Iowa @ Iowa State (Basketball)

Prior to the season I thought the game at Hilton would be a toss up. Mostly because I thought the Hawks would be the better team and give the Hilton Majic edge to the clones and call it fairly even.

At this point, I anticipate being dogs heading into the game and admit ISU is a much better team than I thought they would be with so many new comers. Their one glaring weakness as others have mentioned is depth so they will need to stay healthy.

For fun... what do you think the spread will be for the big game?

I say Clones favored by 5.

Prior to the season I thought the game at Hilton would be a toss up. Mostly because I thought the Hawks would be the better team and give the Hilton Majic edge to the clones and call it fairly even.

At this point, I anticipate being dogs heading into the game and admit ISU is a much better team than I thought they would be with so many new comers. Their one glaring weakness as others have mentioned is depth so they will need to stay healthy.

For fun... what do you think the spread will be for the big game?

I say Clones favored by 5.

Right now looking at what BYU was favored by last night I would say ISU would be favored by a similar number around 7.5.

If Iowa were to win the Bahamas Tourney, probably goes close to a pick em..

Right now looking at what BYU was favored by last night I would say ISU would be favored by a similar number around 7.5.

ISU will be favored no matter what, it's at Hilton. I'll say ISU -4, I think Iowa would be favored on a neutral site.

I will say ISU will be favored by 5 just sounds right and I am not a gambler so I don't know much about what common spreads are for two power conference teams playing a rivaly game.

I think that ISU offense is pretty interesting. They get really good spacing when they isolate Niang. I was surprised that BYU didn't sag off more and pack the lane. They were getting killed on Niang in isolation and I would have given up a three point shot it's not like ISU was lights out.

I would think with Iowa's lenght they should do a better job of not allowing so much isolation for Niang.

I will say ISU will be favored by 5 just sounds right and I am not a gambler so I don't know much about what common spreads are for two power conference teams playing a rivaly game.

I think that ISU offense is pretty interesting. They get really good spacing when they isolate Niang. I was surprised that BYU didn't sag off more and pack the lane. They were getting killed on Niang in isolation and I would have given up a three point shot it's not like ISU was lights out.

I would think with Iowa's lenght they should do a better job of not allowing so much isolation for Niang.

Iowa putting someone really quick on Niang seems to give him the most trouble. Tall and unable to guard on the outside is really the matchup ISU wants on him. If I was Iowa, putting an athletic guy like Basabe would be ideal. He is big, strong and athletic. Im not sure if Gabe or Adam have the footwork to guard him on the perimeter.

If the game were this Friday I would say ISU by 3.5. There's no way to guess with so many games to be played. If both teams are undefeated I think it will be Iowa by 1.5.

Iowa could be undefeated coming into the game and they wouldn't have a chance at being favored unless ISUs play digresses a lot. If Michigan wasn't favored Iowa sure as heck won't be. They have struggled to be competitive in their last two appearances in Hilton. This year I really don't think it's going to be much different. I don't think they will get blown out in the first half like they have the previous two meetings in Hilton but I really don't see them being in any sort of position to have a chance to win the game in the final 4 minutes.

Iowa could be undefeated coming into the game and they wouldn't have a chance at being favored unless ISUs play digresses a lot. If Michigan wasn't favored Iowa sure as heck won't be. They have struggled to be competitive in their last two appearances in Hilton. This year I really don't think it's going to be much different. I don't think they will get blown out in the first half like they have the previous two meetings in Hilton but I really don't see them being in any sort of position to have a chance to win the game in the final 4 minutes.

Blah Blah Blah, we all heard last year how ISU was going to roll into Carver and destroy Iowa, how did that work out?

Blah Blah Blah, we all heard last year how ISU was going to roll into Carver and destroy Iowa, how did that work out?

The resident Broncos / Hockey / Tree Care expert on KXNO referenced that yesterday. Apparently, they were the better team, but historically don't do play as well in October / November. I'm glad he cleared that up for me. ******* *******.

