Iowa Done Recruiting Florida????

Bottom Line - KF HAS LOST HIS WAY:

When he came here, he built the program with the philosophy that we needed a great O-Line, and flat out speed everywhere else. You could muscle em up, but they had to be fast.

Especially at the LB position which in our defensive scheme, had LB's covering WR.

Now, we seem to not care about speed at all. It's about "being a football player," or a work ethic. We used to take flash and turn them into blue collar. Now we take blue collar and shrug our shoulders when they don't turn into flash.

There was nothing more important to KF than speed when he took over. He said it publicly, and he recruited that way.

It's almost like KF knew how to build the program, but knew that he didn't like it, and as soon as he got it back, he abandoned what got it there, and decided to change course and go after a Pittsburgh Steeler aesthetic.

Florida kids are not tough enough to make it in Big 10 football by in large. Kids from Texas, Iowa, Nebraska, Chicago and the East tend to handle the physical nature of Big 10 football better. I know ther are exceptions but just in general.

... and the Lickification (Davision?) of Iowa football continues.

The bridge is out up ahead with The Gerg at the switch, convincing Corporal Kurt to engineer this crazy train right into the abyss of a new generation of Iowa football.

Hey, the 60's and 70's were awesome! Who wouldn't want to relive those "laying the foundation" years?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How many 4-5 star guys from Florida has Iowa pulled in KF's tenure?

thx

Without looking back at all of the past recruiting classes, I will guess probably about as many as it can expect to pull from within 6 hours of Iowa City.. thx

Without looking back at all of the past recruiting classes, I will guess probably about as it can expect to pull from within 6 hours of Iowa City.. thx

Serious?

Bonecrusher, Doering, Bain, Moeaki, Dace and JC were all from Illinois. Stross was from Ohio, but that might be pushing 6 hours from Iowa City.

Larson was from Iowa. Keenan Davis was from 25 minutes up 380. Wegher was from just over the border in SD.

Those are players that immediately jumped into my head. You lose.

... and the Lickification (Davision?) of Iowa football continues.

The bridge is out up ahead with The Gerg at the switch, convincing Corporal Kurt to engineer this crazy train right into the abyss of a new generation of Iowa football.

Hey, the 60's and 70's were awesome! Who wouldn't want to relive those "laying the foundation" years?

I gotta say that the hyperbole train is a rolling, and there is no way to stop it now. Getting a kid or 2 a year from Florida won't make or break any program. Why can't people understand that recruiting such a far away outlier with one member of the coaching staff is a very, very tough sled. Instead you reallocate coaches to Texas, and make a stronger and better push at the kids there.

Serious?

Bonecrusher, Doering, Bain, Moeaki, Dace and JC were all from Illinois. Stross was from Ohio, but that might be pushing 6 hours from Iowa City.

Larson was from Iowa. Keenan Davis was from 25 minutes up 380. Wegher was from just over the border in SD.

Those are players that immediately jumped into my head. You lose.

Ok, so there were a few.. Point being - why is the coaching staff limiting itself to such a close radius to IC? For all the talk about recruiting Texas, taking it from Jon's OP that one of the coaches said "most of the kids will be recruited from within close proximity to campus". Doesn't sound like according to that, they even plan to recruit TX very hard. Better hope they can clean up Illinois, then.

But don't take my word for it, I'm not the one who said/posted this:
Johnson said that as a staff, the Iowa coaches would rather spend the time and resources recruiting players who live in a closer proximity to the Iowa campus, most of them being no more than six to eight hours away from their homes.

Most of the recruits you were talking about weren't exactly recent, with an exception or two.. What do you expect going forward with this recruiting philosophy?

I gotta say that the hyperbole train is a rolling, and there is no way to stop it now. Getting a kid or 2 a year from Florida won't make or break any program. Why can't people understand that recruiting such a far away outlier with one member of the coaching staff is a very, very tough sled. Instead you reallocate coaches to Texas, and make a stronger and better push at the kids there.

