Interesting Tidbit on the ISU Sound System Issue

there were a few plays where I pages close attention and there was one play in particular the music played all the way untill the end of the play. I believe Vandy threw a quick pass but not sure.

Here's the rule:

"Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals." Rule 9(2)(b)(6).

Rule 1(1)(6) defines "persons subject to the rules" as "[a]ll players, substitutes, replaced players, coaches, trainers, cheerleaders in uniform, band members in uniform, mascots in uniform, commercial mascots, public-address announcers, audio and video system operators, and other persons affiliated with the teams or institutions are subject to the rules and are governed by the decisions of the officials."

The penalty is an unsporstmanlike 15-yarder...so if the QB and C couldn't hear because of the high school "siren," they should have said something--preferably on the 4th and goal from the 2 in the 3rd quarter to get a fresh set of downs.

I'm pretty sure this is legal, even though it's pretty classless. If we're at the line, I'm pretty sure it's illegal.

We play plenty of stuff while teams are in the huddle, walking up to the line. It stops when they go under center or are ready for the snap in the shotgun, but we play stuff between plays all the time, especially on 3rd down or 4th if the opponent is going for it.

Did any of you go to the game? They played music during ISU's huddle as well and many times me and the fans surrounding me where telling them to shut it off so we could focus. It was 100% not just when Iowa was on offense.

Either way it was annoying and needs to be fixed.

This. I didn't get the immediate feeling that they were trying to make it hard on Iowa. It is just annoying and way too loud.

Did any of you go to the game? They played music during ISU's huddle as well and many times me and the fans surrounding me where telling them to shut it off so we could focus. It was 100% not just when Iowa was on offense.

Either way it was annoying and needs to be fixed.

Yeah, it was both ways. The guy pumping in the music was completely clueless. It was insane loud, like your ear is directly next to a speaker full blast loud.

We play plenty of stuff while teams are in the huddle, walking up to the line. It stops when they go under center or are ready for the snap in the shotgun, but we play stuff between plays all the time, especially on 3rd down or 4th if the opponent is going for it.

Does not make it classy if we do it too.

(Maybe I'm just a crumugeon. Grumble.)

When the beginning of Crazy Train came on I had to check my drawers. Thought I **** myself.

I love it when it gets loud, but that was TOO loud.

They still have some tinkering to do for sure with it.

How about when ISU gets in the redzone? The redzone thing is annoying as hell

It was out of control. By the way ISU fans the best thing you guys have done is to get that joker off the field who led cheers at the start of the game. You have to admit that was just awful.

I love it when it gets loud, but that was TOO loud.

They still have some tinkering to do for sure with it.

How about when ISU gets in the redzone? The redzone thing is annoying as hell

Oh yes, the Case IH redzone is a staple at Kinnick as well. Its not as loud as a tractor actually driving through your living room like at Jack Trice, but its still there.

This didn't come thru on TV. What was happening? Speaker noise whilst in huddle or whilst under center?

Your TV must suck. It came through loud and clear on mine. Whenever Iowa went under center clones were blaring that stupid siren. Yes they stopped as soon as the ball was snapped, but that is too late.

Extremely classless and poor sportsmanship on their part.

Not calling you a liar..

I'm not sure if you're disputing what I said or calling me a liar? Care to clarify?

nor did intend to, apologies if it came off that way.

I didn't think it was much of a comparison between the Iowa band and the sound system, but if it was up to me as soon as the offense gets IN the huddle the music (whether from a band or scoreboard) should cease. Realize not everyone shares my opinion.

Your TV must suck. It came through loud and clear on mine. Whenever Iowa went under center clones were blaring that stupid siren. Yes they stopped as soon as the ball was snapped, but that is too late.

Extremely classless and poor sportsmanship on their part.

It probably was on there, I just didn't notice it over the blathering on from two guys that had appearantly never seen these teams before.

That sound system made the whole game experience feel like an Arena League game. And playing it while we were under center was bush league. Add that to the "It's 3rd down Cyclone fans - let's make some noise!" from the PA chearleader. They make a joke of themselves. No wonder they're called the Clowns.

I love rock music - loud. But I believe the tradition of college football games is to let the bands be heard. I was at a Notre Dame game a few years back. They don't even have a video board. Just the band and the unbiased PA announcer. I'm not a ND lover, but I do respect tradition.

Latest posts