Iowa Extends Contract of Fran McCaffery

Okay so anytime a team happens to reach a top 5 ranking they should just immediately extend their coach without taking anything else into consideration?

Look, we clearly disagree, so it's probably silly for us to continue arguing, and I like you as a poster, so let's just agree to disagree.
First time with a top 5 ranking in March since either the 50s or never. Can't remember.

This is where Fran started...I had season tickets as a student but could almost sit courtside. I watched Evan turner laugh as he was being maned up with Little Lick. This clip was of the game at OSU but it does the job.

Give the man his $$

So that means you are saying he deserves an extension and a raise no matter what, but you think they could have offered less money and less years if he flamed out early? I get that line of thinking, bit it's not like Barta treated him like Kirk and made him one of the top paid coaches in the nation. I'd say they gave him pretty much the bare minimum for what a coach deserves after these last two seasons. They will be paying him just right if they get upset early (again anything can happen in one game). But boy will they be getting off cheap if the hawks do something special. Waiting was only going to cost Iowa money in my opinion.

No, that's not what I said or "what I'm saying".

There are so many false assumptions in there I wouldn't know where to start.
What am I assuming? There isn’t a lot to chew on there. Iowa was going to extend him regardless. They couldnt just let it ride, that’s not how it works with recruiting. They are in a better position now then almost every scenario our future could hold. If he bows out early, the extension is still on, probably in the amount of dollars and years the school is comfortable with now. Fran’s doing them a solid. If they wait, and suddenly Fran is in the Elite 8 and other jobs are open like, Notre Dame or maybe Pitt and things are different. Maybe Connor does do baseball, Fran goes to ND and takes Pat with him. Not an unheard of scenario. Fran has moved on a lot and I mean a lot. He’s not tied here. I think he likes it here, I think he’d like it other places too. If your Iowa, why not show him you’re happy he’s here. You like winning and playing basketball in the NCAA tournament all the time. I’m happy with what Fran has done at Iowa and that is create a fun and winning program that isn’t necessarily a lock to be that without him.

Just read this whole thread and people are finally saying what I was thinking the whole time. Fran is getting an extension based on having the best regular season in decades right after having a really good season last year (projected 5 seed which ranks up there pretty damn high in hawkeye history). He was getting this extension even if he flames out Saturday because everyone but a handful of fans knows that how you do over an entire season matters way more for determining a coaches worth than the randomness of one game. The only thing Fran could do over the course of this tournament is improve his stock. That means Barta was smart to lock him into the cheapest possible extension.
It’s what I’ve been saying since the start. Iowa won, they were giving it to him anyways. Now, ya don’t worry about other schools, and ya don’t worry about him jacking it up when he’s a hot name with other schools, who without a doubt would look at Fran if he went on a run.

The Garza thing is the only reason we even are talking about this. Take away his 25 or whatever points a game and replace them with a normal 12-15 pts a game and we aren't even talking about the NIT.

You're looking at this in the wrong way...you have a chicken/egg problem. You want long-term success in a sport that is 90% driven by recruiting. We do not get top recruits here and we aren't ever going to. until freshman and sophomores leaving early for the NBA stop being a thing in college basketball, Iowa is going to stay where we are. Top half of the B1G most years and an occasional tournament.

Finding Luka Garza was like Fran winning the lottery in 8 states on the same day and being struck by lightning a dozen times. And all of a sudden with one good year you guys are expecting a new level of play coming from Iowa when none of the recruiting constraints has changed. And to be honest they won't change after Garza either. He's a likely G-League first, Euro second guy and those don't win you top recruits. Cockburn was the size of the guys he'd play every single day in the NBA only way better, and Garza got totally manhandled.

Bottom line, until Iowa doesn't have to take the leftovers from the recruiting table after the Dukes, Michigans, Kentuckys, and Gonzagas of the world are finished, we ain't going anywhere.

And it sure as hell isn't Fran's fault.
Taking away Garza's points and replacing them with less points from the replacement player is not how that math works. You have to compare the amount of shots Garza took and how efficiently he scored his points on those shots with the same number of shots by random players if he isn't shooting, someone else will be) and the efficiency they scored on those shots.

