Iowa Extends Contract of Fran McCaffery

You’re argument gets worse post by post. I was going to let Admin Fry and In Good handle this but I’ll chime in.

Did you read the story? Did you see the NCAA bids? Did you see the 1st team all conference players? The all freshmen team guys over the years weren’t even mentioned...a testament to Fran’s ability to identify talent.

I chose this post to quote because you suggest it’s the Top 5 ranking as “the reason.” There are lots of reasons and this extension is merited.

And for the record I don’t think we were in imminent danger of losing him. He earned this. And it would have happened last year if not for the pandemic, etc. So this was already going to happen.
So, you are happy with this if he loses to Grand Canyon....this extension? Or if he loses in the round of 32?

I mean we will all on cloud 9 if in the Elite 8, but I just don't get this extension timing....and for a guy who is not leaving. Barta is either going to look like a genius or a big time fool again here.

Why is it bad? It could go either way. In 2 weeks it could be very bad if Iowa doesn’t have him locked up too. Iowa has a path to the 2nd weekend, we’re ranked 5th in country. If you’re Iowa, ya can’t expect to lose, ya expect to win. If Iowa wins, they’re gonna want to know their coach isn’t going any where. Iowa was going to extend him anyways. I don’t really get why people question the timing on this. The last one was ridiculous, this one should be met with cheers imo.

"It could be bad if IOWA doesn't have him locked up?" How so?

If you think bigger programs with deeper pockets are suddenly going to come beating down the door for Fran if he gets IOWA to the Final Four or Elite Eight, and that Fran would suddenly bolt IOWA... you're as delusional as Barta. Even if somebody did, the IOWA job looks pretty good right now. I'm sure we could find somebody capable of 3 NCAA wins in their first 10 years.

If IOWA doesn't make it past 2 games, Barta will once again look like a fool. Something he's apparently comfortable with at this point.

Wait til after the tourney, then offer Fran an extension commensurate with his NCAA performance (which I'll remind you is 3 wins in 10 years thus far).

Last edited:
Who cares when he's extended?

Fran's not going anywhere with two sons on the team. Plus I don't see him leaving until he's done coaching the youngest son. This extension will take him thru that and what will Fran be then, over 65 I'm sure.

Plus he's going to have the team ready on Saturday. In his interview today he talked about how with Siena he was usually a 13-15 seed and knocked off some higher seeds, I think he said a #4 Vanderbilt. He's going to have the Hawks ready.........

Could Barta have at least waited until the conclusion of the NCAAs
Why would he wait? Reasons not to wait:

Fran just earned a 2 seed in the Dance. Tied for Highest seed ever. And with two of his best players injured the past 30 days when he went 8-2. An unbelievable coaching job. Iowa was a dumpster fire when he took over. Plus, he is a high character coach whom the players love.

Now, let’s discuss Barta. He is doing a phenomenal job:

1. probable Natty in wrestling. Back to back Big ten titles.
2. Big ten title in track.
3. Recent big ten title in women’s BB (2 years ago). Young team with a 5 seed in the Dance. One of the best players in the country as a Frosh.
4. Men’s BB: rated #8 in the country. Highest seed in the Dance in 34 years. Probable Wooden award winner.
5. Football: #15 national ranking.
6. Recent big ten title in baseball.
7. Field hockey: big ten title.
8. Women’s gymnastics: big ten title.

criticizing Barta is just wrong. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

Fran just earned a 2 seed in the Dance. Tied for Highest seed ever. And with two of his best players injured the past 30 days when he went 8-2. An unbelievable coaching job. Iowa was a dumpster fire when he took over. Plus, he is a high character coach whom the players love.

3. Recent big ten title in women’s BB (2 years ago). Young team with a 5 seed in the Dance. One of the best players in the country as a Frost.
4. Men’s BB: rated #8 in the country. Highest seed in the Dance in 34 years. Probable Wooden award winner.
8. Women’s swimming: big ten title.

