Interesting Tidbit on the ISU Sound System Issue

I was pretty much done with this subject and about to call it dead when I read an excerpt from an email communication between a poster on HR and Gary Barta. The poster sent Barta an email asking him about the rules of playing loud background music while the other team is on offense. Here is a blurb that seems interesting from Barta's response:

"We don’t play music over the visiting teams play calling. It is against the rules to play artificial noise once the team goes under center. We asked that it be addressed...but didn’t get cooperation."

Sounds like somebody at Iowa brought this issue to ISU's attention and ISU basically told them to F off.

Pretty much, yes. It's called home field advantage. I am an ISU fan, and even I thought it was a little much. But let's be real... had nothing to do with the outcome. Not trying to be a jerk, but it's kinda makes you look like whiners. I would worry more about your 3rd down defense, pass rush, and kickoff/punt coverage.

Apparently I need to preface my post by saying "I dont think Iowa lost because of the sound system"

That being said, I was at the game on the opposite side from the new scoreboard/sound system in the third to top row. Pretty much as far away from it as you could possibly be. I still had to struggle to hear the person next to me. Ridiculously offensively loud. I'm 28 and think I have pretty decent hearing most of the time.

FWIW the ISU fan next to me said it was just as loud the week before against UNI.

Pretty much, yes. It's called home field advantage. I am an ISU fan, and even I thought it was a little much. But let's be real... had nothing to do with the outcome. Not trying to be a jerk, but it's kinda makes you look like whiners. I would worry more about your 3rd down defense, pass rush, and kickoff/punt coverage.
Agree with all of this. ISU should probably stop the music a bit earlier in order to avoid someone who matters complaining, like Texas, but it's not the reason we lost. Just annoying, as we probably wouldn't do that to you. You'd think the in state rivalry would keep it a little more classy.

When the AD says something about it, it's a little more than just fans whining.

Agree with all of this. ISU should probably stop the music a bit earlier in order to avoid someone who matters complaining, like Texas, but it's not the reason we lost. Just annoying, as we probably wouldn't do that to you. You'd think the in state rivalry would keep it a little more classy.

Yep, you're spot on. You would think that fans of an in-state rival could be classy and admit that they flat out got beat instead of inventing reasons and excuses for their loss. Stay Classy Hawk fans.......

Yep, you're spot on. You would think that fans of an in-state rival could be classy and admit that they flat out got beat instead of inventing reasons and excuses for their loss. Stay Classy Hawk fans.......

Typical Clown fan having no idea what he is talking about, i have YET to see anybody say this was reason Iowa lost....so as typical STAY CLUELESS CLOWN FANS!

Lets just be clear, Im not complaining because I think this cost the hawks the game, Iowa State beat the Hawks no other way to put it. Im complaining because I suffered hearing damage as a result of their absurdly loud sound system.

I read what you are a saying, sally. Was the sound system that bad or was it just during this time of the month?

Still missing it. But judging by your "clever" reply it's probably an age thing...so I understand. Don't worry about it...9th grade English should help.

Last edited:
I'm not making any excuses - we should be able to beat those turkeys even if Rhoads is literally standing in the middle of our huddle dressed as Ronald McDonald saying "whatcha callin? whatcha callin? watcha callin?" in JVB's face over & over.

That said, just as a college football purist, I don't think anything other than crowd noise (and PA's voice/band, only when appropriate) should be allowed while the play/game clock is running. If you want to pump in music or any other god-awful effects (like a siren), save that for TV timeouts, halftime, etc. It's just not college FB to me...sort of ruins the buzz and makes it feel all minor-league gimmicky.

Not singling out the Clones on this one (although there is no doubt they are perpetrators) because it happens all over...I just don't like it - anywhere (I'd complain if they started doing this @ Kinnick).

"NCAA Rule 9-2-1(b)(6) provides that persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals. Rule 1-1-6 dictates that public-address announcers, audio and video system operators, and other persons affiliated with the teams or institutions are subject to the rules.

PENALTY—Dead-ball foul. 15 yards from the succeeding spot [S7 and S27].
Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict with
other rules. Flagrant offenders, if players or substitutes, shall
be disqualified [S47].

NCAA and Pac-10 rules prohibit the use of artificial noise makers or sound devices. The use of laser pointers and/or disconcerting flash photography is also strictly prohibited
Noisemakers
Big 12 Conference and NCAA rules prohibit artificial noisemakers from being brought inside the facility. This includes, but is not limited to, all horns (including air horns), cow bells and whistles. Prohibited items will be confiscated

Last edited:
Oh my god. Nobody is blaming the ******* sound system. Theyre just saying it was abnormally loud.

Yet to read one single poster say it was the reason Iowa lost. Everyone is saying it was ungodly, outrageously, astronomically loud and played when it shouldn't have been.

Note the title of the thread.

Seriously, couldn't you keep it above 4th grade? Go back to the nerd herd on CF.

On TandT this morning, Clown fans were calling in and saying we are just envious of their Interstate 35 scoreboard.

Latest posts