Iowa Done Recruiting Florida????

Isn't it ironic..... It's like rain, that's all I got

It's the free advice... that ya just didn't take! And who would have thought, it figures?

Hmm maybe Alanis is onto something here. Kirk needs to start taking some free advice from all these geniuses.

I was with them after this past season but I am willing to give him another 2 years to see how the coaching changes affect this team. Still don't think he can turn it around, but hey he isn't going anywhere might as well try to be positive at least.

This is where I'm at also Dave.

That is what I mean, with our resources we need to put more into recruiting than any other BIG school. Shoot, I'd be fine with them hiring a person(s) who does nothing but recruit one of the big states. Basically a larger staff hitting the road and guys who focus solely on recruiting. Perhaps even a guy who does nothing but hammer on some 4 & 5 * recruits and no one else. I don't see any reason we can't have someone practically camped in Florida, TX, OH etc. Need to invest everything we can in scouting, recruiting and building relationships with kids and coaches all over the country.

Exactly. And with Iowa's lack of in-state talent (relatively speaking), IMO it's all the more important that Iowa go pedal to the metal when it comes to recruiting.. It has to work harder than everyone else to overcome it's recruiting challenges just to keep up with everyone else. Are our coaches doing that? I just don't think so. Why do I say that? Because we see articles written saying that Iowa has offered half as many, or maybe even a third as many, 4 or 5* recruits as programs like Illinois & Nebraska do. And now it's not going to bother trying to recruit from FL apparently, either. And I have to say, it ticks me off. Sure, we aren't going to get commitments from most of the high end recruits that we offer, but they sure as heck are not going to come here if they don't even have a scholarship offer.

If someone gives 100% effort, I will always respect the effort, even if the results aren't there. But if they don't bother to try, then IMO it's either laziness or a defeatist attitude. I'm not sure what else you would call it. The moment you stop trying, is the moment I lose respect for you. Harsh words I know, but that's the way I see things with the football program right now.

This is where I'm at also Dave.

I don't see him going anywhere but I do like the changes THIS offseason. I thought that Greg Davis might bring in a little different twist to a stale offense and he did but they weren't good. I am sure some of the issues had to do with personnal but still as HawkeyeGameFilm pointed out all season long some things they were doing made no sense at all and allowed opposing defenses to key in on plays easier than when KOK was coordinator.

I want this team to succeed, I don't care who is head coach or how much money he makes.

Whammer, it is beyond Freed it is anyone who dislikes KF and is unwilling to give him more time to turn things around. Nothing makes them happy unless he gets fired or quits and the sooner the better. I was with them after this past season but I am willing to give him another 2 years to see how the coaching changes affect this team. Still don't think he can turn it around, but hey he isn't going anywhere might as well try to be positive at least.

For the last few months I tried to give ferentz the benefit of the doubt. However, it defies logic to do that. Every time I try to give him a chance, he does something, not just dumb, but absolutely foolish like pulling out of the states where the best college players come from.

You don't want to admit this thing is over until he's gone. I understand that and have been under that attitude for the last few months. The thing is, I can't deny reality for very long. If you were very honest, and not emotionally attached to Iowa football you'd have to come to the realization that it's already over. For example, if any of the other big ten teams had a coach like him that did as many brain dead things as he has in his 14th year, what would you think of them?

Yes, you are right. It's beyond me to be optimistic while ferentz is at Iowa. And you have to admit that you are in your "wishful thinking" stage before you come to your senses. :)

FreedComanche

For the last few months I tried to give ferentz the benefit of the doubt. However, it defies logic to do that. Every time I try to give him a chance, he does something, not just dumb, but absolutely foolish like pulling out of the states where the best college players come from.

You don't want to admit this thing is over until he's gone. I understand that and have been under that attitude for the last few months. The thing is, I can't deny reality for very long. If you were very honest, and not emotionally attached to Iowa football you'd have to come to the realization that it's already over. For example, if any of the other big ten teams had a coach like him that did as many brain dead things as he has in his 14th year, what would you think of them?

