Iowa commit Jestin Jacobs picks up tOSU offer

If I'm anyone in contact with Jacobs I hope they just inform him that the odds of Meyer being OSUs coach when he graduates is pretty much slim and none... The odds of KF being Iowa's HC in 4 or 5 yrs aren't that great either but better than his...

I would like it if Jacobs would honor his commitment to Iowa. But if he doesn’t, its not the end of the world. There are still plenty of unsigned talented LB’s out there.
Our chances of signing Bell are slim, but we are having more success targeting the WR’s than we did last year. Maybe thats all he really wants to see. Again, if he doesnt sign with us, there are still plenty of WR prospects out there.
I dont mind us making certain talented players a priority, but I also dont like to see us putting all of our eggs in one basket either.

If I'm anyone in contact with Jacobs I hope they just inform him that the odds of Meyer being OSUs coach when he graduates is pretty much slim and none... The odds of KF being Iowa's HC in 4 or 5 yrs aren't that great either but better than his...
I would like it if Jacobs would honor his commitment to Iowa. But if he doesn’t, its not the end of the world. There are still plenty of unsigned talented LB’s out there.
Our chances of signing Bell are slim, but we are having more success targeting the WR’s than we did last year. Maybe thats all he really wants to see. Again, if he doesnt sign with us, there are still plenty of WR prospects out there.
I dont mind us making certain talented players a priority, but I also dont like to see us putting all of our eggs in one basket either.
These are both good points.

I would say, though, that the allure of Ohio State, especially for guys who grow up in the area, goes way beyond the head coach. Also, we kind of have already put our eggs in one basket with Bell. There actually aren't any solid WR prospects left at this point, and Iowa spent its time focusing on Bell - both because he's an outstanding prospect, and, because they wanted him to know that he's the priority. That said, I'm sure they have a short list of backups on the board. Those "backups" have historically worked out quite well for Iowa. Well, except at the WR position anyway :confused:.

These are both good points.

I would say, though, that the allure of Ohio State, especially for guys who grow up in the area, goes way beyond the head coach. Also, we kind of have already put our eggs in one basket with Bell. There actually aren't any solid WR prospects left at this point, and Iowa spent its time focusing on Bell - both because he's an outstanding prospect, and, because they wanted him to know that he's the priority. That said, I'm sure they have a short list of backups on the board. Those "backups" have historically worked out quite well for Iowa. Well, except at the WR position anyway :confused:.
Since Jacobs is a LB I don't see there being any difference with how he's been recruited than Bell. We want them both pretty darn bad I think. I think our odds of getting Bell aren't great. All the rumors on Brohm help us I would think but he's got so many good options he can't go wrong almost. Jacobs could come and be a heck of a player pretty early on for us if he were to come. We play an NFL style D that would allow him to flourish out there.

Since Jacobs is a LB I don't see there being any difference with how he's been recruited than Bell. We want them both pretty darn bad I think. I think our odds of getting Bell aren't great. All the rumors on Brohm help us I would think but he's got so many good options he can't go wrong almost. Jacobs could come and be a heck of a player pretty early on for us if he were to come. We play an NFL style D that would allow him to flourish out there.
It's hard to compare, but I would say that in terms of pure effort and leg work, we have much more invested in Bell. Unfortunately, I agree, I think the odds he ends up here at this point is less than 5%.

It's hard to compare, but I would say that in terms of pure effort and leg work, we have much more invested in Bell. Unfortunately, I agree, I think the odds he ends up here at this point is less than 5%.
True. Less 'work' goes into recruiting a kid that you already have committed like we've had in Jacobs case for awhile. When you don't have him and your chasing him the whole time it's more of that leg work as you say. I wonder what our odds of even keeping Jacobs may be now. The only thing in our favor there is not only is OSU not exactly their same dominant self but Meyer is well who he is...

I may be in the minority here, but I just have a gut feeling that Jacobs stays a Hawk. As stated, he plans to early enroll, and his visit to OSU is only an unofficial, as according to KF they have spoken about it and OK'd it. Maybe he doesn't want to uproot all the planning he's done to be at Iowa early.

I may be in the minority here, but I just have a gut feeling that Jacobs stays a Hawk. As stated, he plans to early enroll, and his visit to OSU is only an unofficial, as according to KF they have spoken about it and OK'd it. Maybe he doesn't want to uproot all the planning he's done to be at Iowa early.

All those things make sense. I guess it is hard to find faith in anything football related right now.

So, Eichenberg decommitted from BC and is most likely going to Ohio State. I would imagine this will take away the offer to Jacobs which keeps him a Hawkeye. Anyone with the insider scoop willing to confirm my thinking?

So, Eichenberg decommitted from BC and is most likely going to Ohio State. I would imagine this will take away the offer to Jacobs which keeps him a Hawkeye. Anyone with the insider scoop willing to confirm my thinking?

From the Dir. of Recruiting at one the OSU websites...........

" has been told that the offer to Jacobs has zero to do with how Ohio State feels about its pursuit of Cleveland St. Ignatius linebacker Tommy Eichenberg. The Buckeyes absolutely would love to add them both along with Cade Stover at linebacker in the class of 2019."

I would add that since Jacobs is in on an unofficial visit that should he later schedule an official visit we would all likely agree our odds go down further for keeping him aboard. Have heard that NCAA rules even allow an extra visit to a school should that school change head coaches during this recruiting time period. So he could visit again under a new regime should Meyer depart.

All this taking the visit while committed talk and threatening to yank offer if you take it stuff is just so circumstantial. If your an Iowa and the kid you have is looking to move up like he is what leverage does Iowa have? Zip. But if a kid wants to go visit Kansas after committing to us we tell him fine but you better go there then cause our offer is gone... It's too bad communication wasn't more clearer in the age where it's so easy to do. I mean that's what it boils down to for me.

He hasn't done anything other than visit Ohio State.

It's a fluid situation. Iowa has an in-home visit with him this week.

He hasn't done anything other than visit Ohio State.

It's a fluid situation. Iowa has an in-home visit with him this week.

Some OSU gurus say he's making a decision "soon".

How would you read the JUCO LB from Ft. Dodge being in attendance at the NE game........potential fall back or in addition to Jacobs?