You're not wrong - not by a long shot. But that's not how it was positioned by the coaching staff... and if there is anything that this staff consistently stinks at, it's communications. To be fair, Barta isn't very good at this either.

We have a history of getting good players from Florida and Texas and should absolutely continue trying to get players from these states. We are trying to get them from as far away as Maryland and Pennsylvania so why not the most talent rich states of tex and Florida. This isn't the 20's, kids will travel

I would be ok with losing Florida ONLY if we are able to pull better recruits out of Texas.

A side thought with recruiting, who was the last db that iowa recruited and signed that was highly recruited by other major teams?

You're not wrong - not by a long shot. But that's not how it was positioned by the coaching staff... and if there is anything that this staff consistently stinks at, it's communications. To be fair, Barta isn't very good at this either.

This is true (the communication part) I guess I just use my brain, and when they say that they are pulling out of Florida, then by default they are reallocating that effort into another region.....even if they don't come out and say that.

I would be ok with losing Florida ONLY if we are able to pull better recruits out of Texas.

A side thought with recruiting, who was the last db that iowa recruited and signed that was highly recruited by other major teams?

Solomon Warfield - Yahoo! Sports PSU, Mich St., ASU, Arizona, etc...

Maurice Fleming Jr. - Yahoo! Sports Wisky, G-Tech, Cincy, etc...

Anthony Morgan - Yahoo! Sports Arizona, Stanford, Vandy, Texas Tech, etc...

Nicholas Law - Yahoo! Sports Cincy, Louisville, etc...

Most of those players had mid-level BCS offers bt many of the above schools were in BCS games in the past 4-5 years or so.

Anthony Morgan/Gair probably had the most impressive offer from Standford in my opinion.

Malik Rucker, Sean Draper guys like that were recruited by mid-level BCS schools as well.

Personally, I think that DB recruiting has gotten better, it seemed that Iowa has focused on recruiting DBs who actually have experience in playing CB or Safety not an athletic QB in HS that they try to turn into a DB who needs 2-3 years to learn the position.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any football program. If you don't bring in the talent, you can't consistently win games. It won't matter how many times you shuffle the assistant coaching deck. It ain't that complicated.

I have come to the conclusion that I care only about Wins & Losses and that is how I will judge KF and the staff. As the HC, Ferentz is responsible for every aspect of the Iowa Football program and the decisions he makes need to be winning decisions. That is just bottom line. KF is being paid handsomely to win and to not lose. I will leave it to KF to decide the best places to recruit; then, I will judge him on his Won / Loss record.

Iowa Hawkeyes Recruiting Coordinator Eric Johnson and former Iowa Defensive Coordinator Norm Parker paid a visit to Des Moines on Tuesday night for the Polk County I-Club's annual Recruiting gathering.

Johnson led things off with some comments related to how a handful of recruits asked about the status of Iowa's indoor practice facility, as a factor in their recruitment. Iowa is about a year away from their new football complex being totally completed and the new indoor practice facility was completed last August.

Fans in attendance were able to ask Johnson some recruiting questions and one fan in attendance asked why Iowa didn't sign anyone from Florida in this class, which I believe is the first time that has happened during the Ferentz era.

Johnson said that as a staff, the Iowa coaches would rather spend the time and resources recruiting players who live in a closer proximity to the Iowa campus, most of them being no more than six to eight hours away from their homes. That means less emphasis on Florida.

On the surface, that might make some people question the logic given that a lot of good football players come from Florida. It certainly blew up my twitter timeline when I tweeted it on Tuesday night and even the BTN's Gerry Dinardo chimed in.