The difference in those numbers would be less than you would think. A guy that scores as efficiently as Garza is great for margin of error, but a good portion of his scoring will be replaced. Just a little less efficently. We are easily a tournament team without Garza this year. Or at least would have been projected as easily in before Nunge went down.

But truthfully, now that I think about it, you don't just take national player of the year Garza off your team because Fran didn't get lucky signing him, he got lucky with how good he got. So what you do is replace national player of the year Garza with just your ordinary run of the mill 1st or 2nd team all conference Garza. No one would think Fran was lucky and we would probably have one or two more losses since most of our wins were blowouts anyway.

It should certainly be part of the equation...which is why you wait. Imagine that, seeing how a guy performs on the biggest stage before deciding whether and/or how much of a raise to give him? As Fran himself said... "Body of work". I'd suggest one of the most import parts of that "body of work" would be playoff performance. Some would say it's the most important.

If Fran takes IOWA deep in the tourney, you've got a strong case for extending him and should do it. If he doesn't...now you've pissed down your leg and once again look like an idiot. So you let it play out.

Barta...is a lousy poker player.
No, you are

Iowa earned a two seed in the ncaa tournament. That matched the highest seed in the history of the program. That happened one other time, in 1987.

It reflects on a full regular season, one which took place during a pandemic in a Big Ten conference ranked among the best in decades per metrics. It represented a heck of a season.

A chance to make an NCAA run last season with a consensus all-American was wiped out a year after the Hawkeyes just missed the Sweet 16.
I sure hope we make a good run in the tournament. It would be a major disappointment if we fall flat on our face and don’t get past the second round. No conference championship, not even a semi final round in BTT, and then to get beat in the second round would be unbearable. Get to elite eight and now your talking accomplishment.

If we lose opening round I will be disappointed just like I am when someone hits a 2 outer on the river. If we lose 2nd round I will be disappointed just like I am when someone hits their flush draw against my set. But in both cases I will know we got a little unlucky after making the right play. The right play being building a resume for a 2 seed over the course of an entire season. All you can do is make the right play as often as possible. Once all the chips are in ( the tournament starts) its pretty much luck from there. The main thing is its a lot harder to get unlucky against a 15 seed than it is a 7 or 10 seed. But it can still happen.

I sure hope we make a good run in the tournament. It would be a major disappointment if we fall flat on our face and don’t get past the second round. No conference championship, not even a semi final round in BTT, and then to get beat in the second round would be unbearable. Get to elite eight and now your talking accomplishment.
How often do 2 seeds lose second round? We will definitely have a big advantage, but I don't think losing in that position qualifies as "falling flat on your face". Think about it, 5th-8th ranked teams lose to 25th-30th ranked teams all the time.

This is Mr. Davis in 9 out of 13 years:
9 NCAAs in 13 years
1 Elite 8 (he had another at Boston College)
2 Sweet 16s
Never lost a first round game

He was let go in year 13.

Fran is about to have his 6th NCAA appearance in 11 years (one of those was a play-in game). He is 3-0 in first round games. 0-1 in the play-in game. One year lost because of covid.

Fran has seven more years on this contract. So, he will be at Iowa for 18 years if he stays until the end of it.

This is how it sits pre Grand Canyon game. Better than Lickliter by far, but what an extension compared to the last good coach at Iowa. Yes, he did have a big rebuilding job, but hopefully he adds what is missing to his resume in this tourney.
Gotta admit that was a very fair assessment.

Taking away Garza's points and replacing them with less points from the replacement player is not how that math works. You have to compare the amount of shots Garza took and how efficiently he scored his points on those shots with the same number of shots by random players if he isn't shooting, someone else will be) and the efficiency they scored on those shots.

The difference in those numbers would be less than you would think. A guy that scores as efficiently as Garza is great for margin of error, but a good portion of his scoring will be replaced. Just a little less efficently. We are easily a tournament team without Garza this year. Or at least would have been projected as easily in before Nunge went down.

But truthfully, now that I think about it, you don't just take national player of the year Garza off your team because Fran didn't get lucky signing him, he got lucky with how good he got. So what you do is replace national player of the year Garza with just your ordinary run of the mill 1st or 2nd team all conference Garza. No one would think Fran was lucky and we would probably have one or two more losses since most of our wins were blowouts anyway.
Nope. Doesn’t work that way. You’re saying with a lot of words that essentially his 24 pts a game would be replaced by other players. If that were the case we’d be in this #5-ish spot every year (assuming the same lineup minus Garza).

