• NCAA Tournament

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • NIT Bound

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bohannon was God awful on defense 2 years ago playing on a bad foot. This last year he was nowhere near as bad. If he improves again next year I don't think he will be too much or a deficiency on defense.

Garza hopefully will have an entire healthy year to get stronger quicker and smarter. I'm really hoping it's a noticeable difference for him.

They could both still be bad at defense next year. But there is a chance they could improve to average/slightly below average.
Bohannon came in at last on the entire roster in defensive rating and the worst regular in terms of defensive box plus minus this year. Garza was way down there as well and gets exposed due to his lack of footspeed.

They could improve some but until I see otherwise I would categorize them as defensive liabilities. They’ve played for a few years now, assuming they aren’t going to see too much changes to their athleticism, I don’t see them making a big jump on defense.

I was extremely skeptical about this claim, but again, using Torvik's website he would agree with you. Of the guys on the the B10 list sorted by PRPG! (basically a baseball-esque WAR stat), of the returning players in the league only Winston, Tillman, Coffey, Haarms, Teske, and Jalen Smith are above any of them. They are the only team that has 3 players at 3.5 and up.

http://barttorvik.com/playerstat.ph...year=2019&top=353&start=20181101&end=20190501

I am not saying that with any stats in mind - nor do I rarely use that - I use my eyeballs. I watch B1G basketball. I watch all the teams, every night. That's how I make my claims. I give two shits about per. But thank you for posting that my eyes are in line with the metrics.

Bohannon came in at last on the entire roster in defensive rating and the worst regular in terms of defensive box plus minus this year. Garza was way down there as well and gets exposed due to his lack of footspeed.

They could improve some but until I see otherwise I would categorize them as defensive liabilities. They’ve played for a few years now, assuming they aren’t going to see too much changes to their athleticism, I don’t see them making a big jump on defense.

I'm not saying the defensive rating means absolutely nothing, but I'm not overly impressed with it. Common sense says its impossible to calculate.

I predict Garza scored 17+ per game next year.
The hardest thing for Garza has been staying on the floor for that long of time. He’s a big boy and with how hard he plays it seems like 20-25 minutes is his ideal range, also the foul trouble issue from time to time.

Garza led the team in shots per minute last year, so it’s not like he was shy when he was out there.

I would guess he will be in that 15-16 range.

I actually think Wieskamp will be our high man in that 16 PPG range. He’s going to play over 30 minutes a game I would suspect. In terms of shots per minute Wieskamp was 7th of the regulars last year, my guess is the staff and team is going to tell him to let it fly next year. So a lot more minutes and likely a lot more shots.

Last edited:
I'm not saying the defensive rating means absolutely nothing, but I'm not overly impressed with it. Common sense says its impossible to calculate.
For sure it’s imperfect. The eye test when I would watch Iowa play on TV or in person would tell me those guys are simply defensive liabilities.

I was extremely skeptical about this claim, but again, using Torvik's website he would agree with you. Of the guys on the the B10 list sorted by PRPG! (basically a baseball-esque WAR stat), of the returning players in the league only Winston, Tillman, Coffey, Haarms, Teske, and Jalen Smith are above any of them. They are the only team that has 3 players at 3.5 and up.

http://barttorvik.com/playerstat.ph...year=2019&top=353&start=20181101&end=20190501
Do you know how PPRG is calculated? From what I can tell it is a purely offensive statistic. Which is fine, except we know Bohannon and Garza are great offensive players, defense it’s what sets them back.

Toussaint was co player of the year in New York. The article said he averaged twenty points per game with unrelenting defensive pressure. Its highly unlikely that Fran would start him over Bohannon, but he sounds like he would be a solid backup.

Toussaint was co player of the year in New York. The article said he averaged twenty points per game with unrelenting defensive pressure. Its highly unlikely that Fran would start him over Bohannon, but he sounds like he would be a solid backup.
I think the theory is Toussaint if he’s that good would slide Bohannon over to the 2 guard spot.

For sure it’s imperfect. The eye test when I would watch Iowa play on TV or in person would tell me those guys are simply defensive liabilities.

