Iowa Basketball: The Cold Reality

Jon made an excellent point about the 'old school' of coaching not working in today's athletic world. Lickliter has no connection with the players. That cold, detached professional approach does not work in today's athletic world.

I've heard people try to compare the persona and demeanor of Lick to Kirk Ferentz. There is no comparison. Ferentz is not a cold, detached professional, he is just a professional who has a very close connection with his players. He is a very warm-hearted person who puts his players first.

Lick does not.

This is the first time I've said it, but I want Lick to resign.

I want him to leave now.

I've had a complete belly full of him.

GlidingHawk

Did anyone see how emotional coach K got on senior night for Duke vs. NC. As much as I dislike Duke, he truly cares about his players. Though we never see Lick get a player to his senior night I doubt he would be shedding a tear.

So would Bobby Knight fail if he ever coached again?

Bobby Knight will never be a top flight coach again because college is about recruiting and he will never get the top talent again, he never could to Texas Tech. He can be a good coach but never national championship type again.

So would Bobby Knight fail if he ever coached again?

Bobby Knight had a very close connection to his players. It was not detached. Knight was in their face, but I'll guarantee he had a strong bond with most of them off camera. Most of his former players would say that Knight was a very positive influence and was very supportive during and after their playing days.

Lickliter is completely detached from the players. Most players will say he is a negative influence. Miller said Lickliter didn't say a word to Anthony Tucker for 4 weeks after he returned. What is that all about?

Glidinghawk

Bobby Knight had a very close connection to his players. It was not detached. Knight was in their face, but I'll guarantee he had a strong bond with most of them off camera. Most of his former players would say that Knight was a very positive influence and was very supportive during and after their playing days.

Lickliter is completely detached from the players. Most players will say he is a negative influence. Miller said Lickliter didn't say a word to Anthony Tucker for 4 weeks after he returned. What is that all about?

Glidinghawk
Did you notice how long it took Lick to come check on Cully after he went down the last game? As if he was too busy?

Bob Knight's last years at Indiana and his Texas Tech days were nothing to write home about.
The poster who talked about Lickliter not speaking to Tucker after his incident, is correct. As of 10 days after the announcement to the press of Tucker's departure, Lickliter NEVER announced it to his teamates.

Knight started fading in the 90's at IU for that very reason...his old school approach did not work anymore,and only the tradition of IU kept some recruits coming.

Thank you Jon Miller,for giving voice to what most observant hardcore Iowa bb fans can plainly see....lick is not a good fit for the Iowa bb program.
I have come to see that lick was a good fit for Butler, probably,but even there,I am not sure,as they have flourished since he left,but Butler is one of the only places where he could have real success,imo. It is a unique bb school,in the middle of'' bb as religion'' region that produces enough local kids to stock that program with talent that believes in his approach.

Iowa is a whole different kettle of fish. Iowa does not have enough local talent to stock a good big ten team,unless you get every single kid, including the Barnes,which is not realistic.
Iowa needs a salesman/coach. Lick is the opposite. He is a grinder,willing and eager to take the less talented kid and build him up for 4 years...a path to nowhere unless the kid is talented to start with.

Please stay on this Jon. I just think true Iowa fans should want this to end quickly and without rancor. Better for Lick,better for fans,better for the university of Iowa.
Cut a deal with lick, have him resign with dignity,and start the rebuild this year,not next year. Get a young,smart,energetic coach, like Pastner of Memphis,who knows how the college game operates in the 21st century. Get our Matta...cut your losses Barta...now. An average of 10,000 empty seats this season in CHA is screaming for a change...NOW!

With Iowa's budget (I knew it was high, but h-e-l-l-o!), they have to fire Todd. It seems to me that Iowa shouild be able to afford a homerun hire.

Just listened to that podcast.

Wow.

I was particularly struck by the following:
1) Lickliter's complete lack of fostering relationships with his players
2) Lickliter's complete disregard for any of the state's AAU programs
3) The fact that our athletic department rankes something like 15th in revenue, right behind Notre Dame.
4) Jon thinks that Aaron Fuller has a 40-50% chance of transferring

The Athletic Department can afford to buy out Todd Lickliter's contract if Notre Dame could afford Charlie Weis's buyout.

Perhaps a coaching change is closer than we think.

If Barta does not make a change and continues to publicly declare his support and enthusiasm for Lickliter, I have to admit I would have serious concerns about his ability to judge the situation.

This could be an interesting next couple of weeks.

I am listening to this and my mind is blown. I can't believe how incendiary this is. He is really putting into eloquent words what we are all feeling.

I think Lick is done.

Just listened to that podcast.

Wow.

I was particularly struck by the following:
1) Lickliter's complete lack of fostering relationships with his players
2) Lickliter's complete disregard for any of the state's AAU programs
3) The fact that our athletic department rankes something like 15th in revenue, right behind Notre Dame.
4) Jon thinks that Aaron Fuller has a 40-50% chance of transferring

The Athletic Department can afford to buy out Todd Lickliter's contract if Notre Dame could afford Charlie Weis's buyout.

Perhaps a coaching change is closer than we think.

If Barta does not make a change and continues to publicly declare his support and enthusiasm for Lickliter, I have to admit I would have serious concerns about his ability to judge the situation.

This could be an interesting next couple of weeks.

Are we becoming a JC stepping stone for players. Come to Iowa so you can prove yourself and go to a respectable bball school? Or a school that can win more than 10 games?

I listened this morning. I applaud JM. He has really grown as a host. I don't agree with every point but it was well thought out by a guy who obviously cares about the program.

Jon made an excellent point about the 'old school' of coaching not working in today's athletic world. Lickliter has no connection with the players. That cold, detached professional approach does not work in today's athletic world.

I've heard people try to compare the persona and demeanor of Lick to Kirk Ferentz. There is no comparison. Ferentz is not a cold, detached professional, he is just a professional who has a very close connection with his players. He is a very warm-hearted person who puts his players first.

Lick does not.

This is the first time I've said it, but I want Lick to resign.

I want him to leave now.

I've had a complete belly full of him.

GlidingHawk

agree with you 100%. I think I finally hit my tipping point. His dis-connect with the players is what i cant take anymore.

Latest posts