Here are the number of players Iowa signed from Florida in recent classes followed by the number of players who are either still in the program or stayed at Iowa for their entire careers:

2012: 2/2 (Greg Mabin, Daumantas Venckus both still at Iowa)
2011: 2/2 (Jake Rudock, Torrey Campbell both still at Iowa)
2010: 1/0 (De'Andre Johnson transfer)
2009: 1/0 (Josh Brown transfer)
2008: 3/1 (Jeff Brinson transfer, David Blackwell grades, Jack Swanson grad in four years no two deep impact)
2007: 1/0 (Jevon Pugh transfer)
2006: 2/2* (*Lance Tillison left, then came back and finished, Troy Johnson neither two-deep impact)
2005: 2/0 (Vernon Jackson transfer, Calvin Bailey grades)
2004: 1/1 (Damien Sims was a 'hit')
2003: 0/1 (Chris Brevi transfer)
2002: 3/2 (Marcus Paschal, Ed Miles, Larry Thomas transfer)

Looking over that list, one might suggest that Iowa hasn't really actively targeting Florida for a decade now, or at least there in lies quite a bit of evidence as to whatever their modus operandi has been down there has been broken. Rick Kaczenski recruited Florida for Iowa from 2007-2011. Before him I believe Phil Parker spent some time in the Sunshine State, though I think it was a joint effort.

The truth of the matter is that the Florida talent that Iowa landed in the early days of the Ferentz era (Colin Cole, Fred Barr, Antwan Allen, Mo Brown, CJ Jones, Brad Banks, Abdul Hodge etc) had a huge helping hand from Bret Bielema, Iowa's best recruiter and the assistant coach in charge of Florida. While Bielema and Iowa struck out on a lot of the players they signed from Florida, the hits were pretty darned good.

There are a great many great players who play in the Sunshine State each year. For whatever the reasons, Iowa has chosen a different recruiting strategy since their early years and Johnson's statement on Tuesday night about Iowa not focusing as much on Florida isn't actually a surprise at all, as you can tell.

Is Florida THE answer? Not necessarily. The starting lineup for Iowa's 2010 Orange Bowl champs didn't include a Florida native and did include five Iowans. Conversely, the starting lineup for the 2002 Big Ten Champs included at least seven Florida natives. If not Florida, then you have to mine another talent rich state and Iowa has been shifting their attention to Ohio, which is roughly eight hours away from Iowa City.

Why has Florida been a problem for Iowa? One I think is personnel; those who have gone there to recruit haven't done the job that Bielema did . That said, Iowa had plenty of misses during that time; you just don't remember them. The 'margin for error' is more slim when you bring a kid from Florida up to Iowa, or Illinois, or Minnesota or any cold weather state. It;s a big, big difference from a weather standpoint as well as culturally. I've spent a great deal of time in Florida as I have family in the St. Petersburg area. These are different worlds. They are not alien worlds and both offer good things. However, when homesickness creeps in and the wind chill is below zero? That can be a tough thing to overcome.

Other notes from Tuesday:

-Johnson said that Derrick Willies might be the best receiver they have ever had in one of their summer camps
-Norm Parker said he feels this year's defense will be better at each position grouping than they were one year ago

My problem with this is the best year in Iowa football under KF was 2002. The following KEY contributors to that team were all from Florida.

Brad Banks
CJ Jones
Maurice Brown
Colin Cole
George Lewis
Fred Barr
Antwan Allen

And then Bielema left to coach at Kansas State. We have not had a top notch recruiter since. This has everything to do with hiring recruiters to find talent and get them to come to Iowa. I am tired of the "were just Iowa, it is to hard to recruit here." If we get people who can recruit, then players will come to Iowa. It has been proven in the past. KF needs to figure it out fast. This game is passing him by, and he is being to stubborn to realize it.

Texas, New Jersey, Maryland and Pennsylvania do not appear to be within 6-8 hours of Iowa City, which is where they said they are going to focus on. A good portion of Ohio isn't even within 8 hours driving distance. Perhaps we are going into the recruiting hot beds of Fort Wayne, IN and Mitchell, SD?

When you're at a school like Iowa you don't need to go find recruits, they find you. Ferentz knows that, now he's just going to sit back and wait for the big time recruits to come rolling in.

Latest posts