirt off right then and there. He kept shouting "THAT OFFENDS ME! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO OFFEND ME!"

I wasn't much bigger than the small "offender" in the Hawkeye shirt, but the fact that he was embarrassing this kid in front of the whole cafeteria irked me, so I told Bruns to sit down and shut up. He turned his attention to me, came over and stood over me, swore up and down, threatened to kick my *** and kill me, etc. I was expecting him to pick me up and throw me through the wall I was sitting next to, but with every eye in the caf on us, I couldn't cower to the bully. So I repeated myself. His threats got louder and a little more disturbing, but at this point I began to sense his bluff, so I kept telling him to sit down and shut his mouth, that nobody cared, etc. At this point, others nearby were beginning to chime in at him too, and eventually he walked away dejected, back to the table he'd been sitting at with (I'm assuming) his girlfriend at the time and another girl or two.

Suffice it to say that I don't have a ton of respect for Ben Bruns or his opinions, however insightful they may be.

"My trips to Iowa City are typically filled with back-handed compliments and a lot of icy receptions. And of course there will be plenty of Hawk fans who are just dying to tell you badly their team will beat ours. Just smile, nod and tell them how good they are. We’ll see what happens Saturday." -Ben Bruns

great story and good for you! too many people are bullies, and far too many athletes have an attitude of holier than thou! thanks for sticking up for the little guy!

wow, sounds like a great guy

bub great post what a ahole

my sister was yelled at in a bar for wearing a iowa shirt and threatened her by saying im a bball player and i can get you kicked out of this bar anytime..she didn't know who he was but my guess is a nobody since her friends didn't know who he was

Sometimes I get the feeling some Cyclone fans take even genuine compliments as backhanded compliments when coming from us Iowa fans. Us, more mature, much wiser, Iowa fans.

Yeah he would talk smack about Aaron Kampman and how he would put "grass stains on his @ss" and how he was tougher than him. Well look who's an oline coach at a high school and who's an all-pro - funny how things work out...

Let's go ahead and call BS on this

Yeah he would talk smack about Aaron Kampman and how he would put "grass stains on his @ss" and how he was tougher than him. Well look who's an oline coach at a high school and who's an all-pro - funny how things work out...

Bruns was an All American so let's not act like he was no good

This doesn't surprise me, I have Cyclone friends that work in Des Moines with him and I hear about what an A-hole the guy can be. The guy does know his football though, I will give him that.

I did enjoy his analysis, as well. It's just hilarious how he almost contained his emotions through the whole thing, then- NOPE! Just couldn't help himself! Had to throw in the last paragraph and vent some of that lunchroom anger.

I did enjoy his analysis, as well. It's just hilarious how he almost contained his emotions through the whole thing, then- NOPE! Just couldn't help himself! Had to throw in the last paragraph and vent some of that lunchroom anger.

exactly.

but let's call B.S. on it since he was a clown. couldn't have happened.

Latest posts