Give me an honest explanation of this, as I'd really like to see the reasoning behind it. You really believe with confidence that if Iowa rolls into Ames at 9-0, with wins over Xavier, Tennessee, Kansas (all three on a neutral court), and Notre Dame, they would be a decided underdog without a doubt? For your information, Cy opened as a 2 point dog against Michigan. (I'd also like to ask how losing by 10 is struggling to be competitive, and thus, why you are so confident in your team that struggled to be competitive against Iowa last year)

Iowa State ended up a one point favorite over michigan. They ended up 5.5 dog to byu. Homecourt advantage is huge in CBB.

Iowa could be undefeated coming into the game and they wouldn't have a chance at being favored unless ISUs play digresses a lot.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Do you realize that acknowledging Iowa will be favored doesn't mean you are saying Iowa will win? Have you ever bet on any kind of sporting event in Vegas? I can virtually guarantee Iowa will be favored if they are undefeated. I predicted that ISU would be favored if the game were this Friday. I also have predicted that Iowa will win by 9. My opinion hasn't changed. See how that works...I'm picking Iowa but acknowledging that they wouldn't be favored if the game were played tomorrow.

People, please remember that the Vegas betting line has NOTHING to do with who is the better team. It has EVERYTHING to do with ensuring that Vegas makes money. If Kentucky were playing Maryland-ES, Vegas would give 40 points to MES hoping to get people to bet on them. The more money that would go on Kentucky, the more points MES would get. Looking at the KenPom ratings is more indicative of final sores and outcomes than the Vegas odds makers.

Just my 2¢ .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

You have no idea what you're talking about. Do you realize that acknowledging Iowa will be favored doesn't mean you are saying Iowa will win? Have you ever bet on any kind of sporting event in Vegas? I can virtually guarantee Iowa will be favored if they are undefeated. I predicted that ISU would be favored if the game were this Friday. I also have predicted that Iowa will win by 9. My opinion hasn't changed. See how that works...I'm picking Iowa but acknowledging that they wouldn't be favored if the game were played tomorrow.

As you suggest Vegas puts out the number to try to avoid having it bet heavily on 1 side or another .
They also factor in things like home court, does the home team have a strong home court record? They will look at Iowa's road record from last year to see how they performed. They will take into account it will be Iowa's first true road game of the year.

Understand if they get to the final's of the Bahamas tourney they will hear a lot of Kansas fans Though normally these preseason tourney's for the most part, are pretty low key in terms of fan support.

If both come in undefeated, they will both be ranked rather highly if not simply for the fact that other teams in the rankings lost and both teams moved up.

Taking all these into account, ISU would probably be favor by 3 or 4 maybe a little less. Mostly because of that Iowa not playing a true road game and the strong home record. I also looked at that Michigan game and to see how the line swung on that thing tells me the gambling community puts a great emphasis on how Iowa State plays at home.

Anyway putting the cart before the horse here. We think ISU is pretty good, but teams like UNI give them headaches. We think Iowa is pretty good, but their first real test of the year is a tough one against Xavier.

Just hoping everyone stays healthy and are available when they finally tip it off in a few weeks.

As you suggest Vegas puts out the number to try to avoid having it bet heavily on 1 side or another .
They also factor in things like home court, does the home team have a strong home court record? They will look at Iowa's road record from last year to see how they performed. They will take into account it will be Iowa's first true road game of the year.

Understand if they get to the final's of the Bahamas tourney they will hear a lot of Kansas fans Though normally these preseason tourney's for the most part, are pretty low key in terms of fan support.

If both come in undefeated, they will both be ranked rather highly if not simply for the fact that other teams in the rankings lost and both teams moved up.

Taking all these into account, ISU would probably be favor by 3 or 4 maybe a little less. Mostly because of that Iowa not playing a true road game and the strong home record. I also looked at that Michigan game and to see how the line swung on that thing tells me the gambling community puts a great emphasis on how Iowa State plays at home.

Anyway putting the cart before the horse here. We think ISU is pretty good, but teams like UNI give them headaches. We think Iowa is pretty good, but their first real test of the year is a tough one against Xavier.

Just hoping everyone stays healthy and are available when they finally tip it off in a few weeks.

Are you sure it wasn't because a lot of people thought Michigan was overrated?

Latest posts