Yes, you are right. It's beyond me to be optimistic while ferentz is at Iowa. And you have to admit that you are in your "wishful thinking" stage before you come to your senses. :)

FreedComanche

What I meant about "beyond Freed" was that many people like you, not just you have this obsession with rather being negative than positive (or a better word is hopeful rather than positive), that things will get better.

I just don't see the point in everyday being so negative anymore. KF is trying to change things, sure I am with you I don't think he can but while he is trying, I am trying to be supportive of this team and program.

As Whammer pointed out, if you believe it is a lost cause why does it matter which coaches KF brings in, or which players or where they recruit said players.

What I meant about "beyond Freed" was that many people like you, not just you have this obsession with rather being negative than positive (or a better word is hopeful rather than positive), that things will get better.

I just don't see the point in everyday being so negative anymore. KF is trying to change things, sure I am with you I don't think he can but while he is trying, I am trying to be supportive of this team and program.

As Whammer pointed out, if you believe it is a lost cause why does it matter which coaches KF brings in, or which players or where they recruit said players.

Lol..........I know. I think I'll always care about Iowa football. I do think it's a lost cause as long as he's here. But it's tough not to get emotionally involved even if that's the case. It's not logical, I agree with you.

FreedComanche

Lol..........I know. I think I'll always care about Iowa football. I do think it's a lost cause as long as he's here. But it's tough not to get emotionally involved even if that's the case. It's not logical, I agree with you.

FreedComanche

I am the same Freed, I always care about Iowa football and I know you want what is best for the program. I think I am back on the kool-aid just a little too soon I guess.

Did you read the part where Johnson said they're gonna focus on 6-8 hours away? Isn't most of TX, if not all of it, more than 8 hourse from Iowa City?

FreedComanche

yes, but I'm also inferring that Davis has years of relationships built in TX and none in FL so it would make sense that we would shift from FL to TX. IDK but assuming our current staff doesn't have established relationships in FL but does in OH and TX.

yes, but I'm also inferring that Davis has years of relationships built in TX and none in FL so it would make sense that we would shift from FL to TX. IDK but assuming our current staff doesn't have established relationships in FL but does in OH and TX.

If Johnson would have stated that, then great.

Don't you think you gotta, at the very least, be in either Texas or Florida concerning recruiting? I would bet those are the two biggest states when talking about D-1A talent.

FreedComanche

If Johnson would have stated that, then great.

Don't you think you gotta, at the very least, be in either Texas or Florida concerning recruiting? I would bet those are the two biggest states when talking about D-1A talent.

FreedComanche

Come on Freed, you know communication with the anyone "outside" the program is horrible.

Let's be honest here, just because a few stand outs played well from Iowa over 10-20 years ago doesn't mean it is going to happen now. Different kids, players and work ethics.

My point being I dont think there is a talent problem with players. Im not a big fan of giving up on states like florida. Iowa has a talent problem at the coaching position. I understand Iowa wont be in a BCS game every year but I know that they have the talent to win 8 games every year. I know there are teams that Iowa shouldnt lose to at all let alone every year.

My point being I dont think there is a talent problem with players. Im not a big fan of giving up on states like florida. Iowa has a talent problem at the coaching position. I understand Iowa wont be in a BCS game every year but I know that they have the talent to win 8 games every year. I know there are teams that Iowa shouldnt lose to at all let alone every year.

I don't get the move either, it isn't well explained as 6-8 hours from Campus is mostly Minnesota, Illinios, Nebraska, Indiana and Missouri. I agree that there is talent in those states but FL and TX have a lot too. Giving up on FL seems a bit misguided but we don't know why. Maybe their old relationships with coaches are running dry and spending the time creating new ones aren't in the programs best interests because of how long it takes.

Historically, that's been true. It's not now. And it's because of the lack of talent in coaching that caused the talent decline.

FreedComanche

Latest posts