• NCAA Tournament

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • NIT Bound

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And here’s where something again likely doesn’t line up. So we had “two of the best players in the league”, Tyler Cook 2nd team all league, Joe Wieskamp 1st Team All freshman, Nic Baer arguably the best 6th man in the league, and a 4th year junior who grad transferred and heard from over 100 schools including Kansas, yet we finished 10-10 in the league and got a 10 seed. Something doesn’t add up there and of course we know that’s defense.

I like Bohannon and Garza and certainly am glad they are on our team but I don’t think they can be considered great players given that they are liabilities on one end of the floor.
And here’s where something again likely doesn’t line up. So we had “two of the best players in the league”, Tyler Cook 2nd team all league, Joe Wieskamp 1st Team All freshman, Nic Baer arguably the best 6th man in the league, and a 4th year junior who grad transferred and heard from over 100 schools including Kansas, yet we finished 10-10 in the league and got a 10 seed. Something doesn’t add up there and of course we know that’s defense.

I like Bohannon and Garza and certainly am glad they are on our team but I don’t think they can be considered great players given that they are liabilities on one end of the floor.
Yeah we have differing opinions - it’s well established. Those 2 are considered 2 of the best players returning in the B1G despite their defense and they will be 2 of the best players in the league this season. I can’t wait for you to realize it. I obviously realize that the weakness in their games is D. That doesn’t change that opinion

Garza had no offseason development and was close to missing the season IIRC. He works hard. I think he will improve significantly...especially his rebounding.
Garza was way better this year. Much more confidence. He was a focal point. If you think he didn’t improve much, you clearly just look at the stats and don’t watch the games with your eye balls

Garza had a 5 game stretch or so where he played God awful. Other than that stretch I think he was better this year. That stretch was just really bad. I honestly think most people feel like white players are always at their ceiling because they lack athleticism. Non athletic players van improve a ton too.
I was just arguing in another thread with some guy that Wieskamp had a higher ceiling than Moss.

Also Garza had at least one slump his freshman year as well.

Garza was way better this year. Much more confidence. He was a focal point. If you think he didn’t improve much, you clearly just look at the stats and don’t watch the games with your eye balls
I have no clue what you’re talking about. Garza was fantastic...without any offseason work. I said nothing to suggest he had a bad season, didn’t improve, etc. Are just looking for excuses to argue? Lighten up.

This offseason he can lift. He can get stronger. He can work on his defense, etc. He works his tail off and I suspect he will be in the 1st team all conference conversation next year.

If you think I don’t like Garza’s game or Garza you can’t read or comprehend. I said he was the best NBA prospect on the team after his freshman year.

I have no clue what you’re talking about. Garza was fantastic...without any offseason work. I said nothing to suggest he had a bad season, didn’t improve, etc. Are just looking for excuses to argue? Lighten up.

This offseason he can lift. He can get stronger. He can work on his defense, etc. He works his tail off and I suspect he will be in the 1st team all conference conversation next year.

If you think I don’t like Garza’s game or Garza you can’t read or comprehend. I said he was the best NBA prospect on the team after his freshman year.

He was just adding to your post.

Bubble NCAA tournament team. What they get out of Nunge/Pemsl and the 2 guard spot will determine NIT or NCAA.

If you took the NBA all stars and had the tumor removed from them the size that Garza did it would be interesting to see how they played the next year. Iowa is going to have a lot of talent next year. It will be a different looking team. I liked last years team, but once you figured the team out it was a pretty easy preparation for the opposing coaches. Next years team will be a lot harder to figure out.

I read a thread about CJ on another board that had posts from people who at least pretend to be in the know talking like CJ owned Moss in practice. If it's true and he's a better player than Moss in practice, that means as long as he can perform with the lights on, he should be an upgrade at the 2. The fact that he played some of his best ball during the state tournament (highest pressure in high school) it's a pretty good sign he can perform under pressure. The more I read and hear about him, the more excited I get.

Also does anyone know what weight Nunge played at last year?

CJF was a Kentucky Player of the Year, JoeT was a New York Co-Player of the Year. Joe W was Iowa’s Gatorade Player of the Year twice, Garza was one of the Top 2 Players in DC, and JBo,Pemsl, and Kriener were all-staters in Iowa. Nunge was one of the top two players coming out of Indiana. CMac and PMac were both rated 4 star players. Not a bad place to start. Sure, we may have had our liabilities on defense last year, but I actually think we will be improved on both ends of the floor. We have a good base of players who I think will have us near or at the top of the B1G conference. This will be an NCAA tourney team for sure. JMHO so take it for what it’s worth.

Last edited:

Yeah, I wasn't replying to YOU directly, more agreeing with you and replying to your posts to others, obviously. haha - Jeez, sorry I didn't see this til just now. I was echoing what you were saying, sorry if you thought that I was saying that to you.

