Iowa Basketball Recruits

You are officially the Debbie Downer on CJ. His team won Kentucky's HS championship and he was named MVP of the tournament. His first opponent's coach said CJ looked as good as anyone he had seen all year. I didn't see Saturday's stats but his team blew out the other team so he didn't play the whole game. I know he had 32 yesterday, was 4-6 from three and I'm guessing he was close to 50% from 3 for the year, at least 49.5%.

Looks like a slightly taller version of J Bo to me and that wouldn't be bad in this day and age, to have two threats from 3 out there. You can see by how many upsets there have been in the Dance to see the impact of having good 3 pt. threats out there.

He might be another BE or another JBo, who knows but we'll see.
I hope he turns out to be awesome, but the overall talent in Kentucky high school basketball is too lame to ignore, IMO.

I hope he turns out to be awesome, but the overall talent in Kentucky high school basketball is too lame to ignore, IMO.

I want to believe that he will be an elite shooter in college too, but 83% from the free throw line? That's oddly low for a sharpshooter. Most elite high school guys shoot 90+%. It could a fluke, but it is in line with your thoughts on KY HS basketball. As for him winning a championship, you always like to see it, but he also had a 7'0 center on his team that was the #1 recruit in the state according to 247. I just hope he can be a plus defender. We could use some 3 and D guys.

CJ had high major offers, has some size, handles the ball well, and scores in the lane in addition to shooting lights out. Hopefully that skill set translates into playing D!

What gets me excited about Joe is how he kept getting better every year in high school. If that trend continues, who knows what's possible.

I want to believe that he will be an elite shooter in college too, but 83% from the free throw line? That's oddly low for a sharpshooter. Most elite high school guys shoot 90+%. It could a fluke, but it is in line with your thoughts on KY HS basketball. As for him winning a championship, you always like to see it, but he also had a 7'0 center on his team that was the #1 recruit in the state according to 247. I just hope he can be a plus defender. We could use some 3 and D guys.

Saw one of his last tourney games he was 10 of 11 from the line and another he was 5 for 6. He might be over 85% fwiw.

CJ had high major offers, has some size, handles the ball well, and scores in the lane in addition to shooting lights out. Hopefully that skill set translates into playing D!

If the Xavier coaching staff offered CJ, I’m going to go out on a limb and say he’s better than Brady Ellingson. I understand the reasons for doubt because of past recruits fitting a certain mold..but give CJ a chance to play before judging him for Christ’s sake. Not saying you are the one judging him, just what I’ve read in previous posts from others.

Doesn’t look explosive off the dribble but looks like a guy who can move without the ball and is dangerous when given space. Free throw stroke looks smooth. I’m intrigued

Class 4A First Team
AJ Green, sr., Cedar Falls

Joe Wieskamp, sr., Muscatine

Garrett Sturtz, sr., Newton

Tyreke Locure, jr., Des Moines North

Patrick McCaffery, jr., Iowa City West

Class 3A First Team
Brady Sartorious, sr., Mount Pleasant

Matthew Mims, sr., Cedar Rapids Xavier

Elijah Hazekamp, sr., Bishop Heelan

Zach Lester, sr., Clear Lake

Luke Vaske, sr., Norwalk

Class 2A First Team
Trenton Massner, sr., Wapello

Alec Oberhauser, sr., Aplington-Parkersburg

Parker Badding, sr., Kuemper Catholic

Jacob Vis, jr., Western Christian

Dillon Faubel, sr., Treynor

Class 1A First Team
Jake Hilmer, jr., North Linn

Grant DeMeulenaere, sr., Grand View Christian

Brady Gavin, sr., Martensdale-St. Marys

Ryan Miller, sr., North Linn

Nicholas Ruden, sr., St. Mary's Remsen

Honorable mention
Corvon Seales, sr., North Scott

D.J. Carton, jr., Bettendorf

Luke Appel, sr., Marshalltown

Devonte Thedford, sr., Des Moines Hoover

Sam Ingoli, sr., Dowling Catholic

Xavier Foster, soph., Oskaloosa

Jarad Kruse, sr., Oskaloosa

Nate Mohr, sr., Glenwood

Derek Krogmann, jr., West Delaware

Owen Coburn, jr., Spirit Lake

Harris Hoffman, sr., Cascade

Carter Cuvelier, jr., Aplington-Parkersburg

Marco Balderas, sr., South Hamilton

Isaac Prewitt, sr., Des Moines Christian

Ryan Schmitt, jr., Van Meter

Issa Samake, jr., Grand View Christian

Jesse Van Wyk, sr., Lynville Sully

Zack Martinek, jr., West Fork

Carter Boothe, sr., Central Decatur

Jake Carley, sr., At. Albert Council Bluffs

Last edited:
I'm not sure why I even list Suggs, because I really don't believe we have a chance at landing him but here ya go:

Update on the Minny kids:

Jalen Suggs' team won the state title 73-60 against Caledonia

2020 Suggs' stats during the state tourney:
23.7pts per game
6.3 rebounds per game
1 block per game
1.7 steals per game
4.3 assists per game
4.7 turnovers per game

Tyrell Terry's team won the consolation/3rd place game 82-61 versus Austin

2019 Terry's stats during the state tourney(not including the consolation game #incomplete stats)

19pts per game
2.5 rebounds per game
1.5 steals per game
2.5 assists per game
3 turnovers per game

Not sure about their high school stats... but:
Craig Hodges, who won 3 3-point shootouts, shot 82% from the line.
Jason Kapono, who won 2 3-point shootouts, shot 83% from the line.
Dale Ellis, who won a 3-point shootout, shot 82% from the line.
Paul Pierce, who won a 3-point shootout, shot 80% from the line.

There are guys who won 3-point shootouts who shot very well (Mark Price shot 90% in his career) but most are in the 80%-85% range.

Latest posts