Sorry... big ten title in women’s gymnastics, not swimming

This is Mr. Davis in 9 out of 13 years:
9 NCAAs in 13 years
1 Elite 8 (he had another at Boston College)
2 Sweet 16s
Never lost a first round game

He was let go in year 13.

Fran is about to have his 6th NCAA appearance in 11 years (one of those was a play-in game). He is 3-0 in first round games. 0-1 in the play-in game. One year lost because of covid.

Fran has seven more years on this contract. So, he will be at Iowa for 18 years if he stays until the end of it.

This is how it sits pre Grand Canyon game. Better than Lickliter by far, but what an extension compared to the last good coach at Iowa. Yes, he did have a big rebuilding job, but hopefully he adds what is missing to his resume in this tourney.
If you're going to compare Fran to Mr. Davis, you have to take into account what Fran inherited in 2010 vs what Tom inherited in 1986.

And for the 4,768th time Tom was not necessarily let go because of on court performance. Lazy recruiting and lax response to Chris Kingsbury's off the court problems were big factors as well.

Fran would have told Chris to shape up or ship out.

Last edited:

3. Recent big ten title in women’s BB (2 years ago). Young team with a 5 seed in the Dance. One of the best players in the country as a Frosh.
8. Women’s gymnastics: big ten title.

You forgot to add in all of his lawsuits.

The derp in this thread is out-fucking-rageous and getting worse by the minute.

@InGoodCo & @HuckFinn due to my required impartial observer requirements please convince me why I shouldn’t nuke this thing. Seriously.

I mean, are folks seriously suggesting Fran needs to go or not be extended if he loses second round?? Have you people been smoking’ J’s with Callahan, Solich, and Pelini?? Christ on a crutch...

IOWA is a wet dream job for an AD. Fiercely loyal fan base. Track record of success. Deep pockets considering we're the smallest public school in the conference, B1G TV money and exposure and no constant expectations of Championships like tOSU, Penn St, Michigan, Nebraska (ha ha) in football or Indiana, Mich St in basketball. Get into a bowl game 3 of 4 years (meaning at least .500 in conference) and an NCAA tourney berth every second or third year and people are satisfied (for the most part). Not a super high bar.

Wrestling is an anomaly...there aren't many places (if any) like IOWA when it comes to wrestling. And much as I love it...it's not a marquee sport like Football or Basketball.

Women's bball is strong and steady, but Lisa Bluder was on board when Barta arrived.

Everything else is window dressing (with all due respect and credit to the kids who play it), we're talking from a job performance standpoint.

And... as others have pointed out...he's f***ed up enough off-the-field moves for two careers.

@InGoodCo & @HuckFinn due to my required impartial observer requirements please convince me why I shouldn’t nuke this thing. Seriously.

I mean, are folks seriously suggesting Fran needs to go or not be extended if he loses second round?? Have you people been smoking’ J’s with Callahan, Solich, and Pelini?? Christ on a crutch...

There's a big diff between saying an extension can wait and saying he should be dumped. A BIG...difference. I don't see anybody saying he should be fired...just that Barta needs to let things playout before taking out the checkbook and masturbating.

Last edited:

Literally no one has said he needs to go if he loses second round. I don't even think anyone said he shouldn't be extended. The argument others and I have is what was wrong with waiting a few weeks to see what happens? Other schools are not and were not beating down our door to interview him.

Literally no one has said he needs to go if he loses second round. I don't even think anyone said he shouldn't be extended. The argument others and I have is what was wrong with waiting a few weeks to see what happens? Other schools are not and were not beating down our door to interview him.
Just by virtue of you saying Farta should’ve waited until after the tournament says that you think an extension should be dependent on his performance in the tourney.

Otherwise why not do it now?? I’ll wait.

There's a big diff between saying an extension can wait and saying he should be dumped. A BIG...difference. I don't see anybody saying he should be fired...just that Barta needs to let things playout before taking out the checkbook and masturbating.
But...by saying it can wait implies you think it should be dependent on how he finishes, right??

