Iowa-ISU through eyes of Ben Bruns (former ISU Player)

The guy DOESN'T know his football. This is the same a$$-clown who claimed the 2002 Iowa O-line was AVERAGE. Well, all 5 of the starters on that line, plus the backup were either drafted or got NFL invites. 2 of them are still playing and making millions of dollars while Ben is a sideline reporter for the worst team in the Big 12 and coaching high school on the side. So if they were average, what does that make him??

The difference between a guy like Bruns and a guy like Podolak is that while they both are hardcore loyalists and fans of their alma maters, Podolak, being the consumate professional, can be critical of his own team and give the other team praise when it is warranted. Bruns is a homer of the worst kind.

I have to laugh when hes referred to as a former All American. It wasnt ESPN, Kodak or anyone like that. IIRC it was a small paper out west some where. Ive never heard of an "all american" not getting invited to a single NFL camp.

He did talk smack about Kampman but to his credit, he did show up on HR once and explain and kinda apologize for his comments.

I haven't heard of many D1 athletes where nobody thought they were a jerk or an A-hole or something.

Stanzi has been a ******** to me, unprovoked. Still like him, though. Hell, one of my best friends is the biggest ******* I know.... If I were a D1 athlete I would be cocky and arrogant too.

To be fair...every team has a few overbearing jerks on it. Iowa, after all, had Matt Roth...Mr. hit the quarterback 5 seconds after the play is over. So while I certainly hate the behavior of Bruns in the post above...its hardly unique amongst college athletes.

I wouldn't. Unless someone else there was able to provide evidence that this didn't happen, I would believe him. Just cause he's a hawkeye fan doesn't mean he's a liar.....

Agreed.

But a Hawkeye fan who went to ISU, happened to graduate along with Ben, and was quick to comment on this thread seems like a pretty big coincidence to me. I'm still calling bs

To be fair...every team has a few overbearing jerks on it. Iowa, after all, had Matt Roth...Mr. hit the quarterback 5 seconds after the play is over. So while I certainly hate the behavior of Bruns in the post above...its hardly unique amongst college athletes.

you are equivocating a late hit penalty with being a lunchroom bully?

Why do you call BS? Seems to me that there are more than a couple of people who have had issues with the guy. And to even put him in the same breath as Kampman is criminal. Kampman was a All Pro and multi Pro Bowler. Mr Bruns not so much.

I'm equating the attitude, yes. There's a late hit...and there's "the play is over, everybody is walking around...and THEN you level a guy". It was more between plays...than late.

"But I soon came to learn that Hayden Fry built the Iowa program around the in-state rivalry and you can rest assured that little has changed."

I'm pretty sure KF isn't building a top 10 program, recruiting 3 and 4 (and hopefully 5) star athletes, and winning Big Ten Titles off of one of the worst teams in the Big 12.

"but the reality is that [Iowa-ISU] rivalry may be even more important to Iowa"

Wrong. This Iowa fan would love to end this stupid series.

Some good stuff in this item from Bruns...technical football stuff, which I love to read

Bruns: Inside the game | Cyclone Fanatic

Except for the final paragraph, a good offering ;)

Despite what Bruns says, I'm guessing that nobody outside of members of the media has any idea who he is.

I still remember him at halftime last year, blathering on and on about how ISU was dominating, but never once mentioning what the score of the game was.

Agreed.

But a Hawkeye fan who went to ISU, happened to graduate along with Ben, and was quick to comment on this thread seems like a pretty big coincidence to me. I'm still calling bs

Not saying it did or did not happen...but there are more than 100,000 Iowa fans that visit this site from around the world each month. Pretty big pool for the timing, at least, to not be a lotto odd

Despite what Bruns says, I'm guessing that nobody outside of members of the media has any idea who he is.

I still remember him at halftime last year, blathering on and on about how ISU was dominating, but never once mentioning what the score of the game was.

Iowa State was outplaying Iowa at the break last year. Heck, they had 190 rushing yards in that game. Turnovers killed them.

Iowa State was outplaying Iowa at the break last year. Heck, they had 190 rushing yards in that game. Turnovers killed them.

Never said they didn't, and that ISU wasn't. Arnaud killed them that game, and Iowa took advantage. Last I checked, turnovers were part of the deal. Bruns failed to mention that. The guy is just as big a homer as Hawk Harrelson.

Latest posts