I read a thread about CJ on another board that had posts from people who at least pretend to be in the know talking like CJ owned Moss in practice. If it's true and he's a better player than Moss in practice, that means as long as he can perform with the lights on, he should be an upgrade at the 2. The fact that he played some of his best ball during the state tournament (highest pressure in high school) it's a pretty good sign he can perform under pressure. The more I read and hear about him, the more excited I get.

Also does anyone know what weight Nunge played at last year?
Nunge was listed at 6' 11", 225 as a Freshman. Wafer thin?

You are correct, it is that. That's a good point. That said, I think any team would take 3 returning players with those numbers.

Final formula:

o_adj = avg_eff / opp_de
uFactor = Usage * -.144 + 13.023
altZscore = (ORtg - avg_eff) / uFactor
xORtg = avg_eff + altZscore * 10.143
if Usage > 20: adjoe = (xORtg + ((Usage - 20) * 1.25)) * o_adj
otherwise: adjoe = (xORtg +((Usage - 20) * 1.5)) * o_adj
porpag = (adjoe + (104.9 - avg_eff) - (88)) * actual_Min_per * 69.4 / 500
I’m certainly not complaining about having those guys return. I like each of those three guys. Iowa will be a good offensive team next year I do not question that. Will they be better than they were this year, it’s hard to say for certain. Defense is still the biggest concern, if that area takes a step back it could be trouble.

I think Fran gets more out of lower ranked players than just about anybody, but Toussaint had no other high major offers and was a player ranked in the 200+ range. Those guys very rarely make a big impact as a freshman at most schools.
Two things.

Guards in general are more likely to make an early impact. If it was a 7’ Center ranked in the 200s I would assume that’s a project player.

Secondly it depends on your source, but ESPN actually ranked him as a 4* player. I don’t normally use ESPN for BB recruiting but it’s worth noting at the very least.

Iowa fans have lofty expectations for this kid as finally Fran got the quick PG he needed. Who knows if he will live up to that. The hope is that he was sort of an under the radar guy who really came on late in the process.

I'm not saying he can't make an impact. He certainly could, like I said Fran honestly does a great job with some of these guys. The number of 200+ ranked players in the 247 composite that ISU has turned into productive players is EXTREMELY low.

ESPN I just don't trust at all. They've ranked several ISU prospects as top 100 guys that nobody else did and they all have not been good. I literally don't care about ESPN rankings.

I just don't think lofty expectations for a kid that had no high major offers other than your school is fair to the kid.

Edit: In an effort to be fair, ISU's recruiting class this year includes 3 guys right in the 200+ range. I'm hoping to get legit contributions from one of them at some point in their careers. I expect zero of them to contribute as freshman. I expect 2 of them will transfer at some point.
I’m in agreement that the expectations for Toussaint are probably a little lofty at this point. I think it’s more based on his style of play being something that many Iowa fans have longed for in Fran’s tenure moreso than it is his offers or recruiting ranking.

As you have noted though there is a little bit of proof of concept here with Clemmons, Jok, and Bohannon all being sub 300 level guards who have made impacts at some level as freshman.

Touissant had better offers (Dayton and Wichita State) than any of those above listed guys. Who knows how his recruitment would have played out if he would have stayed uncommitted for longer.

It will be interesting to follow. I’m just hoping for quality defense and ability to handle to ball. I don’t think we need him to score or even create that much offense next year.

Yeah, I wasn't replying to YOU directly, more agreeing with you and replying to your posts to others, obviously. haha - Jeez, sorry I didn't see this til just now. I was echoing what you were saying, sorry if you thought that I was saying that to you.
We’re good.

I’m in agreement that the expectations for Toussaint are probably a little lofty at this point. I think it’s more based on his style of play being something that many Iowa fans have longed for in Fran’s tenure moreso than it is his offers or recruiting ranking.

As you have noted though there is a little bit of proof of concept here with Clemmons, Jok, and Bohannon all being sub 300 level guards who have made impacts at some level as freshman.

Touissant had better offers (Dayton and Wichita State) than any of those above listed guys. Who knows how his recruitment would have played out if he would have stayed uncommitted for longer.

It will be interesting to follow. I’m just hoping for quality defense and ability to handle to ball. I don’t think we need him to score or even create that much offense next year.
I don't expect Toussaint to start or be on the all freshman team, but to say he isn't capable of giving Iowa ten to fifteen minutes of quality play might be wrong. He will bring things to the team no other player can bring. Even if he only focuses on defense for the ten or fifteen minutes it will be a plus.

Even after Bohannon news. Sticking with NIT, was on the fence with NCAA but I think NIT will be pretty good, if we are really down three starters.... Bummer news

Latest posts