Iowa Done Recruiting Florida????

When you're at a school like Iowa you don't need to go find recruits, they find you. Ferentz knows that, now he's just going to sit back and wait for the big time recruits to come rolling in.

This seems like a lock tight plan to me! Iowa is a power program in a power conference with 5* recruits sitting back and waiting for an Iowa offer. Little to no effort at all, so maybe they will have time to work on clock management. I would suggest a great book "Clock Management for Dummies"

We have a history of getting good players from Florida and Texas and should absolutely continue trying to get players from these states. We are trying to get them from as far away as Maryland and Pennsylvania so why not the most talent rich states of tex and Florida. This isn't the 20's, kids will travel
This got me checking the undefeated teams in 1921 and 1922 were full of all Americans and all Big 10 players all from in state. Anyone ripping on Iowa talent as being bad has it all wrong. They beat Knute Rockne's undefeated Notre Dame team and Yale. I also remember a few guys named Tim Dwight and Tavion Banks. If anyone says Iowa players are slow I challenge them to try to catch either of those guys.

I think KF did this because he likes to lose. Not because he thinks staff time is better spent elsewhere

I think KF did this because he likes to lose. Not because he thinks staff time is better spent elsewhere

Clearly this is what is going on. KF gets a big kick out of losing. At night he trolls the hawk message boards using his MythOfFerentz user name.

I dont think KF wants to lose in general but he only wants to win his way. He has made that very clear. Also I dont think he wanted to win the nebrasky game. There would have been too much explaining to do.

Kirk would love for his conservative boring ball to make a comeback so he could smirk and snort at all the doubters. However he would rather be fired than change and that is where we are currently. Just waiting for everyone to see that.

This got me checking the undefeated teams in 1921 and 1922 were full of all Americans and all Big 10 players all from in state. Anyone ripping on Iowa talent as being bad has it all wrong. They beat Knute Rockne's undefeated Notre Dame team and Yale. I also remember a few guys named Tim Dwight and Tavion Banks. If anyone says Iowa players are slow I challenge them to try to catch either of those guys.

Are you seriously comparing football teams from 1921 to today's game?

As for whether message board geeks could run down Tim Dwight.... LOL. Pointless and irrelevant observation.

I would say most coaches are very stubborn and only want to win their way. Most have massive egos. I actually think KF is mild in this area compared to most.

Yeah kirk davis is mild he will only punt from the 38 yard line. He should call a timeout after that and walk out to the middle of the field and give the stadium the finger, because that wouldnt be mild.

If Devine and Slater were playing today they would still be all Americans. A Duke Slater with modern weight training is a scary thought.

I would say most coaches are very stubborn and only want to win their way. Most have massive egos. I actually think KF is mild in this area compared to most.

I think that KF wants you to believe this, and I used to, but after 14 year, I think KF's ego is just as big if not bigger then most coaches.

I would like to know what our recruiting budget is compared to all other BIG schools. With our financial resources, and lack of in state talent, we need to be at the top and spending more than anyone.

Do we not look to our former players from all over the country to alert us to kids in their hometowns and states as well? We've had entry of Florida, Texas players that should be good sources and references for us. Hayden had tons from Texas and kf has had plenty from Florida.

I would like to know what our recruiting budget is compared to all other BIG schools. With our financial resources, and lack of in state talent, we need to be at the top and spending more than anyone.

Not sure what is actually allocated, but it seemed that it was pretty well known that Iowa's athletic department is in the Top 15 or Top 20 for sure, nationally, in revenue. So I don't think lack of resources in the recruiting budget should be a problem. If our coaches can't afford to travel more than 6-8 hours from IC on recruiting trips, then something doesn't add up IMO. I mean, it can afford to pay its football coach Top 5 money and it just did a $40 million project on renovations and a new practice facility for the hoops program. The Iowa Athletic Department has money.

I dont think KF wants to lose in general but he only wants to win his way. He has made that very clear. Also I dont think he wanted to win the nebrasky game. There would have been too much explaining to do.

Kirk would love for his conservative boring ball to make a comeback so he could smirk and snort at all the doubters. However he would rather be fired than change and that is where we are currently. Just waiting for everyone to see that.

I just think this is stupid, and we haven't had a good argument in awhile.....

Could it be that KF has just made a decision that the best way to win at Iowa is to play solid D, minimize TO, and win the turnover battle to try to win? I mean it did work at Iowa for 5 years or so, and it seems to work for many NFL teams, and college teams as well.

I just don't see what is wrong with that. I would say the same of a Chip Kelley, or some high power offensive scheme that is designed to put so much pressure on the other teams D, that ultimately it wears them down, and you win games.

It is a philosophy, and both can have success. It isn't like Stanford, and Alabama (the SEC as a whole) aren't winning now with similar philosophies. It is about his execution in his philosophy that isn't working, not the fact that he uses D, and minimizing TO (conservative approach) to try to win games.

I just think this is stupid, and we haven't had a good argument in awhile.....

Could it be that KF has just made a decision that the best way to win at Iowa is to play solid D, minimize TO, and win the turnover battle to try to win? I mean it did work at Iowa for 5 years or so, and it seems to work for many NFL teams, and college teams as well.

I just don't see what is wrong with that. I would say the same of a Chip Kelley, or some high power offensive scheme that is designed to put so much pressure on the other teams D, that ultimately it wears them down, and you win games.

It is a philosophy, and both can have success. It isn't like Stanford, and Alabama (the SEC as a whole) aren't winning now with similar philosophies. It is about his execution in his philosophy that isn't working, not the fact that he uses D, and minimizing TO (conservative approach) to try to win games.

Dean, I think the philosophy you just stated is perfectly fine. But regardless of the philosophy/system, you still have to have the personnel to execute it at a high enough level to be able to win with it. I'm just concerned that if the staff is limiting itself to 6-8 hours within Iowa City, that it will be able to get enough good talent to do so.

Maybe I'm taking that "6-8 hour distance from campus" quote too literally, but that came straight from the coaching staff, so not sure how else to take that if that's not what was meant. I'm sure there will still be occasional recruits from NJ, MD, IL, OH, etc. but I'm afraid that as time goes by, when they show our starting lineups on TV, that's going to be more and more "IA, IA, IA, SD, IA, etc.".

It's already been documented also that Iowa had offered something like 44 4-5* recruits, where Illinois & Nebraska had offered more like 90-100+. I just have serious concerns that this staff is doing everything it can to pull the best talent it can, and now we find out that it wants to keep it's recruiting efforts "closer to home".

You may disagree with my concerns and that's fine, but I can't help but worry about the talent level, specifically after the way last year went.

Latest posts