Iowa @ Iowa State (Basketball)

It is the pure definition of bashing...you say he should have transferred and isn't talented.

You state your pure opinion with citing nothing about his skills. It is one thing to talk about his skills, but another to say he should have transferred and isn't talented.

I'm not trying to bash anyone here, but David79 is a ****** poster and the board would be better if he left. But again, I'm not trying to bash anyone here. Just the truth.

And blocking fouls lol, either way you know its gonna be a collision.

I am glad for what Zach provided to the hawks, and I think he will provide some more key moments this year even if he doesn't see much time.

Still, can't help but wonder what he would have been able to do at QB for the Hawks.

As a freshman he committed blocking and over-the-back fouls like crazy, but as he's matured he has become much better at positioning and gotten a lot more respect from the refs. Seems like now he picks up at least 3-4 charges to every blocking foul.

It's not bashing. It's a fact that he is not talented or goo enough to play much on a tournament team. He seems like a great kid but if transferred away early and they picked up someone who could help them be better faster I would have no problem with it. I bet he plays even less this year with Gabe continuing to improve and the addition of Uthoff
OMG!! I'm not sure how much more wrong, imho, you could be. What he lacks is height to play the position(s) he is best suited for. But he has talent and knows his role.

When Fran got to Iowa, he had very limited options. Zach provided a good athlete who could play a solid role on a team otherwise devoid of talent. Is his basketball IQ up there with RDM or Woody or Gesell or Whitey? No, but that doesn't mean he's not valuable to the team.

Now, Fran has been able to recruit better basketball players. Zach's minutes are going to go down, but he is still a solid bench player. I don't think he will be the same kind of player Eric May turned into last year, but he'll provide valuable minutes off the bench.

The only thing I agree with in this post is that he will play far less with the improvement of Gabe and addition of Uthoff. That much is true. If Zach averages anywhere near 10 minutes a game, the Hawks are in trouble because it'll be because of injuries. Then again, maybe he will pull a May and improve his game to the point that you can't keep him off the court. But I doubt that happens.

Just my 2¢ .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

You guys are really sensitive. You would think I was calling McCabe a murderer not just saying he is more of a Mo Valley player.

You guys are really sensitive. You would think I was calling McCabe a murderer not just saying he is more of a Mo Valley player.

If you post nonsense on here you will get called on it...hammered pretty hard most of the time. Those of us that know something about college basketball and the Hawks in particular just won't let it slide. Get it right and you won't have any problems. Now you have to really wow us to regain some level of respect.

You guys are really sensitive.

Nah, people just dont like to see an Iowa kid get ripped on. Especially one who has busted his tail for his entire career. One who has played out of position for the sake of the team. One who has been a valued part of the turnaround of the basketball program we are witnessing. One who is willing to do a lot of the "dirty work" that some players wont do.

We arent sensitive, you're just an idiot.

He's a Mo Valley caliber player in the sense that he'd have done very, very well at those schools. But he's a pretty solid Big Ten role player. Asking him to start and be a primary contributor in the Big Ten is not fair to him. But he's the perfect guy to come off the bench to do the dirty work and occasionally give you a really good scoring night. Most teams need a guy like that.

That isn't what you said. You said he has no talent and isn't good...pure opinion with nothing, but opinion to back it.

Speak about skills.

Posting narrow-minded ignorant opinion will get called...I have experience.

I would agree with him being more of a mo valley type player but thats not what you said, you said he should have been asked to leave.

Which as I pointed out is crazy because Iowa was so bad he was actually one of the better players on the team at the time and he had a much greater impact than any of the Lick holdover big men even though he was put in a crappy position being asked to play center.

Zach can play the 4 spot in the big ten. Unfortunately hes behind two guys who are better and hes done what it takes to help the team at the 5 and 3 even though he isn't ideally suited for those spots.

If you post nonsense on here you will get called on it...hammered pretty hard most of the time. Those of us that know something about college basketball and the Hawks in particular just won't let it slide. Get it right and you won't have any problems. Now you have to really wow us to regain some level of respect.

That's pretty funny

That isn't what you said. You said he has no talent and isn't good...pure opinion with nothing, but opinion to back it.

Speak about skills.

Posting narrow-minded ignorant opinion will get called...I have experience.

I didn't say he should be asked to leave. And I didn't say he had no talent.

Nah, people just dont like to see an Iowa kid get ripped on. Especially one who has busted his tail for his entire career. One who has played out of position for the sake of the team. One who has been a valued part of the turnaround of the basketball program we are witnessing. One who is willing to do a lot of the "dirty work" that some players wont do.

We arent sensitive, you're just an idiot.

Name calling = sensitive

I didn't say he should be asked to leave. And I didn't say he had no talent.

You said Iowa would have been better off if he'd transferred. Hawkfan33 best dismissed that notion. Zach's minutes HAVE decreased as the team has gotten better each year. Which, according to your logic, is a good thing (I won't disagree on that point. The less he plays, the better because it means we're continuing to get better.).

But Iowa, in no way shape or form, would have been better off if he'd transferred. He's had a role in the team getting better each year, and that may not have happened without his contributions. He's not unlike Cole in that respect. We will have better big men than Cole in the coming years, but I'll be damned if he didn't play a very big role in laying the foundation for the future. We wouldn't have been better off without him, either.

We might not be in the position to say McCabe (or any similar player) is disposable if it weren't for him sticking around and helping the team improve.

You said Iowa would have been better off if he'd transferred. Hawkfan33 best dismissed that notion. Zach's minutes HAVE decreased as the team has gotten better each year. Which, according to your logic, is a good thing (I won't disagree on that point. The less he plays, the better because it means we're continuing to get better.)
But Iowa, in no way shape or form, would have been better off if he'd transferred. He's had a role in the team getting better each year, and that may not have happened without his contributions. He's not unlike Cole in that respect. We will have better big men than Cole in the coming years, but I'll be damned if he didn't play a very big role in laying the foundation for the future. We wouldn't have been better off without him, either.

We might not be in the position to say McCabe (or any similar player) is disposable if it weren't for him sticking around and helping the team improve.

^^^ THIS ^^^

GO HAWKS!!!

McCabe is gonna be a key guy this year...just watch.

I think having him trim down a little and play strictly 3-4 will help him a lot. He's going to be a liability (to some degree) on defense, regardless of his position. But he can do more offensively if he's allowed to focus more on his outside shooting than having to bang down low.

McCabe is gonna be a key guy this year...just watch.

I hope he is. I thought May would be key his SR year, and he was, especially when MG got hurt. For some reason I just don't see the same from McCabe though. I think it has more to do with the guys in front of him. We needed May last year, but this year McCabe has Basabe, White, Uthoff in front of him. He will get minutes, but I would bet it is even less MPG than last year.

Just an opinion, and I certainly could be wrong. He will be a key contributor, but it will be with less minutes than last year I think.

It's not bashing. It's a fact that he is not talented or goo enough to play much on a tournament team. He seems like a great kid but if transferred away early and they picked up someone who could help them be better faster I would have no problem with it. I bet he plays even less this year with Gabe continuing to improve and the addition of Uthoff

Your words brother

I like McCabe. He rebounds well with hard work to get good position. He plays good defense and he can shoot from outside. That said, if he was a starter on our team, we aren't an NCAA tourney team, IMO. He is the type of reserve that is essential to any team that wants to make a decent tourney run, for the reasons I stated. I don't think Dave79 was being overly harsh. He just didn't use much tact.

Latest posts