You talk about “math” not working, then let’s see you take Garza’s WS and WS/40 and make the “math” work out to the same Iowa wins...

It doesn’t, FYI. I’ll save you the trouble.

Even if you want to use the “efficiency” metric you’re talking about, replace Garza with someone else’s effective FG percentage and see if Iowa still scores enough to win the same number of ballgames. It’s pretty simple...you can’t replace his win shares unless you have someone as skillled coming up the pike...and we both know there’s no Garza waiting in the wings.

You completely underestimate the impact Luka has on this team and that’s not hyperbole. Even with Murray taking up some of the scoring slack, you’re going to get a rude awakening next year when that piece is missing.

How often do 2 seeds lose second round? We will definitely have a big advantage, but I don't think losing in that position qualifies as "falling flat on your face". Think about it, 5th-8th ranked teams lose to 25th-30th ranked teams all the time.
All time leading scorer in school history, all time leading assist leader in school history, all time leading three point shots made in school history, Two starters that many experts project to go to NBA, the team represents a conference deemed by almost all experts as the best in the country and one of the strongest top to bottom with NINE teams in the NCAA tournament.

Yes, flat on your face if you lose in the second round.

It would be flat on our face to not make the 2nd round, ya still gotta up Fran’s deal dumb dumbs, ya can’t fire him, he’s too good. Ya can’t leave him out to dry, he will find a different spot and the school and program will suffer because of it. Fran holds the cards, he’s doing Iowa solid getting it out of the way now. I bet his agent wouldn’t have mind if they waited

Nope. Doesn’t work that way. You’re saying with a lot of words that essentially his 24 pts a game would be replaced by other players. If that were the case we’d be in this #5-ish spot every year (assuming the same lineup minus Garza).

You talk about “math” not working, then let’s see you take Garza’s WS and WS/40 and make the “math” work out to the same Iowa wins...

It doesn’t, FYI. I’ll save you the trouble.

Even if you want to use the “efficiency” metric you’re talking about, replace Garza with someone else’s effective FG percentage and see if Iowa still scores enough to win the same number of ballgames. It’s pretty simple...you can’t replace his win shares unless you have someone as skillled coming up the pike...and we both know there’s no Garza waiting in the wings.

You completely underestimate the impact Luka has on this team and that’s not hyperbole, it’s statistical fact. Even with Murray taking up some of the scoring slack, you’re going to get a rude awakening next year when that piece is missing.
This is exactly what I have been saying. With out Garza we might be looking at being in a play in game. Maybe sneaking in as the seventh seed out of the conference.

Garza is that important. Better enjoy every game and every win as you likely will not see another Garza in an Iowa uniform the rest of your lives. Been following Iowa basketball for over fifty years, I know what I am talking about.

It would be flat on our face to not make the 2nd round, ya still gotta up Fran’s deal dumb dumbs, ya can’t fire him, he’s too good. Ya can’t leave him out to dry, he will find a different spot and the school and program will suffer because of it. Fran holds the cards, he’s doing Iowa solid getting it out of the way now. I bet his agent wouldn’t have mind if they waited
Do you really think Fran would leave now if they did not do this extension at this time before the start of the tourney?

I agree that it could have waited until after the tournament.

Frank is the one who coached up Garza. He should be getting a check from Barta.
Yes, Frank coached up his son so he would be the best player he could be. What about the other players? I'm not saying Luka isn't a great Hawkeye, but I am saying that he couldn't be the player he is without his teammates. I've seen teams that had a fantastic individual player that never fed him the ball because they KNEW they would never see it again - those "black hole" players who score a gazillion points but don't do anything else. Luka isn't that kind of player, and it's due to Fran and the other players he has recruited to fit around Luka. JoeW, JBo and CJ are a huge part of why Luka produces the way he does and Luka is a huge part of how productive they can be.

Fran will have another 1st team all conference player next season at worst the next but we won’t see a guy like Luka for a long while. Fran does have some history there, sometimes he’s been able to get 2 at the same time. I expect that trend to continue. Iowa hoops is healthy.

Latest posts