Iowa @ Iowa State (Basketball)

Where does it say no talent?

To answer your question, your exact quote was "It's a fact that he is not talented or [good] enough to play much on a tournament team."

To say someone "is not talented" is the same as saying he/she "has no talent".

Just my 2¢ .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

Edit:
Of course .. I probably shouldn't say exact quote as I corrected your spelling error. Who knows .. you might have meant 'gooey' enough .. ..

Last edited:
To answer your question, your exact quote was "It's a fact that he is not talented or [good] enough to play much on a tournament team."

To say someone "is not talented" is the same as saying he/she "has no talent".

Just my 2¢ .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

Edit:
Of course .. I probably shouldn't say exact quote as I corrected your spelling error. Who knows .. you might have meant 'gooey' enough .. ..

To be fair, I read that as "he's not talented enough to play big minutes on a tourney team". That's not an unfair assessment, IMO, and that's why I instead went after his point that we would have been better off if McCabe had transferred.

To be fair, I read that as "he's not talented enough to play big minutes on a tourney team". That's not an unfair assessment, IMO, and that's why I instead went after his point that we would have been better off if McCabe had transferred.

I don't agree, but for Iowa I do. Iowa has recruited over McCabe, but more so I think Zach took a step back last year.

I attended the Iowa-Iowa State game last year at Carver. Iowa matched up very well with the Clones, and played with more emotion and much more intensity. Iowa State came out flat and a little over-confident, in my opinion, and got thumped pretty good.

It is tough to win in Hilton, but I don't see Iowa getting blown out this year. There is too much talent on the Iowa squad now. I think ISU wins in a very tough, competitive game.

^^^^^^^^^^^

I can see this trend continuing as ISU pretty much has no Iowa natives on their roster. Kids coming from out of state maybe don't put the emphasis on the rivalry that in-state kids do.

Hawks have Oglesby, Jok, Uthoff, Woodbury and McCabe on the team from Iowa.

The Clones have Bubu and is that it?

I don't agree, but for Iowa I do. Iowa has recruited over McCabe, but more so I think Zach took a step back last year.

I just think he's not a starting-caliber player for a Power 6 tourney team. He'd be a very good starter for a lot of mid-majors that'd make the Dance, but in a conference like the Big Ten, he needs to be a role player if the team is truly tourney-worthy, IMO. He's in the right role for him and for the team.

Saying a guy is not talented enough and should have transferred is pretty much saying McCabe doesn't have tablet, of with all analysis from simpleton Dave is all I need to make my assessment how much talent he feels McCabe has.

Also with Fran's willingness to stick with his bench when we as fans sometimes cringe, McCabe is an important piece of that. Fran had a short leash with him last year and justifiably so, but being a key bench/role player is a lot different than saying a guy isn't talented enough and should transfer are pretty much on total opposite ends of the spectrum.

I love McCabe. He's been quoted more than once as saying he hates to lose. He didn't complain about playing out of position. He didn't complain about his reduced role last season. When things start getting real physical he starts having fun...necessary mindset in the Big 10.

He's trying to lose weight and become a better perimeter player heading into the upcoming season. I highly doubt he will complain about his role or playing time. I think he will be as happy as any player on the team when we are winning consistently this upcoming season. I'm pretty sure he will make plays/shots in various games this year which make it obvious we probably would have lost without his minutes/contributions in said games.

I don't understand this entire discussion on Iowa vs. mid-major. He's a Hawk. He's helped us win in the past and he will help us win in the future. I'm glad he came to Iowa and I'm glad he's still at Iowa.

That's all!

^^^^^^^^^^^

I can see this trend continuing as ISU pretty much has no Iowa natives on their roster. Kids coming from out of state maybe don't put the emphasis on the rivalry that in-state kids do.

Hawks have Oglesby, Jok, Uthoff, Woodbury and McCabe on the team from Iowa.

The Clones have Bubu and is that it?

Yep, just bubu, zero next year as well.

...I don't understand this entire discussion on Iowa vs. mid-major. He's a Hawk. He's helped us win in the past and he will help us win in the future. I'm glad he came to Iowa and I'm glad he's still at Iowa...

I agree with this. All championship caliber teams have a player or two that, had they gone to a mid-major, would have started for that team. But they chose to go to an institution where they would be challenged, knowing full well that they wouldn't be playing much.

Zach is a talented role player. His playing time may be limited because Fran has recruited over him. But that doesn't mean he isn't of value to the team. He's been in the system for 3 years and knows what is expected of him. He'll have a positive impact on more than a few games down the stretch.

Just my 2¢ .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

It's safe to say that if there is a transfer that the odds are slim that he's a native iowan.

No basis for this, but hypothetical only here, if Seth Tuttle were to want to transfer you don't think Hoiturd would welcome him?

Honestly, I was hoping Iowa would go after him, but hey he is at UNI and is a very good player.

Back to topic here; I think Iowa wins, but by less than 10, that said I think Iowa will control from start to finish, but ISU has some good runs and makes it interesting.

No basis for this, but hypothetical only here, if Seth Tuttle were to want to transfer you don't think Hoiturd would welcome him?

Honestly, I was hoping Iowa would go after him, but hey he is at UNI and is a very good player.

Maybe. But there is zero evidence Tuttle wants to transfer. I assume we'd take Jok and woody too but they are only slightly less likely.

Maybe. But there is zero evidence Tuttle wants to transfer. I assume we'd take Jok and woody too but they are only slightly less likely.

Iowa state only home loss last year was to Kansas. I think Iowa will beat them by twenty to twenty five points.

I'd be willing to bet that Iowa and ISU would be on the restricted list so the point is moot.

Latest posts