Im not seeing any other logical explanation...

But...by saying it can wait implies you think it should be dependent on how he finishes, right??

Im not seeing any other logical explanation...

It should certainly be part of the equation...which is why you wait. Imagine that, seeing how a guy performs on the biggest stage before deciding whether and/or how much of a raise to give him? As Fran himself said... "Body of work". I'd suggest one of the most import parts of that "body of work" would be playoff performance. Some would say it's the most important.

If Fran takes IOWA deep in the tourney, you've got a strong case for extending him and should do it. If he doesn't...now you've pissed down your leg and once again look like an idiot. So you let it play out.

Barta...is a lousy poker player.

Literally no one has said he needs to go if he loses second round. I don't even think anyone said he shouldn't be extended. The argument others and I have is what was wrong with waiting a few weeks to see what happens? Other schools are not and were not beating down our
"It could be bad if IOWA doesn't have him locked up?" How so?

If you think bigger programs with deeper pockets are suddenly going to come beating down the door for Fran if he gets IOWA to the Final Four or Elite Eight, and that Fran would suddenly bolt IOWA... you're as delusional as Barta. Even if somebody did, the IOWA job looks pretty good right now. I'm sure we could find somebody capable of 3 NCAA wins in their first 10 years.

If IOWA doesn't make it past 2 games, Barta will once again look like a fool. Something he's apparently comfortable with at this point.

Wait til after the tourney, then offer Fran an extension commensurate with his NCAA performance (which I'll remind you is 3 wins in 10 years thus far).
He won’t look like a fool, he was getting the extension either way. Iowa was literally in a better or at worst same position by doing it now rather than waiting until after the tournament. Either way he’s being extended. Do you wanna do it right now? Or do you want to wait until later. If your Iowa, do it now. You’re going to extend him anyways. 4 year extension are the norm, you have a way better chance at a lower price tag now if you do. It’s a smart play for school that has to make wise decisions with their money in this climate.

He won’t look like a fool, he was getting the extension either way. Iowa was literally in a better or at worst same position by doing it now rather than waiting until after the tournament. Either way he’s being extended. Do you wanna do it right now? Or do you want to wait until later. If your Iowa, do it now. You’re going to extend him anyways. 4 year extension are the norm, you have a way better chance at a lower price tag now if you do. It’s a smart play for school that has to make wise decisions with their money in this climate.

There are so many false assumptions in there I wouldn't know where to start.

Just read this whole thread and people are finally saying what I was thinking the whole time. Fran is getting an extension based on having the best regular season in decades right after having a really good season last year (projected 5 seed which ranks up there pretty damn high in hawkeye history). He was getting this extension even if he flames out Saturday because everyone but a handful of fans knows that how you do over an entire season matters way more for determining a coaches worth than the randomness of one game. The only thing Fran could do over the course of this tournament is improve his stock. That means Barta was smart to lock him into the cheapest possible extension.

It should certainly be part of the equation...which is why you wait. Imagine that, seeing how a guy performs on the biggest stage before deciding whether and/or how much of a raise to give him? As Fran himself said... "Body of work". I'd suggest one of the most import parts of that "body of work" would be playoff performance. Some would say it's the most important.

If Fran takes IOWA deep in the tourney, you've got a strong case for extending him and should do it. If he doesn't...now you've pissed down your leg and once again look like an idiot. So you let it play out.

Barta...is a lousy poker player.
So that means you are saying he deserves an extension and a raise no matter what, but you think they could have offered less money and less years if he flamed out early? I get that line of thinking, bit it's not like Barta treated him like Kirk and made him one of the top paid coaches in the nation. I'd say they gave him pretty much the bare minimum for what a coach deserves after these last two seasons. They will be paying him just right if they get upset early (again anything can happen in one game). But boy will they be getting off cheap if the hawks do something special. Waiting was only going to cost Iowa money in my opinion.