The eye test tells me the same. But it also tells me Bohannon was way better than the year before and I know Garza had a rough off season.

I predict next year is Joe W's last in a Hawkeye uniform.

Too bad if true. I think we could have had a huge year next year if Cook stayed and I think we could have a huge year the following if Wieskamp stays. Iowa basketball can't handle these early departures.

Losing him hurts, but nothing that shouldn't be over come by recruiting players who should be in theory higher caliber contributors. Mike G was really the only one that I thought twice about. But I give him the nod because of what he provided those teams. A quick PG that kind of made the wheel turn. He made a difference - but I think the position he played was why I put him there.

Baer was a nice player. He filled the stat sheet and impacted games by coming off the bench. He did make a difference for last years team. He's still not a special player the caliber of the other players I listed. I just don't see him that way. You do and that's cool. That doesn't mean I think he wasn't a good player, he was. Just - not something a program like Iowa should think is a big loss or irreplaceable.

I got no problem being one of the only cats that likes this team going into next year. I was that guy last year too.

Agree with most of your takes, but not about Baer. This is not someone who is easy to replace, which makes him special in my mind (it's OK that we disagree :) ).

I don’t care if they break dance on defense, they’re 2 of the best players in the league
And here’s where something again likely doesn’t line up. So we had “two of the best players in the league”, Tyler Cook 2nd team all league, Joe Wieskamp 1st Team All freshman, Nic Baer arguably the best 6th man in the league, and a 4th year junior who grad transferred and heard from over 100 schools including Kansas, yet we finished 10-10 in the league and got a 10 seed. Something doesn’t add up there and of course we know that’s defense.

I like Bohannon and Garza and certainly am glad they are on our team but I don’t think they can be considered great players given that they are liabilities on one end of the floor.

I really think he's a special player, his best basketball is ahead of him and he's nowhere near scratched his ceiling - this is also were Nike and I have disagreed.
Before last season I argued Garza was probably closer to his basketball ceiling than any player on our team. I still believe that to be the case, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a quality player.

Last season Garza’s numbers actually fell from his freshman season in:
FG%, RPG, APG, BPG, TPG (more turnovers this season), PER amongst others

So maybe I wasn’t too far off in that assessment. You seem to have convinced yourself that I’m way off based, the numbers tell a different story.

Anyway I think Garza will still be solid this coming year. I can see him making the biggest jump with that 3pt shot. He played awesome in the NCAA tournament so that’s another good sign going forward.

Before last season I argued Garza was probably closer to his basketball ceiling than any player on our team. I still believe that to be the case, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a quality player.

Last season Garza’s numbers actually fell from his freshman season in:
FG%, RPG, APG, BPG, TPG (more turnovers this season), PER amongst others

So maybe I wasn’t too far off in that assessment. You seem to have convinced yourself that I’m way off based, the numbers tell a different story.

Anyway I think Garza will still be solid this coming year. I can see him making the biggest jump with that 3pt shot. He played awesome in the NCAA tournament so that’s another good sign going forward.

Garza had a 5 game stretch or so where he played God awful. Other than that stretch I think he was better this year. That stretch was just really bad. I honestly think most people feel like white players are always at their ceiling because they lack athleticism. Non athletic players van improve a ton too.

If I’m reading this thread right we lost some guys. What really sucks...It seems we are the only Big 10 team that lost any players that matter.

Almost every team lost guys. Pretty much every team has freshmen coming in...as do we. But how many have RS players that were former starters, have Big 10 experience and are 2 or 3 years removed from high school? Other than MSU and 1 or 2 other top end teams that reload Iowa’s RS players are more proven than freshmen or transfers. Just my opinion.

Garza had a 5 game stretch or so where he played God awful. Other than that stretch I think he was better this year. That stretch was just really bad. I honestly think most people feel like white players are always at their ceiling because they lack athleticism. Non athletic players van improve a ton too.
Garza had no offseason development and was close to missing the season IIRC. He works hard. I think he will improve significantly...especially his rebounding.

Latest posts